1988 Chevrolet Suburban V20 build

cop car

Observer
finally got the HMMWV tires and wheels on it. the front stick out like an inch or two, id like for them to be fully under the truck, but that will be much later to fix that

IMG_3640.jpgIMG_3639.jpgIMG_3648.jpgIMG_3642.jpgIMG_3643.jpg

cop car

Observer
IMG_3644.jpg
this is the phone flat against the side of the truck, the hub only sticks out just a little bit, something else I need to take care of. getting a different hub that only sticks out an inch or two
IMG_3645.jpg
here is the front tire sticking out of the fender. I know that people were having dually hubs machined down for srw offset, so I don't know if I can have mine cut down just like an inch or inch and a half so that it brings the tire and wheel up under the truck

right now though I am fighting a random dying issue. there is no real pattern, and it has a new fuel pump, sometimes it will die pulling up to a stoplight/sign, sometimes itll die just driving down the highway, sometimes when its just sitting there idling. sometimes it will start right back up, other times it will start and die, start and die, then still other times itll take it 15-30 to sit there before itll start back up. its really pissing me off, because this motor is not staying in this truck and I hate spending money on this stupid motor that im not even going to use next year.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Might be some thing in the tank. Drw hubs get machined back to the ears where the disc bolts on so about 4".

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
this is the phone flat against the side of the truck, the hub only sticks out just a little bit, something else I need to take care of. getting a different hub that only sticks out an inch or two

here is the front tire sticking out of the fender. I know that people were having dually hubs machined down for srw offset, so I don't know if I can have mine cut down just like an inch or inch and a half so that it brings the tire and wheel up under the truck

right now though I am fighting a random dying issue. there is no real pattern, and it has a new fuel pump, sometimes it will die pulling up to a stoplight/sign, sometimes itll die just driving down the highway, sometimes when its just sitting there idling. sometimes it will start right back up, other times it will start and die, start and die, then still other times itll take it 15-30 to sit there before itll start back up. its really pissing me off, because this motor is not staying in this truck and I hate spending money on this stupid motor that im not even going to use next year.

Check/replace your ignition control module (can't really check it so I would just replace) and the pigtail connector for the ignition, they have a tendency to crack and come loose. Really sounds like a bad ignition control module though.

Also I think the DRW axle gives you ~4" of backspacing more than where the inside of the stock rim would be where the HMMWV wheels only need ~2" more. Reading that back doesn't make sense but I'm not sure how else to say it lol.

I assume you have no check engine light on. I had the same problem with my 91 Burb. Everyone said ignition module which I replaced but that was not the problem. Turns out it was the PICKUP COIL inside the distributor. If you have never heard of this don't feel bad. It is the part that the ignition module plugs into. Mine was crumbling apart. I think it cost me 12 dollars at advance auto. You have to remove the distributor and disassemble it to replace it. Took me 2 hours. Just make sure you follow the procedure for distributor removal properly.pickup coil.jpg

Scrib

Observer
That's a good call on the pickup coil - a competent shop can put a scope on it and see if the pulse is jumping around. Can also be rust and/or demagnetization of the shaft itself.

cop car

Observer
Ok well replaced cap and rotor.. All seems to be good.. Just randomly once it did it again.. Then immediately restarted. So idk if its fixed or not. I don't really want to pull the distributor again, but 12 bucks is pretty cheap

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the look of your `Burb´with those new wheels. Do you get any fender rub? Also glad to hear you got your ignition thing fixed. Cheers, Chilli...:)

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Ok well replaced cap and rotor.. All seems to be good.. Just randomly once it did it again.. Then immediately restarted. So idk if its fixed or not. I don't really want to pull the distributor again, but 12 bucks is pretty cheap

Cool glad to hear it's running better. if it does it again check the ICM and pickup as others have said, it's cheap insurance too. If the cap and rotor were bad there's a very good chance the ICM is too.

bowstryder

Observer
I can almost guarantee its the ICM. Had that happen to two of mine a few years ago. I was a parts chaser back then so EVERYTHING was replaced.... when I finally got to replacing the whole distributor months later did the problem fully go away....that's when the light bulb went off and I did some real testing. Hard lesson learned, and as said, it's a cheap part and easy to replace. you don't need to pull the dist. to do this though it certainly helps.

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Just a quick note on the campers available for the K5's. The chalet bolts in just like your factory hardtop. The 4wheel pop top only bolts in half way which i did not like. There are not bolts on the forward section to keep it snug against the seal which translates into extra road noise and the occasional leak.

DW

4bytruckin

i had a issue where the reluctor wheel in the distributor was cracked so as the engine gained rmps it would separate. truck would shut down. it wouldn't start till the magnetized bits got pulled back together . weirdest problem i ever came across. when they separate it caused the hall effect to be weaker and the pickup coil wouldn't read it

cop car

Observer
brake thing.jpg

ok, so what is this thing? it has hydraulic lines going to it, it was attached to my old rear end by this little scissor like lever. is it a brake bias thing that's why my brake pedal goes down really low right now even though I thoroughly bled it? if so what is my fix for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles