M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Very nice! It is coming along fast.

Well yes and no as far as the speed of it. It is fast but we are about 6 weeks into it, nights and weekends. The weekends I am able to go and help out on the work. It is a little deceiving with my posts because when I started posting we were well into it and I started posting from the beginning. I try to post a little each day of the progress for the pictures we have. I'll let you know when I'm caught up with the progress. I'm going tomorrow to my brother's house for the weekend to work on the lid for it. I'll keep you posted.
I do have one thought for everyone out there on the lid and would appreciate any comments on it. We are trying to decide on which way the lid should open: from the back or from the side. I'm thinking side but would entertain any input on it either way. I'm not planning on a RTT if that makes any difference.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I really like the Jeep tailgate. How high did you have to raise to line up and did you just weld a piece of steel below to fill the space?

I have my lid hinges on the side and like it. It is hard to reach across to get something on the other side but I cope. The standard rule is hinges on driver side so if you pull to side of road you are on shoulder when you open and not in the road.

Someone else has a thread going on an M416 and the issue being discussed was stress to the side when lid is open and how that will affect warp of tub due to his tailgate. Not sure what the final answer is.

Great pictures and nice work. Wish I could weld!

sroth

Fabricator
We went up 2 1/4 inches. But the key is to remove the factory rolled top of the tailgate and weld a 1 inch round steel tube on the top of the tailgate. Once this is completed then clamp the tailgate in place (correct height and left/right orientation). Then just measure and plate it up.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
The paint we initially bought was not the right color but we didn't find that out until after it was sprayed.
T52.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here she is painted the color we wanted. What do you think?
My niece is happy because the project is close to being complete and she sleeps above the garage so she has to hear it all the time.
T53.jpg
A shot from the back.
T54.jpg

sroth

Fabricator
Both Auto Zone or Advanced Auto carry this paint (Dupli-Color Paint Shop Finish System). The color is Burnt Orange Metallic, the correct color we went with is Hugger Orange.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
My brother ordered the handles for the back to lock the tailgate closed.
T55.jpg
So the handles are installed and he had to figure out the mechanics behind it. My brother made a cardboard mock up of the mechanism at work and his co workers thought he was crazy.
T57A.jpg
And the actual mechanism installed. Inside and out.
T57.jpg
T58.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz