seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
I purchased sliders since they've got free shipping at All-Pro and I have zero experience with tube. I did research some benders and contemplated purchasing one, but figured I'd make the bumpers out of plate anyway. I'd like to have a tube bender some day.

This is the one that had my eye-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqS6ZAKmvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPSPzAtWiI

A notcher they make-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16PG5obIz4U

This manual bender is also real slick-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ayPD5s4uiXM

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Bender&Notcher/Bender/

I could easily spend every dollar to my name on tools... Probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm having an internal debate on building the front bumper to hold a winch or not. I think it would be more useful to have a winch on a cradle with quick disconnects for power in both the front and rear bumpers. Then I could build the front bumper higher and tighter with a 2" receiver in it.

But, then I'm faced with the issue of where to store the cradle. I could make an elevated receiver, bolted down in the left rear part of the bed that the cradle could slide into. Keep it from moving around with a locking hitch pin to keep it secure. Another thought is that if I made a swingout on the rear bumper I could weld on a receiver high enough to store the cradle out of the way of the departure angle... Not sure.

Then I also picture myself lugging a 100lb cradle through knee deep snow and don't like that image. But how often do you actually use your winch, and how many of those times would it have been easier to winch backwards instead of forwards...

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The idea of having double duty winch is cool. Like you I don't want to lug it around when in need. I have had my winch on my runner in the front with arb bumper. Haven't been in a situation where I said i wish I could go back. Usually I go forward or I use other means of recovery tools to go backwards. Like shovels and traction mat.
Imo i rather have a winch front and rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dyogim

Explorer
I say build both. A platform for a winch and a receiver in the front. Then, purchase a cradle to use with a winch. If that ends up not working out to your needs, bolt the winch to the intended area. You can still use the receiver as a connection point when winching your self out and doubling the line or use it to manuever trailers easier. With the question, where would you store it? This dilemma is similar to the spare tire issue. If there's a place for it, utilize it so it's one less thing you have to worry about. I opted to have it bolted to the bumper. For security, one of the cross bars would have to be cut out if I wanted to remove the winch or I would have to dismantle the winch in multiple pieces to take it out. This was intentional.

In all honesty, I try to avoid situations that will get me stuck. Regardless, of how set-up my rig is. It's practically my daily driver and I don't want to beat it up.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I'd imagine quite a bit. I think the original shipping charge was about $50. That was with all of the pieces (but not the hydraulic ram) laid flat in a cardboard box and not welded. Once welded, the base is like a rocking horse and pretty large in all dimensions. The two disks on the sides would probably have to be in a different box, same for the aluminum die and other parts. Shoot, then there is the hydraulic ram. It'll add up :Wow1:

seanpistol

Explorer
It was a warm 50 degrees today so I got motivated to paint the sliders and start planning out my backseat dog/storage platform.

Removed the 4 bolts for the rear seat and was amazed at how much room became available back there-

As Derek24 warned me, it's crazy loud in the cab with the backseat out. Sounds like a door is open. I was thinking of laying sound deadener over the back wall, but the majority of the noise is definitely coming from the pressure relief vents that are now exposed. Did some research into plugging the vents and quickly came to the conclusion that they're important. I read about people that wanted the space to mount amps back there and after they plugged the vents their A/C wouldn't work nearly as well as it should, doors wouldn't close quite right, and pressure builds up in the ears.

I decided to remove the lower part of the seat and re-install the seat back. This still gives me a lot more room than I had and I don't have to mess with plugging the vents, the noise, making that back wall look nice or comfortable for my dog to lay against. My platform should end up being real comfy for the hound and allow for a ton of storage underneath- obviously at the expense of sacrificing rear seating. This is part of the reason why I've been trying to find someone with a bench seat to swap. No luck yet, though.

I also sold the Wet Okole covers off the front seats for a 400% profit today- only to fund another set for a bench seat when I finally get one.

Here's an old one of me and the Heeler/Aussie mutt, apres ski-

I removed all the dirt and oil from the sliders with gasoline to prep for paint. Here they are all nice and shiny-

I laid down two cans worth of Rustoleum self-etching primer, probably 4 light coats- and 4 cans worth of Rustoleum bedliner, probably 5 or 6 thicker coats.

I moved them into the garage for the night, but here you can see some texture. Hoping to get them welded on tomorrow. Since I ran my ARB air line through my frame rail, I'll probably need to pull it out before I weld on the frame. I don't think it'd like that much heat near it.

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
Looks great, good work! I always wanted to remove the bottom part of the seat when I did that, but never did. I did plug up those vent holes haha, laid sound deadening right over them. From what I remember everything seemed fine after doing that. But it was still a little loud. Can't wait to see the sliders on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz