Teardrop-ish trailer leaf spring selection conundrum...

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Teardrop guys, what size should I use?! I'm "planning" on my trailer to weigh somewhere in the viscinity of 1500 - 2000lbs. I'm going to be running a 3500lb. axle but am not sure whether I should try for a lighter pair of 1250lbs (each) leaf springs or the pair of 1750lb. (each) springs that would normally go with a 3500lb. axle.

I want a softer ride for the bumpies but I'm concerned I might be going too light to properly suspend the trailer if I get the lighter springs.

What say you?

toymaster

Explorer
I'm not sure what I can add to what you already know. softer = better ride and more sag under load & stiffer = harsher ride and less sagging. If you keep the trailer under 2,000 then you are good to go with the smaller weight rating. You may want to think about adding bump stops to your design if you go very light with the springs. One thing I may suggest is to buy a size spring that comes in both weight ratings. This way if you change your mind on what you need it is only a bolt-in replacement versus more time/welding. After a quick search these two have the same length.

http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-parts/trailer-suspension/trailer-springs/double-eye-mts-135.aspx
http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-parts/trailer-suspension/trailer-springs/double-eye-mts-216.aspx

silvrzuki77

explorer
Shorter the spring the harsher the ride also. Im using suzuki samurai springs but need to get a set of 3" lifted ones for my teardrop. (My build is the hummer uav td build). I wish i would of used torsion axle or airbags now though.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The worst thing you can do is over spring it. It will tear the trailer apart. I would go with what ever is closest to the overall weight. Normally the trailer will weigh more than you think. Always remember the amount of water, propane and what ever the wife/girlfriend decides that she needs.

Being over sprung by a couple hundred pounds is livable, but a thousand will not be good.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm not sure what I can add to what you already know. softer = better ride and more sag under load & stiffer = harsher ride and less sagging. If you keep the trailer under 2,000 then you are good to go with the smaller weight rating. You may want to think about adding bump stops to your design if you go very light with the springs. One thing I may suggest is to buy a size spring that comes in both weight ratings. This way if you change your mind on what you need it is only a bolt-in replacement versus more time/welding. After a quick search these two have the same length.

http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-parts/trailer-suspension/trailer-springs/double-eye-mts-135.aspx
http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-parts/trailer-suspension/trailer-springs/double-eye-mts-216.aspx

Toymaster, After your advice I see that the two sets of springs are equal length and fit to the same brackets so I will be able to go up to the larger springs if the lighter ones don't work. Bump stops would definitely be a good idea!

The worst thing you can do is over spring it. It will tear the trailer apart. I would go with what ever is closest to the overall weight. Normally the trailer will weigh more than you think. Always remember the amount of water, propane and what ever the wife/girlfriend decides that she needs.

Being over sprung by a couple hundred pounds is livable, but a thousand will not be good.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

Bob, as always, good advice! People will start to think you build these for a living or something!:ylsmoke: I will definitely start with the lighter springs, then weigh the trailer "combat loaded" so see what my actual weight is after construction... And then change springs out if needed!

I saw that on the springs I want to buy (from www.trailerpart.com) that the 1250lb. springs are 2 leaf and the 1750lb. springs are 4 leaf. I wonder if I can either modify the 4 leafs or order 3 leaf springs. That would give me an option in the middle if I needed it. Does anyone have a take on that possibility?

Thanks again for the great input folks!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I perefer to use Jeep parts. They are available every where and are reasonably priced. Rear CJ-7; front or rear 87-95 Wrangler; and front grand wagoneer, all work well. They ride smooth, hold a good amount of weight, and flex offroad nice. I also use rear CJ-7 spring mounting kits to attach them. All the parts are available new from 4wd.com

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Well I only build them for fun and to stay busy. Have no plans of being a major manufacturer. One offs, for those that really want the safety of steel framed trailers. Way too much work and money to do it full time. Building 3 a year is all I want to do. Semi retired, the wife says I am, but I say I build trailers. She says they keep me out of the house, which is a good thing. Not sure what she means by that!!!.'

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

051 692 0958

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior