Roninjiro aluminum Nissan D40 camper

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The camper build is officially postponed/dead for now. The tent design (or mesh/zipper) was no good and the camper is off the truck for evaluation. Needless to say we took it off bought tents and left for vacation. Now the camper sits in the garage and it is up in the air what will happen to it.

You will figure it out! It just may need some time to percolate.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
Yep, you'll get it figured out. Sometimes, one step forward, 2 step backwards. Personally, in a pinch I'da used a tarp & made it work ! But next season, no doubt you'll have it perfect!

roninjiro

Explorer
Thank you for the offer Dave, but the camper is on a undetermined hold. I actually stuffed it in a corner of my garage until I redesign the tent (the windows/zippers) or sell it.

I can relate

I have been on the road for 7 weeks with my family touring Canada

I too had hoped to have a completed camper but as my wife says every time she sees a pop up truck camper

"They don't look like they are having any more fun than us!"

Have fun on your trip!

roninjiro

Explorer
Thank you, I most likely be pulling it back out here soon to make the proper adjustments on my rainfly design, and start over on the interior cabinets. I really needed the break from it.

roninjiro

Explorer
The camper project is back underway. We pulled the camper out of the back of the small garage and mounted it to the truck. Revisions to the tent structure were started today and will be continued throughout the week. No rush to finish the revisions and interior at this point, but the quicker I get it done the better.

ober27

Adventurer
Glad to hear you're ready to work on this again. Projects of this size can be demanding, and require a break now and then. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Nilton J

Adventurer
The camper project is back underway. We pulled the camper out of the back of the small garage and mounted it to the truck. Revisions to the tent structure were started today and will be continued throughout the week. No rush to finish the revisions and interior at this point, but the quicker I get it done the better.

Roninjiro,

Many congrats!

Your camper will be the first home-made one having its canopy & tent similar to the australian Trayon camper.

Go ahead, do not give up.

Wish you absolute success!

roninjiro

Explorer
Well guys, the quarter pole/bow supports were resized and repositioned. Seems like it will correct my water/zipper problem. The canopy now has a sloppy look and feel to it (not tight anymore), so it eventually will have to come off for adjustments.

I have also been working toward the additional support for the overhanging portion of the camper, but additional aluminum is required and the metal supply is closed on the weekend. 2 additional latches have been ordered for making sure the canopy is shut.

The original cabinets made for this was tossed and a new style will be started next year.

We have fitted the high density foam mattress to the main bed platform and it is a great fit and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately the interior is bare and incomplete. I really need to post pictures so you guys can see what I mean.

Seems like i went and ran a 5k only to realize I dropped something and ran back 2k to get it.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Glad I just found this thread today! I would have even bummed to watch it progress for 16 pages and then pffft. I can relate on the project. I am restoring my 3rd Airstream, and I expected it done for July 1st. I'm still a outperform of months away, and now it is snowing, and I don't have a garage to work in:(

roninjiro

Explorer
Today I added the additional latches for the front portion of the camper and installed a weather seal for when the camper is closed. tomorrow I will pick up the extra aluminum I need to complete the supports. Again, i need to meet a deadline of thursday for a trip planned. Just need the supports done at the very least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz