2001 Chevy Tracker ZR2 Exploration Vehicle

transalper

Explorer
I just picked up a very clean 2001 Chevy Tracker ZR2 (aka Suzuki Grand Vitara). I'm deep into the planning mode to create an efficient, maneuverable, capable back-country vehicle. I do not want to add too much weight or go big with the tires as it is my DD (and I'm many miles from Moab). I also want to do this as cost-effectively as possible.

Previous rigs include a '89 Montero (bumpers, suspension, storage, rear locker), '95 Geo Tracker 2-door (OME suspension, armor), '97 4Runner (bumpers, OME suspension, storage, dual lockers, winch), and '97 XJ (bumpers, OME suspension, and gave up because I just didn't groove on the Jeep). I also had another unmodified '99 2-door Chevy Tracker to compliment the 4runner for a little while.

I kinda think of this 4-door tracker as my 4Runner built for two. :)

Plans include:

Manual Hubs
Receiver Hitch (for Kamparoo Cub)
OME Suspension
Winch Bumper/Mount and Winch
Auxillary Driving Lights
More Aggressive Tires (may stick with the stock 28s or go with 29s)
Sliders
Rear Storage Shelf
Compressor
Roof Top Tent eventually . . . . .

Any other recs for this vehicle? This site is an awesome resource and a terrible inspiration to spend money. :)

Before Pic

Tracker_Before.jpg

Progress pics will come later in the year.

Last edited:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like good plans. I love my Suzuki. Mine is a '95, however.

I currently have 29s, but would like to upgrade to 31s at some point. I also just got a rear locker for it, but haven't installed it. These are pretty light rigs, too. I'm told a locker makes a big difference in these trucklets.

-Andy

duckhunter71

Adventurer
There's a ZR2 Tracker just like that locally for sale with 29k miles on it. I would LOVE one of those little rigs. Small, nimble, efficient.. sounds like good times. I'm anxious to see what you do with it!

xcabo

I just picked up a very clean 2001 Chevy Tracker ZR2 (aka Suzuki Grand Vitara). I'm deep into the planning mode to create an efficient, maneuverable, capable back-country vehicle. I do not want to add too much weight or go big with the tires as it is my DD (and I'm many miles from Moab).

Any other recs for this vehicle? This site is an awesome resource and a terrible inspiration to spend money. :)

Good luck with your project!

Those are great and capable 4x4s

My recs:
One easy and cheap mod is AirLift 1000 to your rear
I would recommend you 235/75 AT tires, just a little bigger than stock
2" Suspension Lift

I have a '02 Softtop which is my DD too.

Cheers

transalper

Explorer
I've never used airbags before. How do they effect rear articulation? Would they bind up in the coils if I twist up the suspension a lot?

I ordered the hubs and receiver today. :)

And if anybody has recs for the which specific ome springs to use, I'm all ears.

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Nice find!

For tires I would go with General Grabber AT2 in a stock 215/75R15 to maintain towing ability and maximize year-round traction.

Jason

Travco

Where do you order your parts? Can you order as a Vitara? Most sites list a ton of things for up to 1998, but not after that. Thanks!

transalper

Explorer
Where do you order your parts? Can you order as a Vitara? Most sites list a ton of things for up to 1998, but not after that. Thanks!

The Chevy Tracker is a rebadged Suzuki grand Vitara.

The last two OME kits I picked up from rocky road outfitters.

Low range Offroad has a lot of Vitara stuff.

I ordered my receiver and hubs on amazon.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
wow, I just did a local Tracker Craigslist search.... they must be reliable, all of them had 170,xxx to 250,000 miles, and they wanted $2-4k. Congrats on a cool truck to just explore in!

transalper

Explorer
what does the ZR2 give you that wasn't available in other versions?

Straight from the 2001 tracker brochure:

quve9uha.jpg

Last edited:

transalper

Explorer
What are my winch mount options for this rig?

So far all I've really been able to locate are:

ARB bull bar
Calmini winch mount
Calmini winch bumper

I Would prefer a simple winch mount, not a bumper replacement. I do not want the wt or expense of a big steel bumper on the front. This will not be a rock crawling rig. :)

Thanks!

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Currently, no one makes just a winch mount; you'll need a bumper unless you fab something up. You could probably mount a front receiver and use a winch cradle, like our Multi-Mount.

- Andy

transalper

Explorer
Hmmm. I think I'll pick up a tray and try to fab up something behind the stock bumper. Gotta get that bumper off to see how much space is in there.

This would be ideal:

9u5ahedy.jpg

If that becomes too much of a project, then I'll likely go with the multi-mount.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier