transporting diesel in 55 gal drums??

DaveNay

Adventurer
When I go out for more than a few days at a state park or lake that has RV hookups, I will be pulling the trailer anyway for gear, generator, food and supplies. With the camper tank and the trailer tanks I will be carrying about 85 gallons of water too. Yes that is a lot of water, more than 700lbs of water, good for two people and a dog for about a month. Just the water and fuel in the trailer will weigh around 875 lbs. Fully loaded I expect to pull around 1800 lbs in the trailer, plus my truck camper. The weight is really not a problem with my truck, I have pulled a lot more weight. I do really want a good in bed tank, but until I find one cheap, this will do the job. I will be putting E rated tires on the trailer and adding overload springs to deal with the weight. In the long run I want to swap the trailer axle for a 3/4 ton rear end and use matching wheels for my truck.

Don't forget an appropriately sized spill kit....Tread Lightly

http://www.sellarscompany.com/eversoak-general-purpose-20-gallon-drum-spill-kit.html

99020_20galspillkit.jpg

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
It would give awesome range, but unless I was in the outback I could not justify hauling that much fuel. The liability of it in the US, especially only in 55gal drums would be enough for me to not do it with the availability of diesel at almost every station. If it is for when SHTF, then I'd just keep it stored at home and rotate it out every so often. Liability and DOT won't matter in the zombie apocalypse or whatever happens.

I would also start looking at the GCVWR of your setup with camper plus your loaded trailer. In an accident they are going to look at that, then look at the fact your hauling around 110 gal of diesel in unbaffled tanks etc... it just has bad news written all over it. Then you have to look at what that drums were used for, they could be labelled "do not reuse" just like herbicide containers, that could be more liability and fines there.

I see a lot more cons than pro's with this.

I'd also look more closely at the HAZMAT laws, as even for private use I would think you would still need to be placarded. Placards are for the safety of the first responders in the event of an accident, and skirting the laws there is kind of crappy IMO as that puts the people trying to save your butt, or the other persons butt in danger

If placards are required that just screams "pull me over."

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
As soon as you hit 1001 lbs. of fuel, you are required to placard the trailer... On all four sides. You will therefore also be required to have a hazmat endorsement on your driver's license (average cost of $100-150 depending on your state, waiting for a background check, etc.). Even under 1001 lbs. weight, the drums will still require a hazmat label on them because they are not DOT approved containers or ORM-D quantities. While you're at it, if placarded, you may now be required to go through DOT inspection stations ("scale houses") which would once again lead you into a situation of law enforcement curiosity.

Add to the above-stated DOT requirements, you're going to bring Law enforcement attention because it's just not a reasonable sounding need for normal situations.

Last edited:

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I'm a WMO guy, regularly haul extra tanks to increase my range, and have never heard a peep from a LEO. Instead of the drums, I would recommend you use a 270 gal plastic tote (if you have the space). It'll fit in your bed, it has a steel cage around it, is affordable (~$60), and people use them all the time to haul a variety of liquids. I personally have hauled 400+ gallons of WMO/Diesel in 2 separate totes and never had an issue. In addition to your camper shell, you could also throw a blanket over it to keep it stealthy and you'll be good to go.

If a plastic tote is too large, a transfer tank is the way to go. Tractor Supply regularly has sales and you can pick up a 100 gal tank for ~$250. If that's out of your range, Craigslist is also a good hunting ground although occassionaly I see people listing the used tanks for more than the new ones.

As for placarding, it's a state by state thing. I've seen the 1,001 lb number before but only recall it being cited in one state, and even then it was a loose interpretation. As food for thought, semi's don't run placards and they carry upwards of 300 gallons of diesel in their twin tanks. When I researched the laws prior to running my big tanks, I found that I was good even at 300 gallons because my tanks weren't permanently mounted...the law in almost every state makes a distinction between permanently vs temporary mounted tanks.

As for the WVO/SVO legality argument, this has also come up before and the EPA has NEVER fined someone for running veggie oils. From their documentation, the issue is only with 100% veggie oil and not blends anyway. It's a small sampling point but I've run nearly 30,000 miles on WMO and have only received thumbs up and kudos from LEO's, not to mention that I've never seen a EPA Agent conducting road stops or sampling fuel.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Hate to tell you, but placarding is federal, it is NOT state by state. 49 CFR 172.504 (Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations section 172.504) If they have not bothered you it is because you have not been pulled over by a DOT trained officer yet. Diesel tanks are usually no more then 110 gallon. Most often people are not caught until something happens. The fines get into 5 figures quickly, at my old job a competitor got a 10,000 fine for shipping 1 gallon of a flammable liquid as non-hazmat. The liquid got damaged and they got popped.

NY had a good summary on their DOT website, but this part applies everywhere I believe.

Cargo fuel tanks shall not exceed 150 gallon capacity per vehicle. Vehicle transporting fuel in cargo tanks of 115 gallons or more shall display either a hazardous materials placard indicating identification number NA 1993 for diesel fuel or a placard indicating 'Fuel Oil'. When empty, the placard shall not be displayed. Employees operating a placarded vehicle shall have a CDL License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

Placarded vehicles transporting hazardous materials shall carry appropriate shipping papers. Shipping papers shall be within the driver's immediate reach or in a holder mounted on the driver's door. When the vehicle is unoccupied, shipping papers shall be on the driver's seat or in the holder mounted on the driver's door.

Sample shipping papers shall read:

(Specify #) CARGO TANK(S) DIESEL FUEL 3 NA 1993 PGIII

In Case of Emergency Call (work location phone #)

Cargo tanks shall be constructed of a minimum of 14 gauge steel or 16 gauge aluminum. New tanks purchased shall not exceed 110 gallon capacity, and as such will not require placarding.

'No Smoking' shall be prominently displayed on the vehicle, and smoking prohibited within 50 feet during fueling.

Pick up trucks shall be used to transport fuel whenever possible. Tanks shall be mounted directly against the front of the truck body box and fastened to the frame whenever possible with anchor bolts. If fastening to the frame is not possible, and it is necessary to mount the tanks solely to the box, a 6 inch x 6 inch x 3/16 inch steel backing plate shall be used for each tank.

Any void between tanks shall vent to the atmosphere by a minimum of a 1 inch inside diameter drain. Any connecting structure shall have inspection openings of sufficient size and number to permit proper visual inspection. All joints shall be welded in conformance with ASME Code of Welding Procedures, and where possible accessible for inspection.

A 10 gauge steel bulkhead shall be mounted directly behind the fuel tank, securely fastened to the body of the truck on the floor and both sides. There shall be at least 1 inch space between the bulkhead and the fuel tank. The tank shall be equipped with a fill vent assembly with a flame arrester.

Pumps shall be UL approved, with wire cored bonding hose and antisiphon valve. Any piping between the pump and the tank shall be Schedule 80.

Vehicles transporting fuel shall be equipped with at least one 10 pound fire extinguisher, either BC or ABC dry chemical, and mounted to be easily accessible.

The vehicle shall be equipped with a wire mesh cap protector screen. The exhaust system of the truck in the area below where the cab and body meet shall have a heat shield.

Scott Brady

Founder
You might also have an issue going into Mexico. On an early trip to Mexico, I was flagged for secondary inspection and they said I could not bring extra fuel into Mexico in tanks that were not permanently mounted. Unfortunately, my vehicle tank was also full, so it would have just meant pouring the fuel into another vehicle or losing the fuel cans. Fortunately, they realized we were just dumb tourists and ultimately let us go with the fuel. Since then, I have crossed the border dozens of times and not another issue, but it is something to keep in mind.

I suspect the reason is that some of the road work is covered by profit/taxes/revenue from the PEMEX stations, much like in the US and other countries.

You may have no intentions of crossing borders, but based on your mileage estimate to Guatemala City, I thought you might appreciate the insight.

Another important note is wear and tear between the drums as they are lashed in the trailer. We needed to put wood between the drums to prevent leaks from high vibration wear on the Canning Stock Route.
attachment.php

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
Hate to tell you, but placarding is federal, it is NOT state by state. 49 CFR 172.504 (Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations section 172.504) If they have not bothered you it is because you have not been pulled over by a DOT trained officer yet. Diesel tanks are usually no more then 110 gallon. Most often people are not caught until something happens. The fines get into 5 figures quickly, at my old job a competitor got a 10,000 fine for shipping 1 gallon of a flammable liquid as non-hazmat. The liquid got damaged and they got popped.

NY had a good summary on their DOT website, but this part applies everywhere I believe.

Cargo fuel tanks shall not exceed 150 gallon capacity per vehicle. Vehicle transporting fuel in cargo tanks of 115 gallons or more shall display either a hazardous materials placard indicating identification number NA 1993 for diesel fuel or a placard indicating 'Fuel Oil'. When empty, the ......

I'm not being pompous, I'm just listing it point by point so I don't leave anything out.

1) Semi's routinely have (1) 150 gallon tank on each side of the truck. Some of these trucks even run auxillary tanks and carry even more fuel. Diesel tanks on semi's are almost always more than 110 gallons and do not have placards on them.

2) The summary that you quoted was from the NY DOT website, but it was in the section dealing with "NYDOT Employee Safety and Health", meaning that those are the regulations for their employees when operating NY State vehicles, not the rules for the general public.

3) I would be interested in seeing your competitors ticket for $10,000 over a gallon. Was it a dangerous corrosive liquid? I'm not disputing that it happened, I'd just like some additional facts.

4) I have never been stopped by the DOT but I have stopped and spoken with the DOT. All have indicated that unless it is a random fuel check, they do not engage private vehicles UNLESS the vehicle is blatantly unsafe. Even then, they'll usually call in the local or state police to finish the check. I have been stopped with my 105 gallon tank in the bed of my truck along with a half full tote (about 135 gallons) and haven't had any problems. I've crossed from MI to Canada with ~175 gallons of WMO in a tote on my trailer and haven't had any problems. The DOT (Department of Transportation) and Small Business Commercial Transportation Federal and State laws pertain to commercial motor vehicles, not private, and definitely not to RV's (technically they do apply to RV's but not really).

5) I don't know everything but I do know that in NY I am violating NY law when I transport WMO in greated capacities of 60 gals since they have a limit of 500 lbs. That being said, I've talked to several LEO's who all indicated that unless I'm pulled over, have oil leaking all over my truck and on the ground, and am using containers that clearly aren't safe, they could care less about my 60+ gals of oil since there's trucks flying by with 350+ gallons of much more volatile diesel, not to mention all the equipment trucks that have 100 gal auxillary bed tanks.

If I were to go with Federal Regulations, they don't seemed concerned in the least as long as I'm a private guy carrying less than 3500 gallons and/or the WMO is going to be used to power the vehicle to which it's attached.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...011-title49-vol2-subtitleB-chapI-subchapB.pdf

True, my experiences are anecdotal but it's also a reality that a private guy carrying a tote (or two) full of diesel in a covered trailer, with a blanket on the tote, isn't going to attract any attention.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I hauled close to 300 gallons WVO from the states all the way down to Costa Rica and had enough to get back in 12 valve cummins. Yes it was too much weight, and a pain in the butt, and yes I got hassled many times, in El Salvador they gave me 24 hours to leave the country, not sure if that was true or would be enforced but I was broke and on my way home so I made it out in a less than 24 hours. Guatemala was no problem going both ways. I don't recomend this, but like I said i was broke and it was either go or stay at home, I chose to go.

roadrider2617

I drove a semi over the road for a few years, I would think D.O.T. Rules at the federal level would apply. They specifically limit flammable liquids and materials being transported on public roads. Check into weather or not they would apply in your situation. The fines could be pretty hefty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles