Showering in the dessert

ab1985

Explorer
Is it ok? I'm reading up on regs for backcountry camping in Utah. If the soap is biodegradable is it ok, or should I pack baby wipes?

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
We done it in the past..
Yes, biodegradable soap is a must...
I don't dig baby wipes, so I try not to use them...

Ramjet

Explorer
Depends on what kind of dessert it is. I mean maybe a banana split or something to that matter, but I wouldn't do it in a hot fudge sundae. :hehe:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Yes, it's ok and biodegradable soap is a great idea. I use a wash cloth instead of baby wipes. I find it easier as it is less to pack.

Deathvalleypaul

Showering in the desert

I use a one gallon plastic garden sprayer with a dish washer hose end on it. Fill it with half hot water and half cold water, use liquid biodegradable soap, and stand on a perforated home entry mat. Feels great

ab1985

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'm having a hard time finding it right now, but I swear I read a paragraph on the NPS website that said dishwater should be strained and dispersed over a broad area. I assumed that had to do with food content, but I wasn't sure if there was a problem dumping a gallon or two in one spot while showering. I use Sea to Summit wilderness wash regardless of where I'm camping so no worries there.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
If your truly in the backcountry its really not a big deal with soap water and what not. Sure its a good idea to have biodegradable stuff but its not gong to really hurt anything. If your camping inside a national park camping then most have some kinda shower for you or you can use the baby wipes. The staircase national monument you wont even run into anyone off the beaten path so no worries. just dont want any cleaning water going into a stream or natural fresh water that people/animals may drink from.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Take a bar of Ivory soap, toss it in a Tupperware bowl with a quart of hot water. Place bowl in sun, shake occasionally to completely dissolve the bar of soap.

You'll be left with a bowl of slippery goo. Saturate washcloths with goo, hang 'em on the line to dry.

Take a bag of dry, soap-impregnated washcloths with you. All you need is the water.

(Dump the rest of the goo in the pump soap dispenser in the bathroom, it makes GREAT handsoap).

A cheap Yankee told you that.

Ramjet

Explorer
Take a bar of Ivory soap, toss it in a Tupperware bowl with a quart of hot water. Place bowl in sun, shake occasionally to completely dissolve the bar of soap.

You'll be left with a bowl of slippery goo. Saturate washcloths with goo, hang 'em on the line to dry.

Take a bag of dry, soap-impregnated washcloths with you. All you need is the water.

(Dump the rest of the goo in the pump soap dispenser in the bathroom, it makes GREAT handsoap).

A cheap Yankee told you that.

Ha ha. Love this idea. Will have to try it out on the next trip. Thanks, SixBennetts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior