2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Lots of updates! how are you liking the tall/skinny tires? With all that you've done to the truck what are some of your fav mods/upgrades?

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Lots of updates! how are you liking the tall/skinny tires? With all that you've done to the truck what are some of your fav mods/upgrades?

The tall skinny tires are so far working well for my area, however, the true test will be to see if they work well in the snow/ice that plagues my part of the country. I will be getting small spacers for the wheel to regain some of the track width lost with the skinnier tires however. As far as my favorite mods... hmmmm. Good question! For me it is pretty easy to say the drawers (can keep a lot of supplies organized), GPS, a good set of tires, and the front skid plate. Around here we have a lot of dirt roads that are nice and smooth for 100 miles until out of no-where a large rock protrudes out. That front skid has paid for itself on the first encounter and continues to benefit the vehicle. Honestly looking back on everything I have done to this vehicle, were I to start over again it would be very different. I would go for the 4" SFD paired with OME coils and struts that increase load capacity but provide nearly no lift. 255/85's. I would keep the drawers and the GPS unit along with the skid plates. I would build my own sliders that stick out a little farther to actually be useful as a step and maybe move into the bumpers after that.
`
So yes, GPS, good tires, drawers and front skid plate. Everything else including the lift kit I COULD go without if need be.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
As a small update that has a huge improvement... The front grille I made out of aluminum mesh was removed.. I wanted to see If airflow was getting reduced by it at all... Before the large HID lights went on the hoop, the grille was fine. But the addition of the lights and the grill was severely reducing air-flow. At 50mph I dropped just over 400rpm, that may not seem like much, but going from 2100 rpm to just over 1600 is a big change. Hopefully I can keep around the 18mpg this vehicle has always stayed at but time will tell. The roof basket was also removed in anticipation of the upcoming winter. During the winter months I do not go on trips or go wheeling so the roof basket is just taking up MPG's. I also bed-lined the entire side of the vehicle making the black a straight line from the both front and rear bumpers all the way down. This I have been meaning to do and am glad I finally did it.

marty1977

Adventurer
Kyle do you have any pictures of the bed-liner paint job ( the finished product ) and what did you use ? I'm also toying with idea as I have so many scratches from branches driving in tight spots :)

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Today was kind of a clean-up day for the pathfinder. I went around and cleaned up some exterior welds, removed the rear air spoiler, finalized the wiring for the aux lights up front. I will remove the front and rear bumpers soon and clean up all the welds since I can weld better now. I still need to get a torch and burn one of the holes for the rear bumper bigger since the holes didnt match up.
'
On a side note, my rear diff leaked a little bit and turns out I didnt have the plug tightened all the way :/ haha so 13 oz. later and sealed it back up.
'
The other mechanical thing im trying to track down is a whirring noise. The noise only comes on when I am first driving it for the day. When i reach the end of the dirt road I live on I make a turn onto a 50mph old highway to get to town. While i am turning and accelerating after the stop there is this weird whirring noise that happens at the end of the gear and the start of the next one. It goes away relatively quickly and wont come back for the rest of the day. The noise seems to be coming from underneath the driver seat... Any thoughts?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Driveline noises drive me crazy and with the age of our trucks it could be so many things; rattling metal parts, mounts, bushings, ujoints etc. Best is to just check things over to make sure nothing is about to fall off and that the fluids look good...then turn the radio up :D

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Driveline noises drive me crazy and with the age of our trucks it could be so many things; rattling metal parts, mounts, bushings, ujoints etc. Best is to just check things over to make sure nothing is about to fall off and that the fluids look good...then turn the radio up :D

Welcome to my entire week in WV and PA. Music up windows down and move on with your life. If it ain't leaking or in pieces its probably alright

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94