COSTMAN13's 2001 Tacoma

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Back to the topper with platform set up or maybe a RTT.

I yearn for a FWC, but have had good luck with both of the other options. I prefer the RTT over a canopy so you have plenty of dry/secure storage that you don't need to worry about keeping clear for sleeping, but the costs start adding up quickly (a canopy + rack + RTT isn't necessarily cheap).

tacotuck

sweet setup costman! do you have any rubbing issues with the 285's? did you have to do any trimming? I love the kmc enduro wheels, i had a pair on my first tacoma a few years ago. I just picked up my third tacoma, its a black 2002 extra cab. I can't decide between going with OME 881 with 265 AT's or OME 882 with 285's. i was set on 265's and 881's until i saw your build! I'm probably going to copy you a bit with my build, I'm drooling over your set up. Keep posting more pictures of your future adventures.

taco_tay

Adventurer
Taylor, we should start putting together a Baja trip for next winter. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude for the late response...I'm down dude!!! Text me and we can start planning the trip.

Costman13

Adventurer
sweet setup costman! do you have any rubbing issues with the 285's? did you have to do any trimming? I love the kmc enduro wheels, i had a pair on my first tacoma a few years ago. I just picked up my third tacoma, its a black 2002 extra cab. I can't decide between going with OME 881 with 265 AT's or OME 882 with 285's. i was set on 265's and 881's until i saw your build! I'm probably going to copy you a bit with my build, I'm drooling over your set up. Keep posting more pictures of your future adventures.

Hey, sorry for the insanely late reply...

I have a bit of rubbing on the frame at full lock due to to wheel offset. I would NOT recommend the KMC enduros. They scratch just looking at them wrong... the 881s and 882s have the same lift specs if I remember correctly, just a different length for weight.. The 880s would work well with 265s. The 883 and the 881s share the same length however have a much stiffer spring rate (I could be mistaken on all of this though).

For a simple low cost upgrade, bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks set on the middle setting (1.75in?) and 265/75s worked well for me until I found what direction I wanted to go in.

In other news, I went out to Moab a month or so ago and spent about 1000 miles worth of exploring. I'll see if I can dig up a few photos. I also built a simple bed platform that uses about 2/3s of the passenger side of the bed. In incorporated a storage compartment under the platform at the front of the bed (back of the cab) and a cubby at the tailgate that fits a few totes and a small webber propane grill. It's been working great and comfortable with a 3" foam pad.

It is nice still having a 1/3 of of the bed easy access gear or supplies. As soon as I get settled in I'll post some pictures.

I also just moved to Missoula, MT! So if any of you guys / gals want to show me the Montana ropes, I'm around.

Costman13

Adventurer
I yearn for a FWC, but have had good luck with both of the other options. I prefer the RTT over a canopy so you have plenty of dry/secure storage that you don't need to worry about keeping clear for sleeping, but the costs start adding up quickly (a canopy + rack + RTT isn't necessarily cheap).

I've been kicking around a set up similar to this, now that the FWC is gone. I'm back to a bed platform for now and have really been enjoying the simplicity of it. It sounds crazy but the FWC was almost too nice. I really didn't feel like I was camping at all. My mind will change come winter and the heater with thermostat is missing.......

dustinxgarrett

#betheadventure
really making me re-think my purchase of a 94 pickup and avoiding the Tacomas. Great truck, so cool seeing all these awesome trucks in Washington! Which lake was that on Page 11, that you had all to yourself?

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Rooftop tent and a mr. Buddy heater is my plan for the winter.

This is what I've been doing and it works great! My dog enjoys the extra heat too on those cold overnights, haha
The tent is easily removable but this time of year I generally just keep it up there.

Costman13

Adventurer
really making me re-think my purchase of a 94 pickup and avoiding the Tacomas. Great truck, so cool seeing all these awesome trucks in Washington! Which lake was that on Page 11, that you had all to yourself?

Thanks for the kind words. That was Baker Lake up off of HWY 20 (North Cascades HWY) great place for a quick overnighter from Bellingham.

Costman13

Adventurer
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm selling a Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM lens in near perfect shape. Below is a cut and past of my CL / Expo ad. Please pass along if you know any photographers who shoot with Canon bodies. Thanks!

I bought this lens about 6 months ago and used it to shoot a vintage motorcycle racing series in Portland, OR. I have since relocated to Missoula, MT and have not been using it.

This is a very beautiful lens, very smooth and crisp.

I have the box, bag, hood, UV filter, and both caps.

Asking $1000.00 firm.

Contact Cameron for photos.

http://missoula.craigslist.org/pho/5071775838.html

***PLEASE EMAIL ME AT cameron.ostman@gmail.com***

Last edited:

MaineFarmer

Observer
Love the truck. I'm working on burning on some hoops and I think I found my inspiration.
How does the OME leaf pack handle the weight of your cap, platform and all the gear that goes with you?
And a RTT is a game changer! Go for it. This is the time of the year to find them used...
ee3abdb456d93b92b16aa9b099b72c39.jpg

d9c72d9d6fd2b67bec312488739be4df.jpg

6d428ea76dea29dbef64943458606ec4.jpg

Those are from a 4 day trip to the North Maine Woods. Myself my fiancé a 4 month old baby and a 100# lab. Without the RTT it wouldn't have been as easy/possible.
Hope you enjoy the fall and all that Montana has to offer. I dream of moving there one day!
Cheers

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
I just skimmed through most of your build and the truck looks awesome. I really like it. I have a 02 DC in the same color with a very similar setup to what you have. Good on you man.

I also lived in Montana for almost 10 years, and don't repeat this, but Montana is a pretty fantastic place. Feel free to give me a shout for info on good places to camp/wheel around Bozeman/Livingston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior