Habitat Owner's Thread

kmarshall

This is my custom title
Removing and re-installing Nemo tent in the HabitatJK shell

I successfully removed the Nemo tent from the Habitat Clam, cleaned it, replaced rivets with nutserts on front and rear aluminum extrusions, and replaced the tent. The main advice I have to anyone doing this is:

1) Make sure your wife likes you and is comfortable on a ladder
2) Make sure the floor behind the JK is clean prior to trying any of this as the tent fabric picks up dirt easily
3) Pry open the rear ends of the extrusions a bit as the angle of the rubber going in and out of the extrusion is pretty dramatic. (This will make more sense once you get into it) When done, a nice rubber mallet will get them back into shape.
4) Replace the set screws holding the rubber in place in the extrusion after installing tent poles
5) Ensure that the tent poles are folded in the right position when replacing the tent. We found it easiest to just remove the longest pole/hoop and reinstall

My only issue was that a few of my nutserts started spinning... as a result of not being very good at installing them and the new serts not lining up exactly with the existing holes in the extrusion. So, I have a bit of work left to do there to clean up my slop.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Kmarshall, what was the point of taking everything apart and replacing parts? Upgrading? Issues with the factory set up...or?

Adventure Trailers, I wouldn't mind a quick video tour of this beautiful rig in your parking lot

u3y6uraj.jpg

As a matter of fact, I would love to see a video tour of anybody's rig with a Habitat!

kmarshall

This is my custom title
TenaciousTJ, to make a long story short, I sold our house (that had a nice and big garage for the Jeep and other toys) in Sierra's and moved into a rental while we build... so the JK was outside most of the winter and there were a few areas where I thought we had it all sealed up, but we didn't and some water got in, then it was raining for a while (since it apparently only rains in Tahoe now) and we couldn't dry it out, and a small amount of surface mold popped up. It was easier to remove it and do a comprehensive cleaning on it and seal everything up while it was out. It is all back together, sealed nicely, mold free and the family is back to our camping ways. No parts needed replacement and AT was super helpful in the process.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Where was it leaking? My j30 sits outside 100% of the time in the Pacific Northwest. All it does here is rain...? Not a drop inside or mold anywhere. It stays parked 16 days at a time in my driveway when I'm at work too.

Does the habitat hinge not have adjustment to snug down the front or something?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
TenaciousTJ, to make a long story short, I sold our house (that had a nice and big garage for the Jeep and other toys) in Sierra's and moved into a rental while we build... so the JK was outside most of the winter and there were a few areas where I thought we had it all sealed up, but we didn't and some water got in, then it was raining for a while (since it apparently only rains in Tahoe now) and we couldn't dry it out, and a small amount of surface mold popped up. It was easier to remove it and do a comprehensive cleaning on it and seal everything up while it was out. It is all back together, sealed nicely, mold free and the family is back to our camping ways. No parts needed replacement and AT was super helpful in the process.

Thanks for the reply! Were these issues that same as the first few were having, or is yours a newer one where the leaking issues were supposed to already be addressed and solved?

kmarshall

This is my custom title
Thanks for the reply! Were these issues that same as the first few were having, or is yours a newer one where the leaking issues were supposed to already be addressed and solved?

Mine was an early build and I expected to be part of the discovery process. However, my issues were partially brought on by myself in some ill-timed water intrusion testing... which was followed by a long rain storm, my jeep being parked outside and my traveling for work.

Plus, I have a Defender and a VW Thing, so managing water intrusion is a major part of my life. In fact, my Dad put a tinted bubble moonroof in our van when we were kids and that leaked too... I'm starting to see a pattern.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, kmarshall.

I'm just a few days away from a multi week, multi state adventure. The plan is to FINALLY order my Habitat toward the end of this summer, I'd like to take one last look at one in person just to seal the deal in my own simple mind. Is anybody interested in giving me a tour of theirs in either WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ far north closer to Utah or Nevada, or NV? It would be greatly appreciated and dinner will be on me, camping or otherwise. Please shoot me a private message if you'd like to help a brother out....

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Thanks for the reply, kmarshall.

I'm just a few days away from a multi week, multi state adventure. The plan is to FINALLY order my Habitat toward the end of this summer, I'd like to take one last look at one in person just to seal the deal in my own simple mind. Is anybody interested in giving me a tour of theirs in either WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ far north closer to Utah or Nevada, or NV? It would be greatly appreciated and dinner will be on me, camping or otherwise. Please shoot me a private message if you'd like to help a brother out....

Your inbox is full.

kb7our

Explorer
Nice to see more activity on this thread. As an early adopter of #12 which I sold to a forum member to help fund a new JKURX, I would be happy to answer any questions someone contemplating a purchase might have. Not sure what unit # is the latest but if I was contemplating a new one I would not hesitate to get one based on all the little revisions that have been done over the last couple of years. I would expect that many if not all the issues mentioned within the thread have been addressed. Would love to see some posts or a little video of their latest version and showing all the little enhancements done to the base and tent. Mine was one strong unit so be sure to prepare a good suspension (stock won't do) and expect the better part of a day's labor for install. AT probably has this all dialed in well by now.
In remembrance of #12...:)
Rim Road 1.jpg

Keyne

Adventurer
Is there room inside to configure the rear section for sitting inside with the top deployed? For instance, similar to a flip pac with top deployed could you sit on top of a fridge in the rear and use a laptop, sip coffee, change clothes etc? Not something to be used all day but at night, in the morning, in rain, etc. it would be nice to have an indoor space. Otherwise why not just go with a roof top tent?

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Yes

Is there room inside to configure the rear section for sitting inside with the top deployed? For instance, similar to a flip pac with top deployed could you sit on top of a fridge in the rear and use a laptop, sip coffee, change clothes etc? Not something to be used all day but at night, in the morning, in rain, etc. it would be nice to have an indoor space. Otherwise why not just go with a roof top tent?

I keep a small folding chair for evenings in the tent. I'm 6'0" and can sit in the center in the chair which I do every time I go out before bed. There are also the two removable panels in the back half. If those are out there is plenty of room to stand or sit, depending on what you have below. I have Adv Trlr's front and rear storage compartments, a nice flat surface. One could easily put a chair down there too. So two people could sit in chairs inside the vehicle.
My Jeep has been down a few weeks with a bad tranny. I did a HEMI transplant and put a used dodge truck tranny in a couple of years ago. I just got a new one in and took my first overnight trip out this last week in MONTHS. Man it was fun. I was thinking how amazing this rig is. A trial run a week ago we took a local trip up a small river in the mountains of the Gila Forest ( the Mimbres river.) Reminded me what an outstanding vehicle the Rubicon is. Then add the Habitat top, ARB fridge and AMAZING Partner stove etc, it is a nice rig. I can go anywhere any other rig can go and camp when I get there. Then drive 80 mph down the highway back home to watch Dallas beat Seattle...
Not bragging about my Jeep, because there are several every bit as capable or more than mine. But the Wrangler Unlimited in general is just nice.
Now if I could just get the time off to go to Costa Rico...

Keyne

Adventurer
I keep a small folding chair for evenings in the tent. I'm 6'0" and can sit in the center in the chair which I do every time I go out before bed. There are also the two removable panels in the back half. If those are out there is plenty of room to stand or sit, depending on what you have below. I have Adv Trlr's front and rear storage compartments, a nice flat surface. One could easily put a chair down there too. So two people could sit in chairs inside the vehicle.
My Jeep has been down a few weeks with a bad tranny. I did a HEMI transplant and put a used dodge truck tranny in a couple of years ago. I just got a new one in and took my first overnight trip out this last week in MONTHS. Man it was fun. I was thinking how amazing this rig is. A trial run a week ago we took a local trip up a small river in the mountains of the Gila Forest ( the Mimbres river.) Reminded me what an outstanding vehicle the Rubicon is. Then add the Habitat top, ARB fridge and AMAZING Partner stove etc, it is a nice rig. I can go anywhere any other rig can go and camp when I get there. Then drive 80 mph down the highway back home to watch Dallas beat Seattle...
Not bragging about my Jeep, because there are several every bit as capable or more than mine. But the Wrangler Unlimited in general is just nice.
Now if I could just get the time off to go to Costa Rico...

Sounds awesome, and I would live to see some photos of your interior setup. Can you post or PM me with some?

kb7our

Explorer

Here's a quick example of living space up top:
Helinos 2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles