My Audi allroad

G0to60

Observer
If you are reading this thread then you probably have come in expecting some pie in the sky, high hopes for the ultimate expedition rig. And then continue to watch as my rig overly disappoints. :)

Well, I think I have realistic ambitions for my allroad and I'll try to outline that here. It is a 2002 Audi allroad with a 2.7L six cylinder turbo engine with an automatic transmission (oh no!!!! The humanity!) It has 175,000 miles on it right now and I've owned it for about a year and a half. My plan is to make this into a light expedition vehicle. Nothing crazy that I'll take out into the jungles of Central America or the Yukon but something my wife and I can take up into the mountains here in the PNW for some extended camping adventures. So far I have only been concentrating on maintenance and repair. This year I plan to get a few upgraded goodies. Here's a list of what I've done thus far and how much it cost me (!):

Replaced fuel pump - $800 (shop)
Replaced PS front axle - $200 (me)
Replaced all front control arms - $900 (me)
Replaced ignition control module & spark plugs - $225 (me)
Rebuilt air suspension compressor - $75 (me)
Changed ATF fluid and rear diff fluid - $100 (me)

Later this year I will be doing a full timing belt/water pump service and replacing the valve cover gaskets since they are leaking. Once that's all done it's time to start on the fun stuff. I'm just going to get the basics really:

Surco roof basket
Aux. Lighting
Engine skid plate (Evolution Imports)
Trans skid plate (Evolution Imports)
Rear diff skid plate (OEM)
Tow receiver
Upgraded tires and maybe wheels (Geolanders AT or BF Goodrich AT)

Here is a couple of pictures of my allroad:

A few weeks after I got it I went for a little shake down run up near Mt. Hood.
DSC_0294.jpg

and some minor rock "crawling" on the same drive.
DSC_0290.jpg

This was after a snow shoe trip up Mt. Hood this last winter. Five people, five full packs, three pairs of snow shoes, and two pairs of cross country skis. Took it like a champ.
IMG_20130113_165331.jpg

Some inspiration for me has been that Volvo XC concept that was done several years ago and here's a photoshop that makes it an Audi.
allroadmonster.jpg

and one a little over the top but some good ideas.
100_0029_3.jpg

Also, there is "jesusgatos" who is building an extreme allroad that I will be following for ideas as well. I've been following his Duece build as well so the skills are there.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2843227

khronus79

Adventurer
Thanks for posting that thread, great read.

I love allroads, can't wait to see what you end up doing to yours.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Really great, love the allroad. Look forward to seeing more.
I'm working on my Subaru Impreza wagon 5spd along the same lines, wagons do it well.

Lajning

Observer
I'm am too a great fan of these builds, much like JRally's awesome Celica-build. Trucks and SUV's aside, expedition cars are so much cooler!

G0to60

Observer
Thanks for the welcome. It's always a crap shoot when you join a new forum and see how the first post will go. I like cars that are a little off the beaten path and not the norm. When I was looking for a more mountain friendly car than my past daily driver (1990 VW Corrado) I went to the usual Subaru Outback and (to spice it up) Subaru Baja. The down side is that Oregon and the PNW is where nearly everyone has one of these and for good reason. Yes, they are tried and true and all of that but where is the fun in doing what everyone else does?

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Awesome, gotta live up to the All Road name! Ive been building my WRX wagon since I got it new in 06 just to be different and prove how capable a light awd car can do.

PICT0593.jpg

PICT0584.jpg

Press on!

G0to60

Observer
Nice! I think I saw your rig in another thread too while searching for some stuff. Long live the battlewagon!

d67u57

Adventurer
nice.

are you missing out on some clearance?

and how much does the motor complain with regular fuel?

G0to60

Observer
I get around 22 mpg highway without anything on the roof rack. It drops a couple mpg with the roof box and ski rack. City I get 17-18 mpg so it's no eco car that's for sure.

Not sure if the post above that was directed at me but I'll answer it anyway. At level 4 of the air suspension it will have 8.25" of clearance so not too bad for a wagon. I think most stock SUV have 7-8". I hope to gain a little with some taller tires.

The engine can use regular but it will be down on power a bit and mileage will suffer slightly. As long as I don't flog it then it really doesn't matter as it won't be in high boost. Premium is preferred of course.

d67u57

Adventurer
great. what people don't realize is that these get crossover clearance,or better vs some awd units.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I love seeing car based expedition rigs. You and I think alike, I too enjoy building up my Suzuki SX4 AWD since there are so little of them out there and especially being used for what I use mine for.

Fitting a snorkel will be interesting, I know that engine bay is really tight.

SOFME

Observer
Love it! I'm an Audi/VW guy by trade and I have some pointers for you. (My résumé with relation to what I suggest comes from a b5 S4, stage 3 with meth and fueling)

Find a reputable German master tech to give it a once over.

2.7t motor is delicate. If your timeing belt hasn't been done TWICE get it done ASAP. Should be done every 70k -ish miles. While you're in there get the water pump, thermostat, tensioner rod pully, and cam seals at the same time. Order a kit from ecs or Blauparts, do it your self, and I will send you a cam lock bar if you pay for shipping. Doing that job will give you an idea of all the tools you will need for road side repairs and a strong understand of the motor.

Second have the aux water pump relocated to the firewall! The plastic hardens and becomes brittle from too much engine heat.

Email VAST and see if they can do an economy tune for you. I recommend replacing the turbos with new factory ones at the same time as well.

I can't stress this enough, STAY ON TOP OF MAINTENANCE.

And STOP USEING REGULAR UNLEADED. 91 is the minimum 93 is preferred rating for the car. You are causing minut damage every time you fill her with 89 or 87.

I am subscribed and look forward to this little beast!

Last edited:

G0to60

Observer
Thanks for all the pointers but I'm well on my way with nearly all of that and I do my own work. Timing belt and VC gaskets are next on my maintenance list and will get to those in the next couple of months. We can't really get out camping too far because the snow level is still down around 2-3,000 feet. Grrrrr. Ready for summer.

Also, VAST is out of business from what I've read. The turbos will stay until I begin to hear the whine of failure.

I don't use 87 octane ever but if that's the only fuel available then it's not detrimental to use until I find some 91+ octane. I also plan to carry fuel cans for longer explorations but we probably won't ever leave the states with the allroad (maybe Canada).

Again, thanks for all the tips. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior