seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Finally replaced the battery that was in my truck when I bought it 5 years ago. I figured that it's bound to finally die at the least convenient time. Went with the DieHard Platinum Marine 31m. Read all kinds of stuff about needing to extend the ground wire, extending the J-hook, maybe trimming the battery tray.... I just threw it in to see what needed to be done and it fit! Ground wire was excessively long. Power was barely long enough, but I was able to slightly re-route it on the side. Adjusted the J-hook to max length and bolted it down. This guy is at least twice as heavy as the old battery. Also disabled the DRLs when I could get to the plug with the battery out.

Don't have any photos, but I also bolted the bed rack to the bedrails, my hi-lift and shovel to the rack, and my ammo can toolbox to the bed. Then pulled it off to paint tomorrow.

rickashay

Explorer
Love that DH 31M battery. Definitely picking one up in August when I'm down in the US. Stoked to see the bedrack and bumper all bolted on Sean!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I need a new battery as well and been looking to do that same battery but was worry about how it would fit. Guess I'll be picking one up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpoScout

Explorer
Finally replaced the battery that was in my truck when I bought it 5 years ago. I figured that it's bound to finally die at the least convenient time. Went with the DieHard Platinum Marine 31m. Read all kinds of stuff about needing to extend the ground wire, extending the J-hook, maybe trimming the battery tray.... I just threw it in to see what needed to be done and it fit! Ground wire was excessively long. Power was barely long enough, but I was able to slightly re-route it on the side. Adjusted the J-hook to max length and bolted it down. This guy is at least twice as heavy as the old battery. Also disabled the DRLs when I could get to the plug with the battery out.

Don't have any photos, but I also bolted the bed rack to the bedrails, my hi-lift and shovel to the rack, and my ammo can toolbox to the bed. Then pulled it off to paint tomorrow.

You'll like the Platinum. Mine fit ok but the positive line was a little on the short side like yours. It's never hesitated for me for even a second.

Love that DH 31M battery. Definitely picking one up in August when I'm down in the US. Stoked to see the bedrack and bumper all bolted on Sean!

It's worth it.

I need a new battery as well and been looking to do that same battery but was worry about how it would fit. Guess I'll be picking one up tomorrow.

Some people seem to have more problems with it than others. The hold down is a little wide and I just altered it by welding a new little piece of angle on there. The tray was fine though. Great battery.

trailscape

Explorer
I've had my DH Platinum 31 for a bit over 3 years now. I also have an Optima Yellowtop as an auxiliary in the bed running on solar. Both have been excellent batteries thus far.

seanpistol

Explorer
One of the studs sheared off my All-Pro spacer today when I was rotating my tires... further research reveals the spacers are NOT anodized, and the corrosion on the remaining studs looks excessive. I emailed them to see if they stand by their product, and they quickly responded saying they'd ship out new spacers tomorrow.

Old bumper is off. Coilovers are out. Everything coming together tomorrow and taking off for Moab Saturday AM after an alignment.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Dude!! I'm headed for moab Thursday. Suppose to be a taco rock therapy event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amgvr4

Adventurer
Take lots of pictures in Moab! I am looking to do a trip there next year after lockers and a winch, who knows maybe even a rear three link!

seanpistol

Explorer
Just finished the 3.5 hour drive home from Moab. I can't believe I have lived in Utah for 7 years and have never been down there... what an awesome place! This will undoubtedly be the first trip of many. Going to make it down there as often as possible!

This ended up being more of an exploring and sightseeing trip than a wheeling trip, which was great. My girlfriend and I had a great time. We camped away from people in spots with a view on one of the most crowded weekends of the entire year, went on a few different hikes in Arches, slept like babies in the rooftop tent, ate good food, drank good drinks, and overall just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

An evening hike to delicate arch in Arches NP, and then the first night's campsite, near Sunset Wall- about 30 minutes north of Moab

I bought a $7 set of LED string lights on amazon that run on AA's and lit up the tent super well

Dead Horse Point

And then took a "shortcut" a guy told us about from Deadhorse State Park back to Potash road and into Moab

We drove way up Kane Creek Road to Hurrah Pass and thought about camping on this little "island"- but the way to it has a strip that isn't much wider than the truck. I looked out the window to check out the tire placement, stared down an easy thousand foot drop off on either side and about ******** myself. There wasn't enough room to turn around on the "island" so I had to back out, but I ran back and snapped a few photos. It would have been an unreal view to wake up to, but I thought about drunkenly getting out of the tent to pee in the night and decided against this spot...

But we ended up wedged in this nice corner surrounded by rock wall. Made a nice fire and slept well!

Can't wait to go back, which might be this weekend to meet some people in Canyonlands. Or I may just hit the local mountains for a night...

Everything worked out very well and I was super pleased with the setup! With the exception of the horrendous rub I get above where the pinch weld used to be on the firewall. A tub is happening ASAP. Only mechanical issue I encountered was a pebble stuck in the caliper!

Insanely good weekend! If anyone ever wants to meet up down there, let me know. It's not too far for me. I'd like to run some trails and do a "wheeling" trip after my tub is done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior