any pics of SRW truck with flatbed/camper combo?

I,ve got a 2011 Dodge ram Mega Cab diesel and humming around the idea of removing bed and cap and building a flatbed with some tool boxes, both on top and below bed, while the slide on sits between the boxes. We've had the slide on pop up for 7 years and have come to terms with needing a little more organization and storage room for ease of camp set up/break down...Just lookin for some ideas with pics as i have seen a good amount of these rolling down the road and took a few mental notes to put together the perfect quick camp....thanks

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing with my 2006 Dodge and a Palomino Bronco 1200. I hate the wasted space in the area under the wings. I fopund some nice aluminum tool boxes at Nothern Tool that would be perfect.

I'm going to design it so I can still use my roll up toneau cover and my factory Dodge tailgate and tail lights............

The only bad part about using aluminum for boxes is the dust that gets created over shifting cargo, mile after mile will stain and dirty up the compartment. This may be prevented by powdercoating the interiors. I will most likely suck up the little bit of weight for a couple of different sized steel DeeZee or Delta boxes

Spencinator

Adventurer
This is also my plan for the future. Just got the pop top but will probably be a few years before it will be on a flatbed. Here's a quick drawing of what the plan is.

Expododgetechnicaldrawing2.jpg

The truck currently.

IMG_1271.jpg

There is a member on here with a flatbed/camper combo on a 2nd gen dodge that is a nice setup. I believe he just added side tool boxes.

The only thing I'm worried about is by the time the boxes are loaded up with tools, supplies and the camper filled up, the weight will exceed the vehicles GVWR. My truck is rated at 8800lbs and my truck empty is 6400lbs. I havent been able to weigh it yet but with the camper and gear currently I'm probably at 7900lbs. It handles the weight fine but I will be installing rear air bags to help with the weight along with leveling at the camp site.

blakeape

Adventurer
Here's my junk. I'm pretty happy with it, I built the flatbed last June and just picked the boxes up in Feb for $180 off Craigs List. They'll get shot black and tidied up a bit once it warms up.

IMG_0427.jpgIMG_0425.jpgIMG_1019_zps75e54fc1.jpgIMG_1029_zpscb03af07.jpg

This is also my plan for the future. Just got the pop top but will probably be a few years before it will be on a flatbed. Here's a quick drawing of what the plan is.

The only thing I'm worried about is by the time the boxes are loaded up with tools, supplies and the camper filled up, the weight will exceed the vehicles GVWR. My truck is rated at 8800lbs and my truck empty is 6400lbs. I havent been able to weigh it yet but with the camper and gear currently I'm probably at 7900lbs. It handles the weight fine but I will be installing rear air bags to help with the weight along with leveling at the camp site.

that was the first add on to my Dodge, was the air bags, the difference is night and day...well worth the few bucks.

Jakey

Not sure where I saved these picture's from, they're in my cache.
Here's a pretty simple setup with readily available toolboxes. It looks like the camper and boxes have their own platform.

I like Spencinator's rendering with its midget wheelwells so the bed need not be excessively high.

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-2.jpg
    PastedGraphic-2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 42
  • PastedGraphic-1.jpg
    PastedGraphic-1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 25

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Looks like the whole bed is removable with camper and boxes attached...

attachment.php

That's the way I'd build it so I could reinstall my standard-factory bed as needed.

ExpoMike

My plan is to go with a aluminum flat bed, boxes and our FWC. Already bought a used flat bed but am waiting until after Overland Expo before starting.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Recently I spotted a 12v qclb with flatbed mounted Northstar here southbound on I-5. Cabinets filled in the side gaps. He had a mild suspension lift,real bumpers,winch,etc. I would love to bump into that guy someday.

blakeape

Adventurer
Stuck my camper in for the first time with my $180 Craig's List boxes and love it. It was a quick last minute trip, first time with the camper out this year and needs some adjustments, but I really like the functionality and useable space.
IMG_1062_zpsb390704f.jpg IMG_1060_zps7b84a05e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles