Trail tool

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Has anybody seen one in person? I carry a Gerber folding saw and a WW2 hand pick out on the single track trails but this thing looks like it would do a nice job on the trail or for those over landing wanting to shed some weight.

SOFME

Observer
I probably posted this in the wrong section. It's designed for mt bikers who do trail work. The price is high now because this guy is fabbing (beautifully i might add) them up in his garage. Not a Walmart seller.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I probably posted this in the wrong section. It's designed for mt bikers who do trail work. The price is high now because this guy is fabbing (beautifully i might add) them up in his garage. Not a Walmart seller.
It's in the right place it's just that most folks don't have a clue as to how or why trails are made or maintained. Most drive right around a fallen rock or tree and the thought of making a new trail without a dozer is out of the question. That's all fine but for those of us that hump tools on a bike or backpack to build and maintain trails this tool looks great. Out of the thousands of bikers, hikers and jeepers I have met ill give credit to Harold Sutton, Richard Robillio, my self, the dude in Arizona that gets the grants and build off road areas like the boulders in AZ and the few off road clubs that have real work days. The rest just don't do it yet a lot complain about the sucky trails in their area. I've spent probably 45 days of spare time and have miles of one of Arizonans best kept secret. The states finest single track that I ride too straight out of the garage. If every off roader spent an hour a month fixing up a small section of trail then think how nice it would be. Just trim or clear a little spot and see how rewarded you feel ever time you pass that section.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I remove unpassable obstacles like large diameter trees, giant rocks may get rolled or winched over if it has actually fallen there naturally (if it has been put there on purpose to keep vehicles out leave it alone). I might smooth out a washout or put rocks in it to get it to passable. Part of offroad trails are the obstacles, getting rid of all of them is called a road, DO NOT make roads they are boring and there is enough already. If you are in anyway in doubt about moving something ask the BLM, or State agency in charge, or land owner what they allow. When on hiking/riding trails if I need more than the camp axe I carry then I might pack a chainsaw in on a horse if it is really bad. Rocks and the like are usually left alone and nothing is removed from the forest without a permit.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It's in the right place it's just that most folks don't have a clue as to how or why trails are made or maintained.
I'm not sure how that's a relevant comment given the replies so far. Just because people find it over priced for 4WD dependent travel doesn't mean they don't know how trails are maintained and/or that they drive around obstacles making new trails.
Post #8 does put it in context however.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The McCloud was my favorite tool when I worked for the Forest Service. I always thought about a way to make it portable. Bravo!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles