M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Build #2 start page 19
Build #3 start page 24
Build #4 start page 28

I picked this trailer up in Jan about a 1/2 hour north west of Atlanta. It cost me $650. We used a trailer to bring it to my brother's house. We have already completed about a months worth of work on so I will try to make daily posts until I'm caught up.

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
We used a trailer to pick it up and it was a good thing. After we got it to my brother's house we pulled off the wheels and regreased the bearings. It was a good thing the left wheel took approx. 3 hours to get off. It did not appear that it had been pulled off since it was made.T6.jpgT7.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
It did not appear to have been greased in a long time. After greasing up the hubs I towed it home to Charlotte another 2 1/2 hours. No issues with it. here it is towing and at my house.
T8.jpgT9.jpgT10.jpgT11.jpgT12.jpg

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
As you can see there was a rocket scientist who welded to rear plate on the back of the trailer. It has hinges but it was welded closed. The welds were very poor. The previous owner bought the trailer from an auction. There was a data plate on it from a fire rescue squad that use to own it. After doing a little research I believe that the trailer belonged to the forestry service, then was purchased by a rescue squad and later sold at an auction.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So now the task was to get it registered. There was no title, no vin numbers and no data plate on the trailer. I went to the DMV inspectors to ask them what I would need to get it registered in NC. They gave me some paperwork and I was on my way. First I needed to go to the DMV and get a form with a vin number that they assigned me for the trailer. Next I had to go and get two estimates of the value of the trailer. I went to a dealership and they said they only do estimates for cars. So I went to a used car small place and he said no problem. We went to the back and the owner asked how much do I want it to be worth. This was important for the taxes on the vehicle. Anyway he wrote it up for me and didn't charge me anything. I went to a second place that sells trailers and he said he would do it for me and asked for the other estimate to base his off of. Next I had to engrave the vin that was assigned to me into the tongue and the axel. I got a punch set from Harbor Freight and attempted to punch the vin into the trailer. Well it bearly scratched the paint. So I went to a place and they said that they would engrave the vin for $90 in the axel and tongue. I knew I was going to change out the axel so I thought about it. My solution was the dermal I was able to do it with the dermal with no problem and a whole lot cheaper. Next I had to get an indemnity bond for 1 and 1/2 times the estimated value of the trailed. So that's where having a low estimate helped out on the trailer. Ok so I went to the DMV, got two estimates, engraved the vin and got an indemnity bond. Next it was back to the DMV inspector to get the vehicle inspected. I went there and they said that they only do inspections on trailers from 8 to 10 and I was there at 11. So I went back the next morning (not too much to it), they checked the vin and the lights. Then it was off to the DMV registration to get a tag. I had read several posts on other sites explaining it so that helped me out. If you do not ask they will issue a year long plate but if you pay a little more and ask you can get a permanite plate. Other wise they will give you a 1 year plate.

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So now I'm into it for approx. $1000 with the cost of the trailer, bond, tags and some other items that I bought for it. I started thinking about it and what would have to be done. I didn't have the skills needed to do the project. I spoke with my brother and he said he would work on it for me. So I backed it up and drove back down to GA. I was not planning on doing much with it but when I got to his house he already had a plan worked out. We took the whole thing apart. In order to take the bed off we had to cut the hinges off, since they were welded directly to the frame. So here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• T13.jpg
    T13.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 4,488
  • T15.jpg
    T15.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,466
  • T16.jpg
    T16.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 175

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
As you can see we stripped the frame down and cut a place for the tail lights and a hitch receiver in the back of the frame. This was a test fit of the lights.
T18.jpgT19.jpg

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here's a look at the front of the frame with the new receiver. I want to be able to put 12 foot kayaks on the trailer so I needed to have some space between the trailer and my jeep.
T17.jpg

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
My brother sent me this picture of his new welder and thanked me for the forced purchase.
IMG950111.jpg

Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So I ordered an axel from Southwest Wheel Company so that I could run the 5x5 bolt pattern. Here's a look with the axel.T21.jpg
The steel that is going across the tongue came from the old tongue jack, it was cut apart and the steel used.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94