Bike rack on back of trailer

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
My family and I will be crossing the entire US this summer and will be pulling our adventure trailer.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69584-Tough-Terrain-Trailers

Now it is time to attempt to add bikes to the mix. I have a 1 1/4 inch reciever on the trailer now and put a cheap hitch bike rack on for a trial run. Unfortunatley the trailer really started "walking" all over the place beacuse the rack would wobble back and forth. It got really bad around 65mph.

So, who has a bike rack they run behind their adventure trailer?

Is mine wobbling back and forth because i have a cheapo rack and would work better with a nice thule t2?

Could it be the coupler in the hitch?

Do not want to buy a newer bike rack and find out the trailer just will not track with something behind it.

Thoughts?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Butch

Last edited:

JPNCA

Adventurer
Maybe drill and and tap a hole from underneath. Then you can run a bolt up to hold it still

I have a Tule bike rack which does pretty good at holding still. Although I've never had it on the back of my trailer

jkce72

Observer
I use a bike rack on the back of my trailer with 3 bikes on it, and it tracks fine. It does wobble in the hitch,but I think I have enough weight in the trailer that it doesn't effect the way it tracks. Although if you plan on taking it offroad make sure the bike rack can handle it. I was travelling up a pretty rough forest road and realized when I got to the summit I only had 2 bikes left. Only took a few miles of back tracking to find it laying in the middle of the road with part of the rack still sttached.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Doubtful the bike rack is causing the wobble. Tongue weight or lack there of.

Before you buy a new rack, try moving heavy stuff in the trailer forward. Also you can lower the front of the trailer. Trailers will normally pull best with the tongue 2 inches lower than the rear.

Speed and tongue weight are always a concern. But I think you can cure your problem with either of the two ideas. Also check the air pressure in your tires. Bump them up a little if they are low. Also remember the angle of departure on a trailer is different than the truck/car. Be sure they are high enough not to hit when crossing a ditch.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Butch1979

Family Adventurer

Before you buy a new rack, try moving heavy stuff in the trailer forward. Also you can lower the front of the trailer. Trailers will normally pull best with the tongue 2 inches lower than the rear.

Speed and tongue weight are always a concern. But I think you can cure your problem with either of the two ideas. Also check the air pressure in your tires. Bump them up a little if they are low. Also remember the angle of departure on a trailer is different than the truck/car. Be sure they are high enough not to hit when crossing a ditch.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Good places to start! Thanks.

Agreed:

When we mounted two heavier fatbikes on the back of my trailer it would wobble around until I filled the trailer's water tank (in front of the axle). The extra weight of the water gave me enough tongue weight to prevent the wobble.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have one of these from northern tool....http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_492929_492929

I took mine to a fab shop and had it beefed up on the side with additional steel because I was towing more than 4000 lbs. It is now bullet proof. I use a Yakima hitch rack for the bikes and it works good and has plenty of clearance with the trailer when the bikes are mounted. Hope this helps.

Kind of like this but, uh different..:ylsmoke:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...hbbacw3rcQbhdiV-aCUPNnojZgk605s7sMUS24_kxsdiw

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
When using my Thule rack on the rear of my 1350 pound M101A2 with 4 beach bikes, It would wag the dog very easy.
More weight in the front of the trailer and I cut the rack in half and lowered the center of gravity.
Now it pulls fine and no wag " bikes are still at a safe departure height."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles