Trip report: Newnes State Forest

zeroland

Adventurer
Escaping Sydney over the long weekend often leads to major traffic jams especially if attempting to head along the coast... hence our decision to head inland in search of bush and remote campsites. This was a family trip hence the need to balance the need for the 'boys' to enjoy some good driving and exploring whilst the 'family' had enough time to relax and enjoy the quiet campsites and family time.

Our intended route...
Newnes+-+map2.jpg

My Google Nexus 7, running the Memory Map GPS application, is the perfect size for the interior of my Land Rover Discovery 300Tdi.
IMG_6487.JPG

The terrain we covered were mostly fire tracks and unsealed roads...
IMG_6488.JPG

The NSW bush offers plenty of routes to explore...
IMG_6490.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

The Discovery is fitted with BFG AT tires and these once again, proved the toughness when compared to the two punctures we had on a Pajero and Prado. Both vehicles had known brand tires but were rated 80% Sealed / 20% Unsealed roads and proved to be very soft on the tracks we chose.

IMG_6498.JPG

Tire repair kits vary in pricing throughout Australia but are clearly made in China as all the kits look identical even though the branding (stickers on the box) is different.

IMG_6525.JPG

Overall, the route to Newnes was enjoyable and an easy escape from Sydney. Well worth exploring are the Black Fellow hand stencil art and the Glow Worm tunnels.

Ausjeeper

Observer
It's definitely a great place to visit around Newnes. We had a weekend trip down there in February and had a great drive around the place, certainly some different landscape.

Hope you don't mind me tacking some photos of our trip on your report.

Our campsite for the weekend.

NewnesRock-Feb4Small_zps9fa94e21.jpg

Most of this area was destroyed by wild bushfires in October 2013.

NewnesRock-Feb36Small_zps36fabd41.jpg

NewnesRock-Feb59Small_zpseec26d26.jpg

Yep that's the trail going through there.

Sony11-2_zps0c8a01d7.jpg

Some of the aboriginal rock art.

NewnesRock-Feb99Small_zpse89bd480.jpg

One of lookouts.

NewnesRock-Feb109_zpsf308b2811Small_zpsc0b58082.jpg

There's tracks to suit all .

lightroom-c_zps2565ee10.jpg

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Interesting areas and photos. Extremely steep trail and strange sideways trees in the 4th photo under the map. Posts like these are a window on the world I will never get to. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles