Habitat Owner's Thread

kb7our

Explorer
Seam Sealing Advice

Guys, if you decide to seal the seams where the attic net loops are sewn to the Habitat tent roof, you may want to consider sealing these areas from the outside if you intend only to seal the inside. I initially applied sealer inside around the loops and then found that through capillary action the loops can still weep unless you stop water ingress from the source which would be the outside. May not even need to do anything inside. A nice hard and steady rain on a recent trip revealed this. To keep water from dripping off the loops which I had sealed around the seams from the inside, I temporarily poked some little pieces of micro fiber cloth I had on hand for cleaning glasses through the loops which absorbed enough weeping to keep drips completely at bay. Time to seal the exterior loop attachment areas.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Be careful using seam seal on the webbing. Seam seal will work well on the webbing material but the fabric uses waxes to waterproof it. If there are any solvents in the seal seal it may degrade the waterproof qualities of the fabric in that area. Try rubbing the area with bees wax first to see it that does the trick.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Lots of talk here about rain and small little leaks.

Has anyone thought about making a fly to cover the entire Habitat in cases of very heavy rain?

Over the weekend it thumped coastal Alaska rain on my little ground tent with a silicon-impregnated nylon fly and not a drop came in.
Maybe something similar could be made for the Habitat that just stuffs into a bag when not in use?

-Dan

kb7our

Explorer
Lots of talk here about rain and small little leaks.

Has anyone thought about making a fly to cover the entire Habitat in cases of very heavy rain?

Over the weekend it thumped coastal Alaska rain on my little ground tent with a silicon-impregnated nylon fly and not a drop came in.
Maybe something similar could be made for the Habitat that just stuffs into a bag when not in use?

-Dan

Certainly a valid suggestion. My understanding is the beauty of the design was to avoid such a need. Habitat 12 is nearly dialed in for wet weather - just get me the zip on awning supposedly being made and I am a pretty happy camper once some other minor issues are fixed. I could have used one or two awnings as dry rooms during some heavy rain at Mt Graham - would have been perfect zipped to the back and entry side. If the leak issues that have been identified thus far by early adopters can be corrected with newer units then it seems like things will be pretty well perfected and no fly necessary. If not, then the option of a separate fly seems reasonable although I do NOT like the thought of a mummy type cover like what I have seen on the FlipPacs and remain hopeful that it won't have to come to that for the Habitat. For the wettest of environments, resorting to a fly may be the only good solution which does have the benefit of being able to be removed with a dry tent left behind to be stored quickly and without worry of having to dry things out or bedding getting wet, etc. Probably some other thoughts out there.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We are working on the small leaks right now. We have a couple of simple solutions that are going to work well for everyone.

Still in the testing phase right now. I never knew there were so many options for weatherproofed foam tape. We have been using neoprene to seal the extrusion to the shell and it works well for this application. It is highly conformable and provides a watertight barrier. However neoprene does not do well at being compressed and then expanding to it's original profile.

We have found some tape, it is a Neoprene/EPDM/SBR Foam, with an adhesive backing that is conformable but also expands back to it's original profile quickly. We have started testing this product in the hinge area where the extrusion is not attached to the shell.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
As I'm seriously considering a Habitat in my future, I have an email out to Ursa Minor Vehicles and am currently waiting a response. I met with Jon at OVX '13 and discussed the awning brackets he had on his J30 shell. He also mentioned a gullwing/flip up style window option. I've been watching his website for any additional details on the awning brackets and/gullwing windows, but haven't seen anything. Any body have any more current info on these options? They were suppose to be available in late June, according to Jon.

kb7our

Explorer
As I'm seriously considering a Habitat in my future, I have an email out to Ursa Minor Vehicles and am currently waiting a response. I met with Jon at OVX '13 and discussed the awning brackets he had on his J30 shell. He also mentioned a gullwing/flip up style window option. I've been watching his website for any additional details on the awning brackets and/gullwing windows, but haven't seen anything. Any body have any more current info on these options? They were suppose to be available in late June, according to Jon.

Welcome and good luck with your quest for a possible Habitat! The product is evolving into a pretty cool camper as you are probably reading about. Lots of good info here and within the Portal to consider. One very important aspect of this type of niche product that has been my experience is to expect very long waits for goods that have been shown or spoken about to actually be produced. A good example is the zip on awning which was originally shown at OX11 (could have even been '10 but I forgot it has been so long) that has yet to be produced for owners. I wish you luck in your quest for an accurate response on your particular accessory question. Get used to and even expect long waits and you will be fine!

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
The good news is that John responded almost immediately to my email, and said to let him know when I place my order with AT, and he will be sure my shell gets the access doors and awning brackets. So it sounds like these options are available, just not listed on his website yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kb7our

Explorer
The good news is that John responded almost immediately to my email, and said to let him know when I place my order with AT, and he will be sure my shell gets the access doors and awning brackets. So it sounds like these options are available, just not listed on his website yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting. Wish my fixes were as fast as things appear on the front end. Would sure like to see some pics and prices. I'm getting tired of waiting for the zip on awning.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Hey Wade,
I got tired too. I just went to Tractor Supply and bought a lightweight 12' x 20' tarp. I had 8 expandable poles from my FOX WING awning, so I grabbed those and the ropes to tie them down. Now I just set that up, free standing and back the Jeep under one corner. The "Kitchen" is covered and plenty of room for sitting in the shade (or out of the rain.) The zip on awning is going to have to be awesome and very reasonably priced for me to buy one now. I like this system because I can leave it up to show I have a "Camp" while I'm out exploring or hunting, like I was this last weekend. I have a smaller 10 x 12 foot tarp too that I started with but it wasn't enough room for sitting, tables etc. I now keep both in the Jeep. I should have taken pictures, will next time because I came home empty handed and will be going back out. I have 3 weeks left in the hunt.
I have to say that my first few trips with the Habitat were less than thrilling. But now I have carpet down, my bed latching system perfected (and simple) and I have just gotten used to everything. I really enjoy it now, and the alternatives suck; ie sleeping in a tent on the ground, bigger vehicle with camper, trailer, to name a few. I can literally go anywhere it is legal for a vehicle to go and set up camp. For hunting that is the bomb. My philosophy of camping is that if I can see or hear anyone not in my group then it's too crowded.
Yea, the Habitat isn't perfect; but what is, that I can afford!
Martin/Mario - PLEASE send us the details on your fixes so we can update our units!

Dirk

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Has anyone here used the JK/Habitat set-up with 2 adults & 2 (young)kids? I'm trying to explore all my options, and am just wondering if this would even be worth thinking about.

will

Adventurer
We used our's with my pregnant wife and our 8 yr old. Looking forward to next summer when our newborn is 1 yr old. We'll be four then, which was the plan when purchasing the habitat.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I think the habitat would work great for two adults and two kids. My wife and I are very comfortable in our J30, and the habitat has twice the floor space and a probably triple the airspace with a higher ceiling.
Although you will have to carry additional padding of some sort. Honestly the hardest part would be fitting the sleeping/camping gear for four people into the jeep, but I've done it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke