Dodge Grand Caravan

moreforLes

I'm planning on doing a minivan based RV, using a Grand Caravan/Town and Country as the base.
I looked at a modification called a GTRV, it was price prohibitive at $7000 for the modification (popup roof, like that on the sportsmobile). So decided to do it myself, either buy an aftermarket raised roof (12 - 16") or do a custome foam and fiberglass one myself.

moreforLes

I've stripped a couple RVs and conversion vans for parts, and basically need the van and the high top to get started.
I think I'ls like to start with a modified 2000 or newer Grand Caravan, with the 10" lowered floor for wheelchair access.
By adding a 12 to 16" high top, I should have adequate headroom.
Adjustable airbag suspension so I can have a little more ground clerance when needed and either te 3.3 or 3.8 engine.
Newer than 2005 might have 4 wheel disc brakes.
Swivel front bucket seats, bed will be on the drivers side, from front seat to rear hatch, small counter along passeng side w/ small sink and across rear, storage and microwave.

Kaisen

Explorer
Newer than 2005 would have been a Stow-n-Go, so while they were modified for mobility, I'd stick with a 2001-2004 with the 3.8L

Is there a reason you prefer the T&C/GC over a full-size van?

moreforLes

Sorry for the late reply, but about he time you posted, we were in th middle of a move from NE Ohio to central NC.
Mostly interested in Minivan because I have a couple, and for space parts as well as for blending in when doing residentia camping.
Also, slightly better mileage, short or goibg with a Sprinter based model, it would be the best per gallon option, and while the Sprinter option would get as good or better mileage AND have more room, but dont run on gasoline, the diesel fuel is higher priced and I dont know anything about diesel engines, not that know a lot about gasoline engines, but I'm at least a little more familiar with it

moreforLes

Would like the 3.8, or at least the 3.3, but the stow and go doesnt work, because the floor would be that much higher...

moreforLes

Sorry for the late reply, but about he time you posted, we were in th middle of a move from NE Ohio to central NC.
Mostly interested in Minivan because I have a couple, and for space parts as well as for blending in when doing residentia camping.
Also, slightly better mileage, short or goibg with a Sprinter based model, it would be the best per gallon option, and while the Sprinter option would get as good or better mileage AND have more room, but dont run on gasoline, the diesel fuel is higher priced and I dont know anything about diesel engines, not that know a lot about gasoline engines, but I'm at least a little more familiar with it

zelatore

Explorer
Although they are harder to find, you might look at the commercial version of the GC. I believe it was sold as the 'Tradesman' or currently the 'Ram C/V' (cargo van). No rear seats to worry about, just a flat load floor and they were available w/o rear windows which would give you more freedom to plan your layout. Also slightly heavier suspension I believe. I don't know how far back they made them, as I've only briefly looked at them and only looked at 2011+ models for the 3.6.

85burbanator

year old thread rehash but the heavy duty front brakes from the 2013+ vans bolt onto the 2008+ models with 17"wheels. just installed in mine and the improvement is great..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94