transporting diesel in 55 gal drums??

Kellikastle

Probably part of an old post here somewhere... but, is any one familiar with the laws on transporting 55 gal drums of diesel for PRIVATE use in a truck bed trailer??
All I find on it is that it is OK as long as it is for private use and a limit on 119 gal. I only wish to haul 110 gal of diesel in two drums secured in a trailer. That will give my rig more than 1,300 miles of additional fuel supply for a range of more than 1,660 miles. To give an idea of the range that gives me, from my driveway it is, 1,338 miles to LA California, 1,326 miles to Mexico city, 1,427 miles to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 1,997 miles to Guatemala City, Guatemala and 1,760 miles to Quebec Canada. As the trailer will be dedicated to cargo the drums will be anchored down quite firmly so that is not a concern. Not that I would go any of those places but just for reference. YES, I know it would be best to have a commercially built transfer tank but I have several like new 55 gal drums on hand.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
People get suspicious when you have 880 pounds of fuel on a trailer.
Seems fine to me as long as the trailer can handle it.

JPNCA

Adventurer
One thing to think about is there is not any baffles in those drums. It may be enough to push the trailer around a bit

DaveNay

Adventurer
Your range is also reduced by the fact that at the beginning you will be hauling an additional 1000lbs (fuel + barrels + transfer pump + hoses + barrel dolly?). That assumes the trailer is used for other gear already, if the trailer exist solely for hauling the barrels, then you are hauling that additional weight too. That extra weight reduces your fuel economy by a not insignificant amount.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have done stuff like that before but it was in the back of a 26' Uhaul so no one could see it and it was in the US so no international borders to cross. You might have a problem crossing borders too with that much fuel in 55 gallon drums. You will also be a bigger target for fuel thieves in any country you are in. If it were me I would try real hard to have a 80-100 gallon transfer tank in the front of my pickup bed and have it somewhat out of sight. Even in the US you could have problems in some areas with the post 911 stuff with law enforcement with two 55 gallon drums in plain sight.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
They would attract way too much attention- both when parked up and at borders- I imagine it would be a nightmare comming back north at the borders and roadside stops

Kellikastle

I can't put the fuel tank in the truck bed, I have a truck camper in the bed. As I see the point that it might bother some folks to see that much fuel and to prevent theft, I am planning on putting a camper shell on the top of the truck bed trailer. YES it will be well ventilated, both passive venting with simple RV roof vents and floor/side vents while on the move, and also with a pair of solar camper/RV vent fans for when it is parked. I have most of the parts on hand. Fuel access will be through the side windows that will be replaced with locking sheet metal covers instead of glass. No gasoline cans or propane will be transported “inside” the trailer!! Other cargo, including a 3k gasoline generator, will be accessed from the back and custom generator box will need to be built so that the heat and exhaust can be kept out of the trailer. Note: This trailer is for cargo only, not for sleeping in. Also I have no plans to cross out of the USA. I do understand the security concerns of law enforcement, I was working in downtown Oklahoma City on the day the federal building was hit. I was lucky but I lost some friends that day, I still can't walk through the memorial site.
IMG241.jpg

Last edited:

eggman918

Adventurer
What about mounting the fuel tanks that were original to that bed? Or fab up a pair of under bed tanks you would be using space that would be otherwise unused,just thinking out loud.

Kellikastle

NOT FUNNY at all. Perhaps you missed where I said I had friends KILLED that day! If it had happened literally one min later I would be dead with them.

Last edited:

Kellikastle

WOW, only silence! hummm...
OK so, I am planning to put dual RV water tanks under the bed, 35+gal in front and 15-20gal in the back, so no putting the fuel tanks back down there. At least one drum of fuel will go in the trailer hidden by the truck bed shell. If it is only one 55gal drum it will be center front mounted and fill/ pump from the "pass through" window of the camper shell, those will be replaced with metal doors/hatches. One drum will give me 1000+ miles of range and have less noticeable sloshing/movement when cornering or braking. Less than 400 additional pounds of weight. Besides, just the 55 gal of pump diesel will run near $250. If it was not illegal to run filtered used cooking oil mixed with 1/3 diesel, it would only be around $70 of pump fuel. (Illegal as in, IRS "road tax" evasion and a $32,500 per day fine from the EPA for running "non approved" fuel on roads) Too bad it is a criminal act, it is the only "carbon negative" fuel available, SVO emits less carbon than the plants used to make it took in and only 1/3 the sulfur emissions when mixed with 1/3 pump fuel. Even running "red" agricultural diesel is a far, far smaller ticket....and that still dumps carbon and sulfur in to the air. Funny how a near free and Eco-friendly fuel is against the law.
WVO/SVO runs afoul of the EPA Clean Air Act for a few reasons:

WVO/SVO has never been certified as a fuel
Running an uncertified fuel on public roads is a violation of the clean air act ($32,500/day)
Any modification of a vehicle that allows you too run an uncertified fuel is a violation ($2,750)
http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20420
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/vehicles/grease-car.htm
:oops:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Look into a transfer tank that goes in the bed, I see them on craigslist from time to time. Its lower than a 55 gallon drum so trailer will handle better, it will be easier to hide with shell on, and they are usually DOT legal.

Darwin

Explorer
Your range is also reduced by the fact that at the beginning you will be hauling an additional 1000lbs (fuel + barrels + transfer pump + hoses + barrel dolly?). That assumes the trailer is used for other gear already, if the trailer exist solely for hauling the barrels, then you are hauling that additional weight too. That extra weight reduces your fuel economy by a not insignificant amount.
What he said. Sounds like a lot more effort than it is worth. It would seem to be much easier and better to just stop at a gas station and fuel up. Leave the trailer at home.

Kellikastle

When I go out for more than a few days at a state park or lake that has RV hookups, I will be pulling the trailer anyway for gear, generator, food and supplies. With the camper tank and the trailer tanks I will be carrying about 85 gallons of water too. Yes that is a lot of water, more than 700lbs of water, good for two people and a dog for about a month. Just the water and fuel in the trailer will weigh around 875 lbs. Fully loaded I expect to pull around 1800 lbs in the trailer, plus my truck camper. The weight is really not a problem with my truck, I have pulled a lot more weight. I do really want a good in bed tank, but until I find one cheap, this will do the job. I will be putting E rated tires on the trailer and adding overload springs to deal with the weight. In the long run I want to swap the trailer axle for a 3/4 ton rear end and use matching wheels for my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles