COSTMAN13's 2001 Tacoma

Costman13

Adventurer
I have a highway speed vibration somewhere between 55-70 MPH. I know I have read about vibrations POST OME install on the 05+ trucks, but haven't been able to muster much up on the 01-04s. Have any of you guys experienced a vibration after the OME install? My CV angle is steep, this I know. Does the 3/4" front diff spacer bring the angle down enough to reduce wear and possible vibrations?

The vibration is somewhat subtle and only at highway speeds. Im stepping out now to snap some pictures with a real camera. I'll include rear driveline / third angle, center support bearing / bushing (on the driveshaft) and the front CV angles (as well as full truck shots including the 285s). Other than this vibration, everything feels really great. Its a little stiff up front, but not bouncy by any means. I cannot wait for the APEX bumper. :safari-rig:

jeverich

Luddite
Vibes on our trucks can be pretty finicky...

Could be anything from the change in driveshaft angle to axle wrap. Some play with shims on the rear axle to alleviate vibes, honestly - mine aren't enough of an annoyance to bother with chasing them.

Man, your truck is so clean - mine came from Rhode Island..

Don't know if you're on there already, but check out tacomaworld.com

Pretty good reference.

Louisd75

Adventurer

Hmm... that looks like Fairhaven. And I'm pretty sure I know where the awesome shop you've got access to is. I've always wondered what they kept in that building :) We'll have to meet up some time after I'm off the boat in May. Hopefully you've got the vibrations sorted out by then, but if not I can lend a hand for any troubleshooting. Does the vibration go away if you ease off the gas or shift into neutral?

skrillah

Adventurer
Sexy truck man! Your vibration is likely coming from the carrier bearing (center driveshaft support). I've seen guys shim that with stacks of washers, or some guys even fabricate a small spacer to bolt in between there. Do a search on it. You won't need much, maybe 1/4" to 1/2".

Costman13

Adventurer
Sexy truck man! Your vibration is likely coming from the carrier bearing (center driveshaft support). I've seen guys shim that with stacks of washers, or some guys even fabricate a small spacer to bolt in between there. Do a search on it. You won't need much, maybe 1/4" to 1/2".

I thought of this as well. Thanks for the reminder on shim size. I will likely start here. I also need to drop the diff down, I know some think the spacers don't do much, but anything will help my CV's out at this point.

Costman13

Adventurer
Hey Louis, the vibration stays put between 55-70 MPH. It is not a very intense vibration, in fact, one might not notice it unless it was pointed out to them. However, it drives me nuts!

Costman13

Adventurer
Not sure if I know Adam..

Just got off the phone with All-Pro, apparently their APEX jig wasn't working correctly so there has been a delay. They tell me it should ship tomorrow, then again it was supposed to ship by the end of last week as well...

With the bumper on its way (hopefully), I would like to start looking into winch options. I don't see myself using a winch often, if at all (not because I'll never get stuck, but because I will not be getting in too deep with the truck.... yet.), but with the recent lack of exploring buddies, I would hate to get stuck while out by myself. I have always carried a Come-Along with me, yet anyone who has had to self recover a stuck pick up with a come-along knows there's a better way. My thoughts are with a relatively less expensive Smittybuilt XRC 8 Comp Series winch. At roughly $450, I can justify sticking this in the bumper and rarely using it. If anything, it's a nice piece of mind.

Any thoughts on the Smittybuilt winch?

kybray44

I had one that I got a helluva deal on. Only used it a few times as I rarely wheel alone. One problem I had with mine was flat spots in the winch remote. It would not reel in, or get stuck reeling in. I saw a xrc 8 comp crush a modular front bumper in on itself because the winch remote got stuck when the user was reeling the line in. They are affordable but after seeing that, and rarely ever using it, I sold mine and wouldn't buy another one.

Costman13

Adventurer
Good to know, although I have never heard of anything like that happening before. Still kicking the ideas around.

Well, hopefully I will have my bumper sometime next week, as well as my sliders and diff drop kit. I got out to some local fire roads, and cruised around, nothing impressive but still fun to get out. I have a strange clunk coming from the passenger side when coming over the crest of a bump or drop. I'm headed to the shop now to throw some washers under the center support bearing, and hopefully stop the highway speed vibrations, we'll see.

I'll try and throw some fire road pictures up soon. Cheers.

jeverich

Luddite
Might, just might have some time to do a little exploring this weekend! I'm down on the Oregon Coast today and tomorrow, then I'll be heading North Saturday afternoon. Think I'm going to try and take my Dad out on some of the FS Roads around Mt. Baker.. The one right by the North Fork Brewery can be some fun!

I'm willing to bet that the clunk is your sway bar contacting your front coils. Mine was really, really bad and annoying - especially whenever I went over a bump or washboard road. Take it off! You get a lot more suspension articulation, and no more clunk. I was a little apprehensive initially, but with stiffer suspension than stock up front you should be fine.

I'd hold off on shimming your carrier bearing - they are designed to self-align themselves. If you've got any doubt they are about $175 from the dealer, and about a 2 hr job to replace. Might as well replace your U-Joints while you're in there as well. They're $18/each for OEM Spicer's.

As far as winches, look at the Badlands from Harbor Freight. Yes, I know - Harbor Freight... I did ALOT of research before jumping on mine. Picked up a 12k winch, and spliced up my own Amsteel winchrope/gusseted thimble for $425 with everything!

Waiting for those pictures..!

Jake

Costman13

Adventurer
Hey Jake. Im around Sunday, as of now anyway. I have never checked that road out, sounds like fun.

As for the clunk, the swaybar end links seem pretty far from the coils to be hitting. Not too sure that's where the clunk is coming from. I had a similar clunk prior to the OME Suspension, but it has since amplified post OME.

I spaced out the carrier bearing yesterday. Im pretty sure the vibes are still there. Ill know for sure later this evening when Im on my way into work. I have few miles to play with on the highway and will really be able to see.

Im very skeptical about a Harbor Freight winch. Maybe Ill just wait to see how yours performs... :D I also don't know how big the spot in the APEX bumper is. Allpro states that they will fit all 8000 lbs remote solenoid winches. So I would assume it could also fit some 10000 lbs+ winches? We'll just have to see.

I would also like to look over your wiring under hood. The spare fuse block is appealing to be lately, especially with all this light / winch chatter. I am completely wiring / electrical illiterate and will need to reach out for help. My lights came with the Hella wiring harness for the 4000s but I don't really like the idea of having everything wired and fused separately instead of a separate fuse block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz