Habitat Owner's Thread

Healeyjet

Explorer
kb7our, two more questions if I may.

1) On you mattress restraint system, do the rivets go right through the top and stick out on the finished side of the top or is the top two layers thick?

2) What are the wires in your back window in the photo of the third brake light? I was under the impression that the Habitat didn't come with rear window defrost due to the harness not being available by itself or did you cannibalize your old hardtop?

Thanks
Ward

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Dan
The foam pad type system has two problems as I see it. There has to be a gap on the sides for the tent/poles to lay in. This leaves a big gap on each side and is a waste of sleeping space. You are limited to the thickness. I don't think 4" will even come close to fitting. The one AT put in there is about 2" thing, maybe 2-1/2". I much prefer the air mattress. I have a Big Agnes system that I love. The air mattress is very comfy and when deflated there is plenty of room for the tent and poles. And with the double wide Nemo it completely fills the "lid" from wall to wall, maximizing the sleep space.
The roof is two layers, so rivets/screws will not go through the outer shell. I have three of the nylon straps with the plastic buckles to hold my bedding down. They are screwed in about 5" or 6" from the edge to leave plenty of room for the poles on the side. It is really nice to leave the bedding in the top. Pop the tent and air up the bed.

Wade
Toroweap? Man I'm jealous. I am ready for a trip. Have to make some time.

Dirk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Hey Dirk,
I see that AT didnt remove the top. Did they unbolt the aluminum channel that the tent top slides into and place a seal underneath the aluminum? Hope you got everything squared away after the clean up, you have a great setup!

Kb7our,
Thanks again for the info and pictures. You have a great looking arrangement going on, I love the space in the habitat, shame it doesn't seem to make sense for me in the pacific northWET. I ordered the third brake light but they are out of stock and didnt return calls today. We'll see if I can get that back on track, my j30 should come in Thursday. I'm excited like a little school girl. I'll try to keep my replies in this thread related to comparable things they aren't specific to the j30.

jrueppel

Adventurer
I put Nemo Cosmo Insulated pads into mine as well.
When inflated they just barely fit into the tub under the poles.

DSC_7693.jpg

I went with the 2 person sleeve around them and sized for myself a couple of pieces of 1.5 inch memory foam for each side.
Nemo does a combined pad and sleeve but it comes in at 50 inches wide.
I wanted to keep the foam width under the 48 inches or so of width of front shell tub.
Just using the foamless sleeve plus a couple of individually sized pieces keeps it narrow enough I don't (fingers crossed) have to worry about the foam needing to compress under the tent poles when closing up.

DSC_7692.jpg

It's ended up being absolutely the most comfortable camping setup I've ever slept in.

kb7our

Explorer
kb7our, two more questions if I may.

1) On you mattress restraint system, do the rivets go right through the top and stick out on the finished side of the top or is the top two layers thick?

2) What are the wires in your back window in the photo of the third brake light? I was under the impression that the Habitat didn't come with rear window defrost due to the harness not being available by itself or did you cannibalize your old hardtop?

Thanks
Ward

Hey Ward,

DK covered your rivet question (does NOT poke through and PLENTY of strength in the single layer). Must be careful not to let drill slip through both layers to the outer shell :).

The window has the integrated defroster but the Jeep doesn't have the connectors or controller so it's not being used. Wires you may see include a loom for an LED light that is mounted on the very bottom of the window and another for the brake light.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Is there a sleeping pad that comes standard with the Habitat or is it something I need to purchase separately?
Ward

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Dirk,
I see that AT didnt remove the top. Did they unbolt the aluminum channel that the tent top slides into and place a seal underneath the aluminum? Hope you got everything squared away after the clean up, you have a great setup!

Kb7our,
Thanks again for the info and pictures. You have a great looking arrangement going on, I love the space in the habitat, shame it doesn't seem to make sense for me in the pacific northWET. I ordered the third brake light but they are out of stock and didnt return calls today. We'll see if I can get that back on track, my j30 should come in Thursday. I'm excited like a little school girl. I'll try to keep my replies in this thread related to comparable things they aren't specific to the j30.

Brian

We didn't remove the Habitat shell, for reasons mentioned previously. We removed the tent, the extrusion, the poles, the torsion bar, and the bulb seal. We trimmed the front of the lid, cut the poles to size, removed the texture, turned down the torsion bar, re-installed the torsion bar re-installed the tent. The shell is up to the standard we have for new shells.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Hey Dirk,

Yes, they took the tent completely off and then when they put it back on it now has the sealing strip under it. I am going to caulk the corners that have a gap. Don't know why they leave those open???? Rather large hole for wind, dirt and water to get in. Also along the front bottom section where they cannot put rivets in. Martyn glued a piece of "bulb seal" weather stripping to close that gap. But I need to caulk the small cracks on both ends of that to seal it up.
I thing the next batch of tents they make the skirt on the back half needs to be much longer, at least 2" longer. Mine just won't lay down. But it never rains here...

EDIT: Martyn Replied faster than I. What he said...

kb7our

Explorer
Yes, they took the tent completely off and then when they put it back on it now has the sealing strip under it. I am going to caulk the corners that have a gap. Don't know why they leave those open???? Rather large hole for wind, dirt and water to get in. Also along the front bottom section where they cannot put rivets in. Martyn glued a piece of "bulb seal" weather stripping to close that gap. But I need to caulk the small cracks on both ends of that to seal it up.
I thing the next batch of tents they make the skirt on the back half needs to be much longer, at least 2" longer. Mine just won't lay down. But it never rains here...

Good deal, DK! I think we have about 5 or so owners interested in the zip on awning getting done. Possibly the more interest the better. Do you happen to also be waiting for this thing to get done? I'd love to be able to pick one up at OX13.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

Glad it all got worked out! I picked up and installed my j30 this afternoon so I've been tooling around with it. It's been raining pretty steady all day so I may even driveway camp to see if any rain comes in. Unless the fabric just soaks up the water I don't see anywhere obvious where it's going to leak into this thing.

I'll be following here to keep an eye on the awesome drawer/kitchen setups you guys are installing. There are still so many things I want to do with the Jeep that I have a hard time prioritizing and saving trip money to get out and use it!

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Good deal, DK! I think we have about 5 or so owners interested in the zip on awning getting done. Possibly the more interest the better. Do you happen to also be waiting for this thing to get done? I'd love to be able to pick one up at OX13.

If the price is right, I want two. one for back and one for the side.

kb7our

Explorer
Looks like between 6-10 awnings would be sold if the price is right just within this small thread. I hope we get some good news soon considering how long it's been and with Habitats in the field being used. Since Nemo doesn't reply to threads, AT, are you still planning to sell these and is the crate on the way to hit OX13? I was ready to purchase the initial prototype shown in Armado nearly 2 years ago at OX11 and even the blue one that was shown at OX12. What's up?

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Looks like between 6-10 awnings would be sold if the price is right just within this small thread. I hope we get some good news soon considering how long it's been and with Habitats in the field being used. Since Nemo doesn't reply to threads, AT, are you still planning to sell these and is the crate on the way to hit OX13? I was ready to purchase the initial prototype shown in Armado nearly 2 years ago at OX11 and even the blue one that was shown at OX12. What's up?

Wade, as soon as we know something about this we will let everyone know. Nemo doesn't produce product in ones and twos, they have a detailed R&D program, that is followed by material selection, and finally production. When they are finally satisfied with the product they place it into production. From the initial production order to the time it gets into the market place is usually eight months.

What you witnessed was some of the R&D side, two prototype variations of a product over a twelve month period. Nemo has never given a specific time frame for when this product will come to market, and no amount of complaining or second guessing will have any effect on when it does. It will arrive at the market place as a mature well thought out product that works first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles