seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Not sure of the exact weight, but I believe it's supposed to be around 850lbs. My truck is sitting perfectly level at the moment with the camper on it :wings:

Drove to Idaho to pick it up today! 1987 FWC 7' Fleet model. Guy had it on a T100 previously. It's super clean inside! Going to start dinking with it tomorrow... my solar panel and heater have already shown up.

AaronK

Explorer
Jealous. One of those would be ideal. I didn't realize FWC has been in business that long.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Benc

Explorer
Nice score!
You should check out the ctek d250s, great charge controller with a solar port.
I have 3 batteries set up on mine and it has no problem keeping them charged up,
I run 2 in the truck and one in my trailer with a quick disconnect on the trailer.

If you didn't want to run dual batteries in the truck you could put the second battery, charge control and solar panel in the camper with a quick connect in the bed somewhere going to the main battery, the ctek will automatically switch to the best charging source,
It also is a smart charger,
It monitors the temperature of the battery and gives it the best voltage for the conditions. I have seen mine put out as much as 14.8v when the battery has been run down, most deep cycle batteries need higher voltage to recover after they have been run down.
abb48c1b09131b2ee5cccee21beb6729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks guys. I need to find my gopro to get some interior pics with a wide angle. Last weekend I pulled the old propane Dometic fridge out.

The fridge made the seal with the cabinet, and I was left with vents to the outside that allowed weather to come straight in. I removed the vents and cut aluminum to size. I painted, sealed it with silicone, and screwed it on.

This is a temporary fix as I may want to re-skin the camper in a couple years.

I stopped by the Salt Lake FWC dealer, Equipt Expedition Outfitters, to order a patch kit for the couple worn spots in the vinyl. Such a cool shop. Got some good ideas for the interior from brand new campers and from the owner, Paul. Paul just installed the supercharger on his Tundra and is leaving for Overland East today pulling an equally cool trailer.

Last edited:

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Like the new camper. Could you take some picture on the internal pop up mechanisms? I'm wanting to build a similar style of pop up.

seanpistol

Explorer
Must have been heading to Home Depot one of three times yesterday, ha! Were you in the CCSB? I saw one just like yours at Oktoberfest yesterday afternoon, and pointed out to my girlfriend that's what I want as a puller, with the zf5 and dana 60 swap.

I haven't messed with the camper since I have been busy finishing up projects around the house- although I have parts ready and I'm excited to start tearing apart the interior. Got my garage done and my sliding door in the back of the house so my big house projects are on hold till spring. Finishing up the slider project today. This is what has been taking up all my time-

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Nice job on the garage. Cant beat having an enclosed space, especially for welding and for when winter comes. Gonna have to build a double step for that patio door.

seanpistol

Explorer
Did some work on the camper today. First I took some interior photos to share and document a "before".

Sleeping area only is 6' in length, that's not going to work for me. King size bed in the works.

This is where I removed the old Dometic propane fridge and moved the end of the cabinet in-

Aft lift panel is trash. As you can see in the previous photo, there isn't a front lift panel at all. They must have broke it and then used the electrical conduit as a cheap fit to have something to wedge up in place. It holds the roof up, but makes it very hard to "raise the roof".

Previous owner tried to make some sort of flip out bunk and storage box under the front window-

Starting to tear everything apart-

Two coffees and two bloody's later-

I had two brand new lift panels built for me by All Terrain Camper. The hinges were garbage enough on the aft lift panel that I decided to not make my own. With the front non-existant, I had nowhere to start. I decided to bite the bullet and order brand new.

The vinyl is in good shape. There are a few rips that have been patched with silicone, but the camper is water-tight. I've had it popped up for the last two weeks and the thundershowers that have rolled through have proved the silicone is doing its job. However, I ordered a patch-kit from FWC to make sure it lasts.

Right now I'm figuring out exactly how I want to do the layout since I have a blank slate. I am going to re-insulate the walls, better than when it was new. I picked up white 2" beadboard for the paneling.

I will re-use some but not all of the existing cabinet. I want to keep the sink. Un-sure of the stove since I am more of a jet-boil chef. I would like to do a new storage area and battery box up front, and a better bunk on the right side that actually has storage underneath it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz