Kayak and bike trailer?

nutcracker

We have a hard side camper on our truck. But we need some way to have two bikes and two cayaks with us.
The trailer could fit some gear aswell.
Any ideas and pics?

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 11

huskyrunnr

In the sailing outrigger community, a lot of us buy the cheap Harbor Freight trailers and bolt on an extended tongue tube. I carry a 24' outrigger canoe and a sea kayak on one, the one with 12" wheels, this model: 1090 Lb. Capacity Utility Trailer, 40-1/2" x 48", ~$200. It is a bolt-together but is sturdy enough for highway and gravel FS roads. Going on 6 years with this one.

http://www.castlecraft.com/ has heavy duty kayak purposed trailers.

Philp100

Observer
While I would never spend the kind of money Yakima wants, I have to ask why would you want something heavier duty than a trailer that is designed specifically for what you want it to do? Buying or building a 2000 lb gvw trailer to haul less than 500 lbs of gear will ride too stiff and be harder on your gear than the one designed for the weight you want to haul. The harbor freight trailer will do what you want but it's probably not any heavier duty than the Yakima trailer.

Phil

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Build it! Start with a craigslist jet ski trailer.
Take the bunki boards off, add a couple diamond plate boxes for gear and a douple rack for kayaks on one side
and a 2 or 4 rack for bikes on the other side.

Flip the axle to gain a little lift and add larger wheels and tires.

Attachments

• customkayak.jpg
    customkayak.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz