2005 and new Xterra owers

Ovis Canis

Observer
I'm looking at the Xterra, 2005-2007 models, as a foundation for building an overlander. I was hoping you could share what kind of mpg you're getting loaded and unloaded and if you're running a tuner. Thanks for the help.

Ovis Canis

Observer
Really? I've spent a week on here scouring through Xterra builds, problems, trips, stories, trying to gather some type of realistic baseline on what to expect if I buy one of these only to come away with a pittance of what I was looking for and not one person out of a hundred has an X and could give some insight?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Wow,read some more. Doubt anyone will help if you just complain.
Really? I've spent a week on here scouring through Xterra builds, problems, trips, stories, trying to gather some type of realistic baseline on what to expect if I buy one of these only to come away with a pittance of what I was looking for and not one person out of a hundred has an X and could give some insight?

monark192

Observer
Ovis,

I have a stock 07 with the exception of All Terrains to replace the stck rugged trail (still stock size tho) and am getting only about 17 mpg on average. I have no ref for a loaded number but do know that towing my 2900lb travel trailer, I get about 10 mpg.

Try www.thenewx.com for more info.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Ovis Canis,

I have had my Xterra for about 110000 miles at this point, so I can tell you about what to expect.

First, be aware that the 2008+ models do not take to tuning as well as the 05-07 models. I am assuming that is why you are asking for information about the 05-07 models. I don't know if the mileage is any different on the newer trucks, but the tuning ability is.

When I first got my Xterra at 36000, with 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, I was averaging about 19mpg hwy and about 16mpg city.

I added a suspension lift and larger tires around 100000 miles, my gas mileage decreased to about 18mpg hwy and about 14 mpg city.

I added a full set of skid plates, sliders, and a rear bumper (about 6000 lbs total vehicle weight) and it decreased another mpg in each setting.

I replaced the sparkplugs and added a CXJ intake manifold spacer (Different from a throttle body spacer) and my gas mileage went back to 19mpg hwy and 16 mpg city.

I most recently added 33.5" Nitto Trail Grappler tires. My gas mileage now is about 17mpg hwy and about 13mpg city.

I know that there are quite a few members on this site that own Xterras, but the majority of the Xterra forum members that you will find will be on thenewx.org. That is where I find most of my information at. Just be aware that you have to have thick skin to be on that forum, as the moderation level has decreased since the site was bought out by Autoguide. I love the forum, but I have never had an issue with internet sensitivity. It's is crazy informative, and it probably has just about everything you are looking for as far as modding the truck goes. Gook luck in your search!

Ovis Canis

Observer
It's fun to see how people read things. Some don't judge and just respond. Others only hear complaining because that is what they do. This site is funominal. For the most part the people are open and friendly and willing to talk. I was only surprised that no one had responded. But again, it's always fun to see how people read into a typed text. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

Ovis Canis

Observer
Ovis Canis,

I have had my Xterra for about 110000 miles at this point, so I can tell you about what to expect.

First, be aware that the 2008+ models do not take to tuning as well as the 05-07 models. I am assuming that is why you are asking for information about the 05-07 models. I don't know if the mileage is any different on the newer trucks, but the tuning ability is.

When I first got my Xterra at 36000, with 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, I was averaging about 19mpg hwy and about 16mpg city.

I added a suspension lift and larger tires around 100000 miles, my gas mileage decreased to about 18mpg hwy and about 14 mpg city.

I added a full set of skid plates, sliders, and a rear bumper (about 6000 lbs total vehicle weight) and it decreased another mpg in each setting.

I replaced the sparkplugs and added a CXJ intake manifold spacer (Different from a throttle body spacer) and my gas mileage went back to 19mpg hwy and 16 mpg city.

I most recently added 33.5" Nitto Trail Grappler tires. My gas mileage now is about 17mpg hwy and about 13mpg city.

I know that there are quite a few members on this site that own Xterras, but the majority of the Xterra forum members that you will find will be on thenewx.org. That is where I find most of my information at. Just be aware that you have to have thick skin to be on that forum, as the moderation level has decreased since the site was bought out by Autoguide. I love the forum, but I have never had an issue with internet sensitivity. It's is crazy informative, and it probably has just about everything you are looking for as far as modding the truck goes. Gook luck in your search!

Just found a link to that site yesterday. Looking forward to checking it out. I was really torn between the chevy Trailblazer and the Xterra 05-07. James Downing has an amazing amount on info out there about real life info about the TB, and not just corporate sponsored reviews. Thanks for the info. I test drove the Xterra tonight and with this info I think I'll be going with the X. For the most part it'll be a daily driver, but I want it to be able to get out there to. Can't wait to be sharing some mod ideas I've been working on. Thanks again to everyone for the info.

Cedarslope

Ovis,
I have a 2008 Xterra Off Road version. Had 4x4s for the last 35 years I would have to say, it is the best of the lot when it comes to all around versatility, drivability and a phenomal ability to just put the power where it is needed when off road. It really works off road Bullet proof reliability, excellent power and a lot of fun to drive. the off road has the electronic locking rear diff and the torque sensing front diff, along with the hill descent control, all items I would really want in an expedition vehicle. Good at towing too. Gas mileages is as others have reported- fair Running general grabber at2 tires...very versatile. The one item that is a must is beefing up the rear suspension. Too soft even with the x empty

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I had a 2010 Xterra OR for a while and got 18-20 highway out of it. My 2007 Frontier gets 20-22 highway depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. I loved my Xterra, but at the time needed a pickup and traded it for a F150. Fast forward a few years and I no longer need a full size, so I snagged a low mile Frontier.

You'll love the Xterra - these rigs (whether Frontier or Xterra) are very well-built, have tons of power, and are truly fun to drive (despite being heavy 4x4s).

05nissanXterra

Observer
My 05xterra is somewhat set up for lengthy off-road camping trips, call it what you want. Lol, I'm fully armored:F/R bumpers winch, sliders, skids, extra armor, plus a over built roof rack. I'm on 305/70-16 Goodyear duratrac's, 3.5" suspension lift and a 1.5" body lift. With all that plus about 500 pounds of gear: coolers/ food/ water, clothes, extra fuel, and all camp gear, plus recovery gear we get about 12mpg average. But I can say the damn thing will go almost anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

steve c

Adventurer
Ovis,

I got my 2012 X at the beginning of February. I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my gas consumption. All though I don't always remember to print a receipt, it is fairly complete. Granted, my X is completely stock except for a Thule T2 bike rack here's what I have so far.

screenshot20130405at104.png

Hope this helps

And gratuitous shots of said X

img2420ij.jpg

img2405e.jpg

Ovis Canis

Observer
Ovis,

I got my 2012 X at the beginning of February. I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my gas consumption. All though I don't always remember to print a receipt, it is fairly complete. Granted, my X is completely stock except for a Thule T2 bike rack here's what I have so far.

screenshot20130405at104.png

Hope this helps

Ouch we haven't hit $4 gal in a while here in TX. Thanks all for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles