National Luna vs Blue Sea 7622 with bat indicator

nuclearmonkey

Observer
I'm trying to understand the main difference between going with a system like the National Luna, or going with a system like the Blue Sea 7622 Solenoid. As I understand it, the NL gives isolated time in the beginning to charge only the starting battery, then switches over to charge the house, then both. How useful is this? Are there any other main differences that could sway opinion between the two setups? I do notice that the NL has 400A peak, but only 85A continuous.. should this make a difference?

Currently running a Die Hard group 31, will add another AGM as a starting. Will be powering fridge, winch, led lighting, HAM radio, recharging iPad, iPhone, laptop, camera batteries, and headlamps. Will ultimately go with a solar panel as well, but that'll be phase II. :sombrero:

Thanks so much in advance!

-Aaron

4RunAmok

Explorer
The 7622 also only latches batteries after certain voltage is sensed, etc, it is a completely automatic system. The only thing the the National Luna gives you is a meter.

Personally, I could never EVER justify the ENORMOUS price difference between the two.

That, and the Blue Sea is 500A Continuous Duty.

coax

Adventurer
I'm trying to understand the main difference between going with a system like the National Luna, or going with a system like the Blue Sea 7622 Solenoid. As I understand it, the NL gives isolated time in the beginning to charge only the starting battery, then switches over to charge the house, then both. How useful is this? Are there any other main differences that could sway opinion between the two setups? I do notice that the NL has 400A peak, but only 85A continuous.. should this make a difference?

Currently running a Die Hard group 31, will add another AGM as a starting. Will be powering fridge, winch, led lighting, HAM radio, recharging iPad, iPhone, laptop, camera batteries, and headlamps. Will ultimately go with a solar panel as well, but that'll be phase II. :sombrero:

Thanks so much in advance!

-Aaron

I am by no means an expert, but here's a few differences.

-I don't think your statement about the "then switches over to charge the house" is accurate, or at least their documentation doesn't say that. It says it isolates the batteries on start for 5 minutes, and then puts them in parallel. The blue sea will do this, but its based on voltage and has a max 90 second delay.
-The blue sea draws less current when in the parallel state than the national luna, since the NL is a solenoid and the BS is a magnetic latch. (still a pretty small amount of current for the NL).
-The blue sea is way overkill in terms of continuous amperage for 2 battery applications in a truck, so I don't think an 85a continuous rating on the NL is anything to worry about unless you have a monster winch and are running at full load/current draw for long periods of time.

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Thanks for the replies! I see a lot of people running the Blue Sea 'latch?'. I didn't know it was a magnetic latch & not a solenoid. For our purposes of dual battery setups, is their a significant difference between the solenoids and magnetic latches?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94