seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Just picked up a front diff with 4.70 gear ratio out of a 1993 T100. After I find the rear, I'm going to put the ARB in and tub the cab to fit 35s.

Looking for the rear third member with the 4.70, so if anyone sees a T100 being parted out- please keep me in mind!

trucks that should have the 4.70-

4x2 one ton with auto trans
some 4x4s

4x2 one ton with auto trans
some 4x4s

1995 and up cannot be found with the 4.70 ratio.

Thanks expo!

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
^^ Should be the exact same...I think he just swapped cuz it already had 4.70s loaded in it?...??

By the way, where you been Sean?..Aint seen hide nor hair of you on TS for months?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Didn't know the t100 shared the same front and rear diff as the tundra.
Is this for all year t100?

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Nevermind...I just checked, and I guess I dont know T100s as much as I thought, and assumed too much...The carriers are the same, but gears and housings are completely different...Rears however, are pretty much the same diff wise, from T100/Tacoma/Tundra...

Which begs the question, Sean, are you planning on swapping the whole front housing? Cuz, the part that I do know, is that the early "pumpkin" front diff has normal cut gears, but the clamshell diffs are high pinion and reverse cut...??

I had a TrueTrac from an early IFS 3rd, and I was in the process of swapping it into my Tacoma clamshell, but then my frame rotted in half, and it went back to Toyota, to make its final trip to the Great Scrapyard in the Sky... :(

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

seanpistol

Explorer
Well... pretty bummed to find out the front diff won't work because it's a passenger side drop instead of driver side drop. The rear diff would bolt right in. Dang... back to the drawing board.

seanpistol

Explorer
Almost had me out looking for t100 diffs lol.

I definitely blew it on this one. Should have read further into it- 4.30 gears from a V6 tundra with the 5 speed would definitely work. But I feel like it's almost pointless for the amount of effort required. I'd do it if it fell into my lap. But if I'm going to regear, it's going to be for 35s.

seanpistol

Explorer
Went wheeling at this spot called Forest Trail off American Fork canyon after it rained the other day. My roommate has a stock Tacoma with an e-locker and he took his truck as well. It's kind of sad to try and wheel without a locker. My big tires and better suspension got me up and over things easier, but his locker put me to shame in a few sections. A locker, sliders, and full skids need to be a priority. I could easily make the skids myself and weld on some purchased sliders. I need to sell my extra snowmobile to make that happen... workin' on it!

Forest Trail starts off with the most technical (especially when it's muddy) rock section I've ever put my truck through. Made it through, but smashed a center cap on a rock. Been thinking about taking those out anyway. This is the area where I really needed a locker.

THE SMALL THUMBNAILS ARE VIDEOS, CLICK EM!

The rocks are not as large or in such a steep section the rest of the way, but it's still several miles of slow technical driving. Fun stuff.

It finally ends up at this lake in the middle of nowhere.

seanpistol

Explorer
Also, I need new tires- the minimal tread left on my Hankooks sucked in the mud. Been planning on getting a set of Duratracs before the snow starts falling here, but I was hoping they'd be 35s :(

rickashay

Explorer
Also, I need new tires- the minimal tread left on my Hankooks sucked in the mud. Been planning on getting a set of Duratracs before the snow starts falling here, but I was hoping they'd be 35s :(

I saw your t100 gear plan wont work out, but do you think it will be that bad on 35's and stock gears? A lot of my buddies with 2nd Gen Tacomas run 35's and stock gears with the 4.0L V6. Not optimal but I bet the 2UZ would do fine until you can get some 4.88's or 4.56's.

seanpistol

Explorer
I saw your t100 gear plan wont work out, but do you think it will be that bad on 35's and stock gears? A lot of my buddies with 2nd Gen Tacomas run 35's and stock gears with the 4.0L V6. Not optimal but I bet the 2UZ would do fine until you can get some 4.88's or 4.56's.

I'm sure it's doable, but the 33s are already a noticeable difference from the stock tire size. I tow snowmobiles in the winter time, usually up steep, long hills- I don't want any less grunt than I already have. I'd rather do it all at one time, and in all honesty, you're only going to gain an inch of ground clearance with the bigger tires. That doesn't mean I don't want em, tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles