Holy Grail Truck

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm officially over the selling the 2500. I decided that for what I paid, I'll never find a similar deal again, and even profiting 200% I still would be hard pressed to find such a low mile one for what I could get for it. Lots of interest though, so I'll treat it like a savings account. If I need money, sell. If I don't, then enjoy!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You might need the motor for a project down the line anyway...ha ha

Exactly, and finding an unmolested motor with only 150k on it for $1500, let alone a complete running driving 5 speed 4x4 truck is not likely to happen again any time soon!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Exactly, and finding an unmolested motor with only 150k on it for $1500, let alone a complete running driving 5 speed 4x4 truck is not likely to happen again any time soon!

I am looking for a complete Cummins drive train for a project including axels. Give me a shout if you find anything...:)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am looking for a complete Cummins drive train for a project including axels. Give me a shout if you find anything...:)

Well, the ole ADD kicked in and someone offered me 3x the amount I paid for the 2500... I'm sure you can figure out what happened next (picture me rolling in a pile of $100 bills). But then this morning a guy pulls up at my neighbours and says with his one tooth "hey, I got me one o them there Dodge pick me up trucks just like that one" (my 98). I say oh yeah? "He says yup, it's a diesel and a 5 speed too... You need any parts?" I say "hmmm, maybe I'll buy the whole truck from you". And so it goes...

We can discuss it over a beverage when you get here. I may go look at the "pick me up truck" this week.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Right after you change your username to "surlytaco". :sombrero:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I can? Makes sense though, I don't see myself in a diesel again anytime soon. Most likely either an F350 Gasser or another Tacoma. If I were a more competent mechanic and willing to spend more of my weekends wrenching, I'd get back into an IDI rig.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We had an 01 Taco double cab with a 3" lift and 285/75-16s on it. It would go anywhere and do most anything. Really miss that truck! I'd stick with your Taco!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well, the ole ADD kicked in and someone offered me 3x the amount I paid for the 2500... I'm sure you can figure out what happened next (picture me rolling in a pile of $100 bills). But then this morning a guy pulls up at my neighbours and says with his one tooth "hey, I got me one o them there Dodge pick me up trucks just like that one" (my 98). I say oh yeah? "He says yup, it's a diesel and a 5 speed too... You need any parts?" I say "hmmm, maybe I'll buy the whole truck from you". And so it goes...

We can discuss it over a beverage when you get here. I may go look at the "pick me up truck" this week.

Wicked! We will do just that...:wings:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
imagejpg1_zps1b5fb6ee.jpg

Hovenator1

I spotted the "Holy Grail" on the local Craigslist here so I'm guessing an " upgrade " has happened! :Wow1: Wish that I had reason to own a dually because that 98 is awesome.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I spotted the "Holy Grail" on the local Craigslist here so I'm guessing an " upgrade " has happened! :Wow1: Wish that I had reason to own a dually because that 98 is awesome.

You'll probably spot it around Abby too as the guy that bought it is a welder living out there. It was kind of a whirlwind thing, but we are going through some changes, and figured it was best to do some shuffling before they were done. I have on and off knee and foot issues with my left leg, and my wife doesn't enjoy driving a stick. Couple that with a lot more work in the city and a desire to trade in the Rubicon on something a lot more "solid" and you have the fixings for the pic above.

The salt n' peppa of it is the '98 has gone to what I hope is a good life in the country, and the Rubicon is being traded in on a '14 3500 srw. I didn't love the dually aspect of things, and only needed it with the camper on. The '14 has 1300 lbs more payload than the '98, and I only have to buy 4 tires at a time. It is a fairly basic truck (hoping to avoid as many electrical issues as possible), but even being an ST (Tradesman) it has more features and luxury than the Laramie '98. The reality kicked in when I realized that I could upgrade the Jeep into a 3 year newer 3500 Cummins for $54 more per month. Since the jeep was staying home on the longer adventures, it didn't make sense. I pick up the new truck tomorrow, but for now you can see what I bought with the Dodge proceeds for the wife to drive instead of the Jeep:

'99 UZJ100 Land Cruiser with lockers and OME suspension. It is so much nicer than the 12 year newer jeep that its ridiculous!

Attachments

• C1DC3F30-CA54-4E86-BDBA-5E64858AB858.jpg
    C1DC3F30-CA54-4E86-BDBA-5E64858AB858.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior