seanpistol's 01 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thd problem is as much power but the pre 2004 tundra are all 4 speed with long gears. The taco has a 5 speed auto so it can handle it a little better.
Also the pre 2004 didn't have VVTI while all the 2nd gen tacos did

I bet a 2005-2006 tundra with 5 speed and VVTI can handle larger tires much better without re gearing

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Thd problem is as much power but the pre 2004 tundra are all 4 speed with long gears. The taco has a 5 speed auto so it can handle it a little better.
Also the pre 2004 didn't have VVTI while all the 2nd gen tacos did

I bet a 2005-2006 tundra with 5 speed and VVTI can handle larger tires much better without re gearing

I know my 2006 Tundy seems to have plenty o' power... Perkier than my 2001 4.7 in the Sequoia

seanpistol

Explorer
Well, I always have bigger plans for the truck, but for now you gotta enjoy the little things. Got a set of Wet Okole seat covers off the local Craigslist for $25!

CrewServed

"That" guy
What a great price! Also, I'm totally jelly that you've got bucket front seats. I've got 60/40 seats up front, and I kinda-sorta hate them.

seanpistol

Explorer
I have a local ad trying to trade for the 60/40- I'd really like to remove the rear seat and make a platform for my dog and still be able to fit a third person if need be. Plus, the gal can sit in the middle... I love bench seats. Couldn't pass up this deal on the seat covers, though. They're pretty padded as well and make the seats seems more comfortable. I like them a lot!

CrewServed

"That" guy
Well, then. It seems you have given me an idea of what to do with my own truck. I guess I DO want a 60/40 bench seat up front.

seanpistol

Explorer
Haha, perfect! I was envisioning a platform as tall as possible for the height of the dog and the ability to store all kinds of things underneath, organized.

Just threw on a used set of Nitto Terra Grappler M/T's to replace the worn out Hankook Dynapro ATMs I got 70,000 miles out of. First impression is that they howl, but they look mean. I am excited to get out of an all-terrain for the mud-terrain's ability to clear snow from the lugs. I was never able to get the Dynapro's balanced... had it done a few times over their lifespan, rotated them all the time, and still have a ton of steering wheel shimmy and vibration on the highway. Kind of got used to it. These Grappler M/Ts balanced perfectly- no vibration at all. Real happy with that.

I wanted to buy brand new Duratracs, but I still have dreams of re-gearing and tubbing for 35's- so these Grapplers with 8/32 tread should get my by until then. That might happen next fall when I get a bonus that is coming to me at that point.

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
My truck is nearly your twin. I just have a bit less blackout done. Where'd you nab those side moldings? I did some generic stuff that I'm starting not to like so much.

I just went with some BFG's in 235/85/16. So far, I love the look and ride.

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks! Those are a really nice looking fit.

They fit very well. Cost $50 less when I bought them a few years ago than what they're asking now. Hardest part of getting them on was getting them in a nice straight line. The adhesive on the back doesn't ever wan't to come off, so after you stick it on- it's on. I did have to re-do one side, which required buying a roll of the 3m adhesive, and a special $30 3m wheel attachment for a drill to remove the adhesive from the truck. Pretty nasty stuff.

tyv12

Adventurer
I'm thinking the same thing that low slung 35's would be awesome but don't wanna be the first guy to try it so get it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
It's been done several times. Devinsixtyseven on Tundrasolutions is tubbed with long travel for 37's. Benc on here has tubbed for 35's.

Here is Benc's work-

dy5u6esu.jpg

a2a7amav.jpg

yzeramap.jpg

ze7ujabu.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
It's been done several times. Devinsixtyseven on Tundrasolutions is tubbed with long travel for 37's. Benc on here has tubbed for 35's.

Here is Benc's work-

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Did either of them describe what suspension mods went along with the 35s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke