seanpistol's 01 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice set of mods. It's nice to see the few tundra builds each being built a little differently. The lack of mod bring on more unique builds. More ideas and options to play around with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

775tundra

Explorer
I've been looking for a full size spare for a while and haven't found much of anything but junk. Came across a 285 Duratrac with a ton of tread on it for cheap. Threw it on a Wheelers steelie with the same backspacing as the rest of my wheels. It hangs down pretty far in the stock spare location, but there is room to angle it down a bit. When it's not the season to have a snowmobile in the back of my truck I'll strap it down in the bed.

My bumper is also powdercoated and on- still need to mount the plate and rig up lights. It's zip tied on as of now.

What did you use to build the bumper?

seanpistol

Explorer
Nice set of mods. It's nice to see the few tundra builds each being built a little differently. The lack of mod bring on more unique builds. More ideas and options to play around with.

I agree with ya- diferent strokes for different folks, since we all use our rigs for different purposes. Cool to see.

Wow stoked for all the updates! I hear yah on the large to-do list before adventure season... it's at our doorstep and I'm no where near prepared!

Good score on the coilovers. All this coil talk is making me nervous. I am not sure what coils are on my fox's....

I'd assume 14" 650 lb coils like everyone else, you ever going to add more weight to the front?

seanpistol

Explorer
Took my sway bar out for the first time was surprised to find that I gained zero additional droop. I'm wondering if this is because of my OME/5100 setup I have, and some travel may be gained with the Camburg Coilovers that are on the way... Anyone have any input?

tyv12

Adventurer
I know with c/o I definitely gained with removing the sway bar not so much droop but gained up travel, with the sway bar it would lift a rear tire rather than stuff Into the wheelwell

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427563831.631115.jpg
It wouldn't get close to this with the sway bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
I agree with ya- diferent strokes for different folks, since we all use our rigs for different purposes. Cool to see.

I'd assume 14" 650 lb coils like everyone else, you ever going to add more weight to the front?

Yes, but not for a year at least. I'll just have to watch how your setup works out.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I gained maybe an inch of down travel without the swaybar. Like tyv12 tho it's most noticeable on up travel.

seanpistol

Explorer
I jacked up a front tire to check up-travel this morning and am seeing no benefit in that direction either from removing the sway bar. Also, I can't tell if there is no difference in body roll without the sway bar, so at this point it seems like the sway bar did absolutely nothing for me besides be a PITA to get out... ha! Wondering if the 15.86" 660 lb OME coils and the Bilstein 5100s are the limiting factor here. I'm measuring a measly 6" of wheel travel. 4" up and 2" down. With maximum up-travel, I am still an inch away from the bump stops and the tire is nowhere near the top of the fender well.

When I bought the UCAs, Camburg claimed to me on the phone that when paired with their coilovers, 4" of additional droop over stock is achieved. I'm very interested to see what I can make my front end do with these new coilovers...

This conversation with a super knowledgeable TS member has me curious if the 16" 700 lb Eibach coils I ordered are really going to give me the most benefit. Going to Call Camburg and Eibach to get some numbers tomorrow and try to figure it out- http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...006/336122-craiglist-find-camburg-c-os-500-a/

Picked up an angled Fabtech tire carrier off the local classifieds yesterday. It was kind of rough looking, so I sanded it down and painted it with my favorite paint- Rustoleum bedliner in a can- and cleaned up the aluminum top plate with a wire wheel.

I'm going to make the bed rack for the rooftop tent this week- my welder is supposed to be repaired on Wednesday. Going to make the rack pretty low and sit just above the spare tire to keep the tent out of the wind and the CG as low as possible.

Last edited:

tyv12

Adventurer
erictice@swayaway.com
This is one of the engineers at sway away he was very helpful with me, he gets you to fill out a worksheet with some measurements, like I said mine rides amazing now with the 16/700/3 coils

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you for that contact!

In regards to travel, this was posted by a knowledgeable TS member-

"Stock suspension/Aftermarket UCA or not, Bilsteins only give 6" of suspension travel. So your suspension travel #'s are within what they only give.
The Aftermarket 2.5" coilovers give around 7.5" - 8" of suspension travel depending on limiting factors of the swaybar being installed or not.
The extended length/extended travel built coilovers with an UCA give between 8.5-10" of overall suspension travel based on the different manufacturers, sway bar connected or not. "

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have 5100 and wouldn't mind a little more travel. Only problem I have is I don't like coilovers. I would need to find a shock with extended travel.

seanpistol

Explorer
Camburg coilovers are discontinued, but were made by Sway-A-Way. Called SAW and got the engineer on the phone. Camburg told me to expect 10"-12" of travel with the coilover paired with the Uniball UCA, but this was the same uninformed person that told me they were 2.5" ID coils- which was wrong.

Camburg coilover
shock shaft travel - 4.69" stroke
a 13" 650 lb 3" ID coil comes on it with 7.3" of travel

He suggested sticking with the 650 lb spring rate. A 16" coil will fit and easily achieve 3" of lift, but you will be driving around at almost full droop all the time. The 16" coil adjusted all the way out will have 2.5" of preload. A 14" will fit and have 1.6" of preload. I wrote down 2" of thread showing with the 13" coil. He suggested sticking with the 13" 650 lb coil that is on there, with the bumper and winch, and if I can't get the lift I want out of it, to then switch to the 14" coil.

By the way, the OEM spring rate for the access cab 1st gens is 575 lbs. Double cabs is 750 lbs.

As a note, he said that the preload must not exceed 3" of thread showing with the 13" 650 lb coil or the spring will bottom out.

Eibach spring travel numbers
14" 650 lb 3"ID - 7.41" travel
14" 700 lb 3"ID 7.44" travel

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior