seanpistol's 01 Tundra

dyogim

Explorer
Great update and glad to see you are happy with the results. Have you recalibrated since the upgrade to 35's and now the regear? These changes will impact the numbers for your mpg's. I've given up trying to figure out my mpg's. LOL!

AaronK

Explorer
This thread just made me realize that I'm getting more mpg than I'm calculating because the tires are oversized (32) but the computer was never recalibrated

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

seanpistol

Explorer
Bullfrog- I run a K&N lifetime filter.

Mike- I am calculating a 13% under error for the tires and a 14.2% over error for the gears. Should mean that after both the tire and gear change I'm 1.2% over.... Very minimal. As in my odometer is reading just 1.2% less than it should when calculating mileage, and 100 mph indicated is 98.8 mph actual.

Do you calculate different?

I don't know if it would work for your T100, but Brian Ellinger of Front Range Off Road just announced a long travel IFS kit that uses a Toyota 8" diff. It's supposed to have about 3x the travel of a stock Tacoma and it's completely bolt on. I know you just regeared your truck, but I thought this may interest you.

Matt

dyogim

Explorer
Bullfrog- I run a K&N lifetime filter.

Mike- I am calculating a 13% under error for the tires and a 14.2% over error for the gears. Should mean that after both the tire and gear change I'm 1.2% over.... Very minimal. As in my odometer is reading just 1.2% less than it should when calculating mileage, and 100 mph indicated is 98.8 mph actual.

Do you calculate different?

Here's what I've used in the past: http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

Gear ratios for the A340F transmission:
1st. 2.804
2nd 1.531
3rd 1.000
4th 0.705 (Overdrive)

I then take the results and try to match what I obtain visually on the dash. I have yet to use my OBDII reader to see what the data show there.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Makes me want to regear and throw a arb in the rear. I'm only on 32s but not sure what to regear too. Maybe 410 or 430
I just want power back due to heavy and larger tires. Want better shift points too. /QUOTE]

I'd go 4.30. You'd be over geared with 32s but if you go up to 33s it'd be spot on for the v8 and you wouldn't have to swap gears again. And IMO I like being slightly overgeared. The difference off pavement is night and day.

awesome. I wanna order completely built diffs from ECGS but not im worry with the issue sean had..

Adventurous

Explorer
I don't know if it would work for your T100, but Brian Ellinger of Front Range Off Road just announced a long travel IFS kit that uses a Toyota 8" diff. It's supposed to have about 3x the travel of a stock Tacoma and it's completely bolt on. I know you just regeared your truck, but I thought this may interest you.

Matt

Link? I just tried searching for it with no luck.

rickashay

Explorer
Here's what I've used in the past: http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

Gear ratios for the A340F transmission:
1st. 2.804
2nd 1.531
3rd 1.000
4th 0.705 (Overdrive)

I then take the results and try to match what I obtain visually on the dash. I have yet to use my OBDII reader to see what the data show there.

What the heck is different with my Canadian Tundra? I'm around 11% under with my gears and tires according to my gps.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Toyotech-

You could always pick up an inexpensive used set of 4.30 diffs locally from an auto non-TRD Tacoma and swap those in to see if you like the ratio, then order gears and have em installed in your original diffs so there's no down time. Then sell the used diffs when you swap in the original diffs with new gears. Sure it's extra work but you wouldn't be left hanging due to human error.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Sean-
What tires do you plan to run next? Maybe its the angle but it looks like you are due for a new set soon and as you know those MTRs are disco'd! I'd like to hear your thoughts as I need to get tires before too long

Climbermac

Observer
I couldn't agree more: 4.56's were one of the BEST things I've done to my Tundra. Glad to know they will still behave as well with 35's, I was a bit worried that I should have gone 4.88 to cover the potential to step up in shoes again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online