nranger05

Beans and Sauerkraut

Start cooking the Beans and Sauerkraut dish at your next campout:

48 oz. white beans
24 oz. sauerkraut, rinsed
3 cups brown sugar
6 Tbls. ketchup
2 sticks smoked sausage sliced diagonally

Mix all ingredients except sausage into pot.
Heat to boil and then lower heat to simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
One hour before serving, add sausage.

Recipe can be divided and can also be adapted to a crock pot.
For crock pot, cook on low for 8 hours. Add sausage 1 hour before serving.

Enjoy

LifeRemotely

Observer
Thank you for the support at the Expo!

I just wanted to take a minute and thank all the overland chefs who bought the cookbook Forks in the Road from us at this years Overland Expo. We sold all the print copies we took with us and made some great friends along the way.

Written by overlanders for overlanders!

Last edited:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Love this idea! Even just having a thread dedicated to recipes that we can print out and compile on our own would be handy.

mudbutt

Explorer
The Hot Tub...

Hot Tub
What you need:

1 large aluminum foil baking pan
2 to 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced
JOHNSONVILLE® Brats

Preparation

Put the pan right on the grill, being careful not to singe your knuckle hair. Pour in the beer, and add the butter and onions.
Grill your Johnsonville Brats to a juicy, golden-brown perfection.
Serve immediately to your hungry guests and place any remaining brats into the steaming hot tub.
When folks are ready for seconds or thirds--or when stragglers show up late - grab a Johnsonville Brat out of the hot tub and enjoy!

bratHotTub.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
2014-08-29_%2819-26-09%29.jpg

did this last week was quite good and kids liked it
kinda modified quick recipe I think was on a soup can or something ? I do this at home in the oven figured why not try it camping :)

super simple

chicken as much as you like ;)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pack chicken gravy (use the 1 cup water it calls for also)
1 pack pop up biscuits

in the dutch oven put in a touch of oil fry up our chicken cut into small pieces salt pepper to taste
once browned a bit throw in the can of soup and gravy with water bring back to boil so it thickens up then put pop dough on top and cook like you would for the biscuits

now I usually use buttermilk and also usually break into a bunch of pieces ? this time kids wanted big pieces

its kinda like a cheap quick chicken dumplings
this was down with our camp chef dutch oven lid thing on propane no coals

note I do sometimes brown the biscuits on one side really quick cause my wife hates it when they are not brown on the side against the sauce and chicken ? I like it that way stays a touch gooey :) to do that throw them in first quickly browning then take out
when you break them up into pieces I never brown the bottom parts only when they are large size like this

Lets continue to do this. I've worked in graphic design and do not have a problem combining the receipies/pics into a free PDF book for everyone. maybe lets get a total of 50 recipies and then someone can PM and remind me in november and I'll throw it all together for us?

Sounds like a great idea to me!!

Be sure to include....
Real Name (at least your first name)
Username
Recipe
(Maybe a suggested drink to have with it?)
picture of finished product
one random fact or cool thing about you.

Lets make this happen.
furthermore, if people want to email this to me- i can save it in a separate folder and start compiling the list!
adamklick19@gmail.com

I look forward to this everyone!! :wings:

-Adam

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill Pearlman a.k.a. Hilldweller:

Vegan Thanksgiving in the Dutch Oven

Ingredients:
one 24 oz or two 15 oz cans prepared yams, water retained (I use Bruce's)
one 13.0 oz package prepared gravy (I use Pacific Organic Mushroom)
one 14 oz package stuffing (I use Pepperidge Farm Cornbread)
two 14.75 oz cans of creamed style corn, no salt added (store brand or good old Del Monte)
two cans whole-berry cranberry sauce (store brand is okay but Ocean Spray says you care)
one 2-lb fake turkey (Either Field Roast http://fieldroast.com/product/celebration-roast/ or Tofurkey http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproducts/holiday_products.html )

Serve with cheap red wine, beer, umbrella drink, fine single malt Scotch, or RC Cola. Doesn't really matter....

Start by slicing/chopping the roast into bite-sized pieces.
Warm up your Dutch on 25 coals and spray the interior well with Pam.
Throw in your chunks and brown a bit. Take the Dutch off the coals.

Add the package of stuffing over the "turkey"
Pour the yam water over the stuffing and then dump in the yams --- cut them up a bit.
Distribute the creamed corn over that.
Then the gravy.
Then spoon the cranberry sauce over that.

Put the lid on and add 18 coals to the top, 7 on the bottom, and let it cook for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on outside temps.
Yum. Tastes great; Haggis just gave it first prize at the AAV AR 2014 Dutch cook-off. No cholesterol. Low fat.

Here's a look at it
McKaskeyCreek030_zps8272d13f.jpg

Here's Rory digging into it
AAVAR14076_zpsaab4c691.jpg

Wainiha

Explorer
Vegan but you drink scotch? Might as well put in some bacon. Hehe. Also that is a lot of sodium in those cans.

I drink but there's no sodium in whiskey...shhh

Joanne

Adventurer
I'm super busy right now but will circle around in a week or two an provide a couple of recipes. Do they all need to be original recipes or can they be published (with attribution of course) and I'll provide the extra narrative on doing them outdoors? I'm specifically thinking of NoKnead Bread in a Dutch Oven.

I'm camping this weekend (and that means outdoor cooking of course) so I'll take some more food photos.

Joanne

Honu

lost on the mainland
Joanne I don't think it matters IMHO anyway since I kinda started this hahahaha :)
my idea was whatever people liked really and was more since we have so many that use them here thought it would be cool and try to do ones we can do camping easy enough
so whatever ya want :) better tasting less prep is what I am always after but thats me :)

if we could get this going still think it would be fun even if a simple PDF download etc... :)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Vegan but you drink scotch? Might as well put in some bacon. Hehe. Also that is a lot of sodium in those cans.

I drink but there's no sodium in whiskey...shhh
Lower sodium than traditional Thanksgiving...
And Scotch has no fat and no cholesterol. I haven't consumed anything with cholesterol or animal fats/proteins in 2.66 years. Lipitor no longer needed.

Many forum members already know my health story and how I became vegan. Three years ago the medical community agreed that I only had a short time to live; they gave me the number to hospice and told me to take it easy: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77643-2012-Losers-Club-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94