Mounting a swing back trailer jack

ih8philly

Adventurer
I want to replace my swing back trailer jack. There doesn't seem to be any that are made to fit the 2x2 tubing of my trailer tongue. Most seem to be designed to fit a large range of tongue sizes and because of this they have a bunch of extra metal on one side like so:
PnJHWvd.jpg

I ran across another trailer similar to mine that had a very nice looking mount like this:
FZidwCbl.jpg

Does anyone know what that mount is called or where I would get one? Or is it just something you would custom fab?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If you have a jack already, Cut a plate to weld to the tongue.
Drill matching bolt holes and bolt the jack on with short bolts and lock nuts.

I was never a fan of the clamp on tongue jacks. I like the revolving jacks that use a weld on tube and pin set up.

ih8philly

Adventurer
If you have a jack already, Cut a plate to weld to the tongue.
Drill matching bolt holes and bolt the jack on with short bolts and lock nuts.

I was never a fan of the clamp on tongue jacks. I like the revolving jacks that use a weld on tube and pin set up.

Thanks, but why is welding a mount on better than bolting it on? Welding seems like a lot more work for someone like myself that doesn't own a welder.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
To each his own,
Just looks better to me.
The bolt on mount is huge compaired to a weld on ring.

You can always find a welder if you go the weld on route.

Attachments

• DSC04997.JPG
    DSC04997.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC05022.JPG
    DSC05022.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 40

ih8philly

Adventurer
Just to close this thread out in case someone finds it in the future. I was never able to find anything to my liking. So I ended up getting something custom fabricated. Came out great and much nicer than the mount that comes with the jack. Just needs a little paint now.

aKYzvSyl.jpg

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I agree with Mark. I like that style better too. It's cleaner and strong.

Philly, that is a nice mount for that style jack, very good work.

Just to close this thread out in case someone finds it in the future. I was never able to find anything to my liking. So I ended up getting something custom fabricated. Came out great and much nicer than the mount that comes with the jack. Just needs a little paint now.

aKYzvSyl.jpg

That's very clean looking. I like it.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I think you made a wise choice. The jacks that are stationary are not a good fit for off roading. That point is the lowest point of the trailer and will drag bending the jack straight back, making is useless. Nice fab work on the bolt on.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Arlo

Adventurer
I prefere the weld on bracket to the frame.
No corrosion between the parts is possible. The connection is stronger.

14059401wy.jpg

14059402qk.jpg

14059403dk.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I think you made a wise choice. The jacks that are stationary are not a good fit for off roading. That point is the lowest point of the trailer and will drag bending the jack straight back, making is useless. Nice fab work on the bolt on.

Bob

The weld on ring style folds back flush with the tongue, Or pull the pin and remove it.

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Don't think I have ever seen one on an off road trailer, but I seldom pay much attention to them to be honest. I was thinking it was electric welded to the Aframe.

I use the welded ring on mine. I have 5 attachment points on the new trailer. I have removed it from the equation if the owner desires to. They are for stabilization and tire changing.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

ih8philly

Adventurer

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Thanks Bob, I wish I could take credit but it was created by the guys over at Jeeperformance Inc.

I prefere the weld on bracket to the frame.
No corrosion between the parts is possible. The connection is stronger.

I would be afraid of the force that it would take to remove this mount. Welded or not, this mount would certainly out live the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz