Habitat Owner's Thread

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
AT relocated mine to the front cowl during the install. The antenna is small and black so it blends right in with the Jeep. Service was a bit spotty before. But it"s been a whole lot better in the new location

Pictures? Mine cuts out now when I'm going north with my j30 installed.

jrueppel

Adventurer
I'll try and get a photo of it today. It's really so small I've forgotten it's there now. Except when I'm driving through the mountains listening to Satellite and remember how bad the reception used to be.

kb7our

Explorer
Pictures? Mine cuts out now when I'm going north with my j30 installed.

Here guys...I've had mine in this location for a few years now and am very happy with the reception. Please excuse "Tuweep" dirt ;).

I also have a little 10A battery charger mounted under that area.

Sat Antenna.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Here guys...I've had mine in this location for a few years now and am very happy with the reception. Please excuse "Tuweep" dirt ;).

I also have a little 10A battery charger mounted under that area.

View attachment 155891

Thanks. Was that the factory antenna relocated or an aftermarket antenna? I guess I'll email John and see if he will do anything. If I can just pick up an antenna and plug it in I'm fine with that, not sure if that is the case with the over complicated jeep electrical system.

kb7our

Explorer
Thanks. Was that the factory antenna relocated or an aftermarket antenna? I guess I'll email John and see if he will do anything. If I can just pick up an antenna and plug it in I'm fine with that, not sure if that is the case with the over complicated jeep electrical system.

That is the factory antenna relocated. If I recall correctly, the cable was long enough to reach through the driver's firewall and across underneath the cowling but it's shorter to route through the passenger firewall. I might have replaced the main cable section which you can purchase from the dealer as it disconnects near the antenna pigtail. Nothing complicated nor related to the electrical system that I am aware of....simply plugs into the radio. You need to drill the cowling, one hole (might be 1/2") for the main screw mount and another little one for a centering pin. Take your time.

kb7our

Explorer
Where did the factory install it? Don't know where to start.

DK

Mine was pinned to the roll bar on the passenger side above the speaker assembly. Not sure if you can reach it with the hardtop on. Worst case you could just get another one and leave the factory antenna in place.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Would one of the owners be able to post a photo of what the Habitat looks like on the inside above the front seats? My wife has asked me if I remember what it looked like there and for the life of me I cannot remember. So, Sitting in the front seats, what is the ceiling made up of?
Ward

kb7our

Explorer
Would one of the owners be able to post a photo of what the Habitat looks like on the inside above the front seats? My wife has asked me if I remember what it looked like there and for the life of me I cannot remember. So, Sitting in the front seats, what is the ceiling made up of?
Ward

Ward, not sure how well the carpet would show up in a pic. It's a black low pile felt like material (automotive carpet?) that looks nice. Not sure if this is still being used for current production units.

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Is there any map pockets or anything up there? Is it the same height as the freedom top panels or do we lose some headroom?
Ward

kb7our

Explorer
Is there any map pockets or anything up there? Is it the same height as the freedom top panels or do we lose some headroom?
Ward

Pockets are "options" and in doing just a visual comparison between my Habitat and a '13 JKU with hardtop, there looks to be a slight bit more room with the latter, although I didn't measure. Since I never had the factory hardtop I don't have a sense of the true space (height) difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz