seanpistol's 01 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
When I bought these Camburg C/Os, I was also trying to get ahold of a guy in Hawaii that had a set of SAWs listed for $150, and one had a blown seal. I contacted SAW, and found out they rebuild them for $89 each. I would have gone that route. Guy from Hawaii emailed me back the next day, and said since nobody hit him up in two weeks, he chucked them in the trash! He said if I contacted him a week earlier, he would have just given them to me for free! :Wow1:

I searched zoomthelist.com for "tundra coilovers".

Ouch. That's just painful.

dyogim

Explorer
When I bought these Camburg C/Os, I was also trying to get ahold of a guy in Hawaii that had a set of SAWs listed for $150, and one had a blown seal. I contacted SAW, and found out they rebuild them for $89 each. I would have gone that route. Guy from Hawaii emailed me back the next day, and said since nobody hit him up in two weeks, he chucked them in the trash! He said if I contacted him a week earlier, he would have just given them to me for free! :Wow1:

I searched zoomthelist.com for "tundra coilovers".

Was his name Jim and was he located on the Big Island?

dyogim

Explorer
Not sure of his first name, he was in Hilo, though.

That may have been my uncle. He was selling one house to builld another. He had to get rid of a bunch of stuff. The sway a ways he had were part of kit back in the day from Teamwest Swayaways. The coilovers were not your off the shelf kit nd required limit straps Because, the overall length was too long and cauaed the spindle to hit the spring. I had the same kit and they were awesome. I sold my uncle on those and helped him install it when he was on the mainland. Too bad he chucked them.

seanpistol

Explorer
The C/O's sure look pretty. How do they ride?

They ride awesome... the first setting I had them at with only an inch of preload was very plush. Hit all my normal potholes and the ride was much smoother than it was with the OME/5100s. But, my fender height was 2" lower than it was previously- mega rake. It looked ridiculous. I cranked the coilovers down another half inch, which shot my fender height up about an inch. The ride was noticeably stiffer, but I'd still say better than the OME/5100. Might crank them down a little more tomorrow evening to get my fender height to what it was with the OME/5100 and see how it rides.

I'm still very curious to see if these 650 lb 13" coils are going to be able to give me a decent ride height after the weight of the bumper and winch. We'll see.

With the lower ride height and since I haven't cranked the coilovers all the way down yet, I have a lot more rub that I didn't have before- like backing out of the driveway while turning. Also, with all that new uptravel and my mega backspacing (4.5" on the wheels and 1.25" spacers front/1.5" rear), I'm going to rub the upper inside lip of the fender flares where the bolts are. Even before lower profile bump stops. I'm thinking those bolts are overkill and not really even necessary at the top of both the front and rear fender flares... I kind of want the cut that part out.

Wonder if this could work with our flares? It'd obviously leave them held on by just the snaps.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/17769-relentlesstacos-build-up-12.html#post2159816

rickashay

Explorer
Wonder if this could work with our flares? It'd obviously leave them held on by just the snaps.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/17769-relentlesstacos-build-up-12.html#post2159816

It would work for sure. I have thought about doing it in the rear to get more uptravel back there. The problem is once you remove the fold on the edge of the fender, it looses a lot of it's structural strength and the fender becomes flimsy. All my 2nd Tacoma buddies up here with 35's and Long Travel have done this and their fenders are pretty "loose" feeling. I trimmed just the lower section but the front 3/4 of the fender still has the fold and it's still pretty strong. Trimming the flares down like the Tacoma guys do would be pretty difficult with ours though.

Glad the coilovers are working out. You might be ok with your coils. Most of the guys with issues have Double Cab's which we have seen come with a higher spring rate from the factory. You might just be ok with your current settings. Just talking out loud.... but I guess you'll soon find out!

seanpistol

Explorer

seanpistol

Explorer
I wish.... I'm a KC-135 crew chief and within the past week and a half have been on runs to Hawaii, Guam, Japan, California, Texas, and am currently sitting in a hotel in DC. I'll have a lot more time at the end of the month. I did draw up the basic plans for it, did a little triginometry to figure out all my angles and lengths I need to cut, bought the angle iron and cut up the 1x2x3/16 tube I had laying around. Just need some time to work on it!

My Brute Force Fab bumper should arrive next week. Need to take it to the powdercoater, throw the winch in, divorce and mount the solenoid, then POR-15 the frame before I throw the bumper on. Simultaneously swap my coils to the 700lb 14" King springs. Then swap the rear block for the 3 pack AAL and Marlin Crawler u-bolt flip I have sitting in the garage. Then.... Firewall tub.

I've got my work cut out for me this summer.

rickashay

Explorer
I wish.... I'm a KC-135 crew chief and within the past week and a half have been on runs to Hawaii, Guam, Japan, California, Texas, and am currently sitting in a hotel in DC. I'll have a lot more time at the end of the month. I did draw up the basic plans for it, did a little triginometry to figure out all my angles and lengths I need to cut, bought the angle iron and cut up the 1x2x3/16 tube I had laying around. Just need some time to work on it!

My Brute Force Fab bumper should arrive next week. Need to take it to the powdercoater, throw the winch in, divorce and mount the solenoid, then POR-15 the frame before I throw the bumper on. Simultaneously swap my coils to the 700lb 14" King springs. Then swap the rear block for the 3 pack AAL and Marlin Crawler u-bolt flip I have sitting in the garage. Then.... Firewall tub.

I've got my work cut out for me this summer.

Wow you've got a pretty cool job. Travel sucks sometimes but it's also awesome to be able to see so many places through work aka free travel. Excited to see the bed rack come together along with all the other good parts. That BFF bumper is gunna look wicked! Marlin Shackle flip kit... I need to do this. You going to 35's anytime soon?

What are you guys using to mount a shovel on the rack?

I'll probably use my quick fist clamps.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well, if you're going to tub you might as well do it for 35s. It is at the end of the list of priorities so it may not happen until later in the sunmer.

I'm going to have quite a bit of free time in June and July, though... pretty excited to get all these things done and get out and use it!

Oh, and I need to replace the leaky steering rack too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior