Best way to carry dog food?

JohnnyS

Explorer
We have two large dogs and have been carrying their food in .50 caliber ammo cans, cool for critters but not cool for efficient vehicle packing.

I'm thinking dry bags may work well; airtight(ish), easily crammed into free space, has a spot to hook a carabiner into to secure it, etc...

We've tried ziplocs in the past with poor results. Dog food all over...

Ideas?

Thoughts?

K2ZJ

Explorer
We do Ziplocks inside a large Tupperware tub that has our other food in it. We make each bag one meal with their meds in already so we just have dump the bag in the bowl.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Check out Gamma Lids for 5 gallon buckets. They make them for 2 gallon pails as well IIRC. Might be too bulky for your needs, but might work for someone else.

D

Deleted member 48574

In order to protect from smells attracting critters to camp (We camp a lot in Grizzly country) we use our Food Saver and vaccuum pack a day's ration for the dog (4 cups of food or so). So if we are gone for 5 days, we have 5 bags. Then the empty bags are disposed of in scent-proof bags of their own. We get a lot of use out of that food saver for ourselves too, and not just food -- emergency cell phone, matches, dry just-in-case socks, etc.

Regards
Craig

Ramjet

Explorer
In order to protect from smells attracting critters to camp (We camp a lot in Grizzly country) we use our Food Saver and vaccuum pack a day's ration for the dog (4 cups of food or so). So if we are gone for 5 days, we have 5 bags. Then the empty bags are disposed of in scent-proof bags of their own. We get a lot of use out of that food saver for ourselves too, and not just food -- emergency cell phone, matches, dry just-in-case socks, etc.

Regards
Craig

Brilliant. I'm all over this one.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I like it!!
The full bags in a dry bag, then in the trash when used...perfect!!
I've been wanting a food saver for years, now I have a perfect reason to get one.

STREGA

Explorer
We use a Mountain Smith K9 Cube which is large enough to hold all of his food, folding bowls, leashes, cold weather jacket and other doggy items. It's well made and keeps all his stuff in one place which makes it easy to find what you need quickly.

Gaidheal

Observer
We have a heavy nylon bag that has a plastic liner and a screw-down lid, from the pet section at the closing Zellers here.

No smell from the kibbles, reduces in size as it gets used. Not bad at all.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
We have a heavy nylon bag that has a plastic liner and a screw-down lid, from the pet section at the closing Zellers here.

No smell from the kibbles, reduces in size as it gets used. Not bad at all.

Do you know who makes it? Please :)

Gaidheal

Observer
It appears to be a Gamma Vittles Vault Airtight SoftStore. Ours is a 30 pound capacity but it looks like they might come in other sizes too. We like it a lot. We buy pricey, quality dry food that has a strong smell. This thing keeps the food fresh and the smell in. :) When we travel we just grab the bag and toss it in the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94