Habitat Owner's Thread

kb7our

Explorer
Has anyone here used the JK/Habitat set-up with 2 adults & 2 (young)kids? I'm trying to explore all my options, and am just wondering if this would even be worth thinking about.

I highly suggest checking one out in person to confirm your needs fit the profile, before spending $10k on the Habitat vs. another option of which companies like AT have several. The overall arrangement gets more complicated in my opinion when dealing with >2 adults, which might be ok with you as others have noted it works for them. I love it for 2 adults with room for gear and such. Very comfortable this way.
-
Labor Day weekend R&R in the cool pines of AZ at ~7,500' in fog and rain but moderate temps - my perfect kind of camping day!
Rim Road 1.jpg Labor Day 2013 1.JPG

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
Hey Wade,
I got tired too. I just went to Tractor Supply and bought a lightweight 12' x 20' tarp. I had 8 expandable poles from my FOX WING awning, so I grabbed those and the ropes to tie them down. Now I just set that up, free standing and back the Jeep under one corner. The "Kitchen" is covered and plenty of room for sitting in the shade (or out of the rain.) The zip on awning is going to have to be awesome and very reasonably priced for me to buy one now. I like this system because I can leave it up to show I have a "Camp" while I'm out exploring or hunting, like I was this last weekend. I have a smaller 10 x 12 foot tarp too that I started with but it wasn't enough room for sitting, tables etc. I now keep both in the Jeep. I should have taken pictures, will next time because I came home empty handed and will be going back out. I have 3 weeks left in the hunt.
I have to say that my first few trips with the Habitat were less than thrilling. But now I have carpet down, my bed latching system perfected (and simple) and I have just gotten used to everything. I really enjoy it now, and the alternatives suck; ie sleeping in a tent on the ground, bigger vehicle with camper, trailer, to name a few. I can literally go anywhere it is legal for a vehicle to go and set up camp. For hunting that is the bomb. My philosophy of camping is that if I can see or hear anyone not in my group then it's too crowded.
Yea, the Habitat isn't perfect; but what is, that I can afford!
Martin/Mario - PLEASE send us the details on your fixes so we can update our units!

Dirk

Awning setup sounds pretty sweet, DK! I've got the temp awning I posted up a while back which works fine for now off the back end. Not the same of course as any zip on would be but that's for another day - maybe. Glad to hear you are also enjoying your Habitat as I am even with the few remaining issues, one of which requires both UMV and AT's assistance to resolve at the shop. Getting closer to 100% dialed in!

kb7our

Explorer
Hey Ward....that's a very slick looking blackout setup you have there with the Habitat a few pages back! I envy your fridge - that is a nice one.

Healeyjet

Explorer
The fridge/freezer has been excellent so far. The freezer part is just big enough to put in frozen food for a weeks travel. The overall size is a little larger as we mentioned and does cause some interference but if I'm hungry enough it doesn't seem to slow me down at all!

As for the blacked out Jeep. You know it just sort of happened that way. I bought a used 2007 Rubicon in 2011 because it was the spec I wanted and was a good deal and it just happened to be black. The wheels are AEV and I love the black. By the time the Habitat purchase rolled around I thought what the heck and went with the theme. I must say id does look a little SWATish though. That being said, anytime I come to a four way stop I always get the way through to go first.

We have one more trip planned for the season which will take us down to the Black Hills of South Dakota. So far this summer we have made 6,500 miles with the Habitat attached. Another 1500 miles to come next weekend. Other than a few small glitches we have been thrilled with how it works. We expected growing pains with function and use but so far it hasn't been bad at all. For a couple that hadn't camped in a lot of years it has got us out of town and into the wilds again and we are thrilled. After this trip fall will be upon us here so we will shut it down for the winter. That is unless we get the urge to drive to UT or NV in the winter to get away from the cold for a while. Then there is always Overland Expo in May so that will probably get the season started for us next year.

Ward

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses.
Honestly the hardest part would be fitting the sleeping/camping gear for four people into the jeep, but I've done it before.

That was probably my bigger concern. I've never tried to pack stuff into only the rear of a JKU, but once you have a cooler/fridge, other kitchen stuf, some recovery gear, etc, there would seem to be enough room for one medium duffel bag for everyones personals.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Who has the AT Stage 1 and Stage 2 cargo system, and uses it as a back up sleeping platform for inclimate weather, or lazy, late night camp setup? I also posted this in the Jeep section, but I figure more of you who have the Habitat, have the entire AT build out. I have the Stage 1, but think if I add the Stage 2, I can cover it with the NEMO mattress and have a pretty cozy place to sleep at night and I should be able to slide my feet under the AT cargo rack. I'm 5'11" when it comes to sleeping, but when I meet women, I'm 6'2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kb7our

Explorer
Who has the AT Stage 1 and Stage 2 cargo system, and uses it as a back up sleeping platform for inclimate weather, or lazy, late night camp setup? I also posted this in the Jeep section, but I figure more of you who have the Habitat, have the entire AT build out. I have the Stage 1, but think if I add the Stage 2, I can cover it with the NEMO mattress and have a pretty cozy place to sleep at night and I should be able to slide my feet under the AT cargo rack. I'm 5'11" when it comes to sleeping, but when I meet women, I'm 6'2".

The Stage 1+2 combo works pretty well for sleeping (I use a Nemo Cosmo Insulated and also have the cargo tray) if you move the passenger seat forward and have a quick add on extension to fill the gap to take advantage of the full space available. Stage 2 is still described to have a "flip up extension to allow for in cab sleeping ( 10" x 22" W)", although I have never seen such an extension and mine did not come with that. I waited a while to have one made but got tired of waiting :( so made a quick little platform with a screw on leg that can be added to "complete" the sleeping platform pretty easily. I'd still like to have the AT flip up extension if it is ever actually produced and works with the water heater which is mounted behind the seat.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
After extensively testing the Habitat shell to find out the source for water intrusion into the shell we have identified the problem area as the Trim Lok edge seal on the lid. Water is dripping down the side of the lid and working it's way into the shell by flowing in between the push on portion of the seal and the edge of the lid.

The solution to the problem is to open the lid, remove the seal, place a small bead of silicon in the groove of the Trim Lok and put the seal back on the lid.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Martyn,
Are you talking about the lid leaking when it is closed or open? A picture would be worth ... 378 words, maybe even the full 1000.
Thanks,
Dirk

kb7our

Explorer
After extensively testing the Habitat shell to find out the source for water intrusion into the shell we have identified the problem area as the Trim Lok edge seal on the lid. Water is dripping down the side of the lid and working it's way into the shell by flowing in between the push on portion of the seal and the edge of the lid.

The solution to the problem is to open the lid, remove the seal, place a small bead of silicon in the groove of the Trim Lok and put the seal back on the lid.

Thanks, Martyn! I think I get it. Basically, open the Habitat, pull the black trim seal around the edge, silicon the channel, replace the seal.
-
For the fabric leak at the attic hoops, using wax all along the center seam on the outside did not solve the problem of the center loops wicking water to the inside. Would you recommend the next step to be seam seal the entire center seam from the outside or ? Note I have already seam sealed the inside where the hoops are attached but am still getting wicking "through" the hoops which eventually drips. It appears any extended rain will do this.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
The Stage 1+2 combo works pretty well for sleeping (I use a Nemo Cosmo Insulated and also have the cargo tray) if you move the passenger seat forward and have a quick add on extension to fill the gap to take advantage of the full space available. Stage 2 is still described to have a "flip up extension to allow for in cab sleeping ( 10" x 22" W)", although I have never seen such an extension and mine did not come with that. I waited a while to have one made but got tired of waiting :( so made a quick little platform with a screw on leg that can be added to "complete" the sleeping platform pretty easily. I'd still like to have the AT flip up extension if it is ever actually produced and works with the water heater which is mounted behind the seat.

Martyn, do you have this extension available that fills the gap between the Stage 2 cargo box, and and fully locked forward front passenger seat? I saw on the E7 Land Cruisers, there are hinged platforms that extend out over the folded rear passenger seats to create a platform. I'm looking for the entire length measurement from the back of the Stage 1 drawer (tailgate side), to the front of the Stage 2...or Stage 2 with sleeping extension platform. Trying to figure out if I would fit, sleeping on a NEMO pad on top of the drawers.

a7yvyjam.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
The good news is that John responded almost immediately to my email, and said to let him know when I place my order with AT, and he will be sure my shell gets the access doors and awning brackets. So it sounds like these options are available, just not listed on his website yet.

Any update on your unit with "access doors" and "awning brackets"?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
No, other than I talked with Mario for a bit over the phone. He gave me some measurements, and sent me the price list for a full JK build, with damn near everything they offer for the JK, including AEV bumpers, lift, etc.

I do currently have a well built 2010 JK, but I'm interested in a new one and either transferring over my current AT parts, or just starting fresh and selling my Jeep with what's already installed.

We have had some really nasty, intense storms here in the PNW the last few weeks and it makes me nervous to be camping in such extreme weather with the water intrusion issues I've heard of with the Habitat. This is why I was curious about the sleep setup on the cargo drawers. Looks like with the stage 1 and stage 2 drawers, it'll still be 12" too short for me to sleep on when I don't want to deploy the Habitat.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Bump for more pics and anymore information and/or experiences you'd like to share. Winter is fast approaching....how do you plan on staying warm and dry in a deployed Habitat? Anybody mount an awning yet? I saw this on a J30...

u5ura2e3.jpg

9ytemu9e.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
"Bump for more pics and anymore information and/or experiences you'd like to share. Winter is fast approaching....how do you plan on staying warm and dry in a deployed Habitat? Anybody mount an awning yet? I saw this on a J30..."

Staying warm with a 12V heated pad and a down comforter. The Propex HS2000 fills in the gaps. Not a big fan of the awnings added to an otherwise clean installation look of the Habitat or J30 pictured above. Really disappointed that the zip on awning has not been provided yet so I suppose something like a Fiamma or similar is an alternative. Staying dry is now possible with the seams sealed up - the top seams where the attic net tabs attach are were I had the biggest problems with weeping. Still digging the Habitat though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz