seanpistol's 01 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I plan on removing my back seats as well any reason why you didn't remove all of it?

Also how is the hi lift mounted. I been looking for a better place for it but easy to get to and handle since they are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
How much did you want for that rear bumper again? :sombrero:

Truck looks great man, love it!

Haha, thank you! I'm very pleased with it, especially the improvement in departure angle without bobbing the bed. Can you weld and cut metal? It really wasn't too difficult to make.

I plan on removing my back seats as well any reason why you didn't remove all of it?

Also how is the hi lift mounted. I been looking for a better place for it but easy to get to and handle since they are heavy.

Hi-lift is mounted to the bedrail using their LOC-RAC - http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/loc-rac.html

A few pages back I posted some photos of the seat completely out and it's amazing how much room there is back there. I found that there are two vents behind the backseat that equalize the pressure in the cab- making the doors close nice and ears from feeling plugged up. Without the seat back installed, it sounds like you have a door open while driving down the road. Loud enough to make a conversation with someone sitting next to you difficult. You don't want to plug the vents. I left the seat back installed but removed the seat bottoms to make as much room as possible, but have contemplating the idea of adding my own padding to a sheet of plywood, to mount in the same spot as the seat back and make a few extra inches of room.

On the winch research- I am currently leaning toward the Superwinch Tigershark 9.5 with synthetic line.... I really don't like Smittybilt, even with their significant warranty. Warn is overpriced, but obviously considered to be the best.

The Superwinch seems to be a really good bang for the buck.

Any other opinions or links to reviews I should read?

seanpistol

Explorer
Posting a lot of info here, but it helps me keep track of ideas.

I am assuming I'm going to want a heavier spring rate with the added weight of a bumper and winch. My OME 886 coils have a 656 lb spring rate and are 15.8" tall and I love the way the truck rides. I wouldn't want a 600 lb coil on the stock front end with the weight of the V8. Kartek has Eibach 16" springs with 700lb spring rate, and KING springs in both 700 and 750 lb rates in the 16" length. I'd likely have them put on a new set of 5100s at Kartek before they ship. This way I can easier install them and easier sell my 886/5100 combo. Then get a proper alignment to DJ's specs (which have had my truck driving flawlessly for 40k miles) with the new springs and weight of the bumper/winch on the truck.

Eibach's - http://www.kartek.com/Product/685/2-5-ID-ERO-Coil-Springs-16-Tall.aspx

KING's - http://www.kartek.com/Product/3188/2-5-ID-16-Length-Coil-Springs-.aspx

EDIT: called Kartek, these springs won't work without a threaded body. Apparently Eibach makes a factory replacement type strut with a threaded body called the BTS that I can look into.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
By the way, not feeling too bad about spending a few bucks on the truck because I'm getting out of riding motorcycles on the street and selling the bike I custom built. It's a 1983 XL600r enduro I turned into a dedicated street bike. Kind of a vintage supermoto. She rips canyons hard and weighs under 300 lbs. Not pictured is a huge supermoto front rotor, with rebuilt caliper and custom braided line.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a Smittybilt with synthetic rope and wireless remote on order. its been on back order since I got the bumper installed.
I went with smittybilt because i already have there 8k with steel cable on my runner for a few years now. it has worked every time and used it over a dozen times now. motor is getting a little noisier than when it was new. havent really looked into it but considering i paid $300 new. it has already saved me and others many times.
with big purchases, i like to buy local just in cause i need to deal with warranty. i just take it in and talk to someone instead of dealing with over the phone and shipping

I gonna remove the backseats completely and figure a way to not block the vents but do something to reduce the noise it makes

tyv12

Adventurer
I put those 16" 700# Ibachs in my tundra and they were a pita to get on the coilovers but the ride is much better having the longer coil

seanpistol

Explorer
I put those 16" 700# Ibachs in my tundra and they were a pita to get on the coilovers but the ride is much better having the longer coil

I just looked up your post on that. Awesome. I believe I may end up getting a pair of coilovers- trying to find a used pair to rebuild, revalve, and put heavier coils on.

You have a winch in that front bumper? I'm debating between 700 and 750 lb coils. I really just don't want sag over time with all that weight on the front, although you imply that with the longer 16" 700 lb coil I guess there is room to crank it up if need be.

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Haha, thank you! I'm very pleased with it, especially the improvement in departure angle without bobbing the bed. Can you weld and cut metal? It really wasn't too difficult to make.

I have the skills but not the shop at the moment. I'm trying to talk my friend into helping me out as he has ample space and tools.

As for suspension, can you adjust the 5100's higher to compensate for the sag? How much height do you expect to lose? I wouldn't think more than an inch, if even that much?

seanpistol

Explorer
I highly recommend building your own rear bumper if you can get access to the shop. It could easily be done in a weekend for less than $150 in materials! I had a good time making mine.

The OME coil is so long and stiff that the shop had a hell of a time compressing them enough to even get them on the bottom perch of the 5100s. I don't think I want to set them any higher to compensate.

I believe I am going to go the route of buying a used set of coilovers and adding the longer, heavier springs as tyv12 has done. Then sell the 5100/OME886 combo.

tyv12

Adventurer
I don't have a winch in there but the bumper is about 80lbs and my truck is a dc, talking with the sway away tech support I set up the these coils for when I put a winch in and it won't take much to adjust for the winch. SAW tech said 750lb for a tundra you wouldn't even be able to make them work because they wouldn't compress enough to mount right at the top nut

rickashay

Explorer
Glad your trip went well Sean. Sorry I didnt get back to you with some to-do's" while in Van. Although I'm sure you made out ok, it's an awesome city.

seanpistol

Explorer
Glad your trip went well Sean. Sorry I didnt get back to you with some to-do's" while in Van. Although I'm sure you made out ok, it's an awesome city.

No worries, we had a good time in Canada! Won't be the last.

That bike is gorgeous. I'd kill for one like that.

Great looking truck too by the way!

Thank you very much! The bike was a lot of work and is a lot of fun, but I have plenty of other projects to focus on.

seanpistol

Explorer
This set of Camburg coilovers is in the mail. Was only on the guys truck for 9 months before he went to a drop bracket lift and needed something else. Pretty happy with spending $400 on these.

Called Kartek on the phone and ordered a set of 16" 700lb springs to replace the stock 14" 650lb springs. The Kings were $40 cheaper than the Eibachs. Kartek guy said there are rumors that King springs are made by Eibach, but King denies it and he's seen a couple King springs fail... but never Eibach. The silver will look better than the blue on my red coilovers anyway.

After several days of research, ordered a Superwinch Tigershark 9500 lb winch with synthetic line.
t700_39f3e08abf8e60bcfd11d8aba6e13d72.jpg

Placed a little order with Wheelers- more dry lube for my balls, a set of Trailhead deflators, a tree saver strap (still shopping for a snatch block), and a 3-pack add-a-leaf. Going to get rid of the block I have currently and probably run the leaf pack without the overload spring. Also ordered a U-bolt flip kit from Marlin Crawler - https://www.marlincrawler.com/suspension/full-kits/u-bolt-flip-kit

Going to look at, and probably purchase, a green Tepui Kukenam with Annex tomorrow evening. I'll build a relatively low bed rack for it myself. Another local guy has a Fabtech angled tire carrier for super cheap I'm going to swoop. Annex isn't shown in the photo he sent me-

Plus, I have half a gallon of POR-15 coming to do my frame, rear axle, and anything else I can find that needs it. Whew. I have a lot of work to do. It's adventure season.

rickashay

Explorer
Wow stoked for all the updates! I hear yah on the large to-do list before adventure season... it's at our doorstep and I'm no where near prepared!

Good score on the coilovers. All this coil talk is making me nervous. I am not sure what coils are on my fox's....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles