seanpistol's 01 Tundra

utroda

Observer
A lot probably depends on type, amount of lift, and then alignment, most specifically caster, probably has a lot to do with it...I imagine MORE caster will put the wheel more toward the bumper.

How does your truck drive?...Does it seem snappy, or squirrelly when trying to keep it straight?

Have you had an alignment, and would you happen to have the numbers sheet for it?

I have a 2 inch leveling kit on the front end and run BFG KO AT. My truck drives great, its responsive, drives straight i don't really even have to hold the wheel in a straight line.

I haven't got a alignment done in a while, but I plan on getting Camburg UCA's and coilovers soon so when I do that I will post the alignment numbers.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
I haven't got a alignment done in a while, but I plan on getting Camburg UCA's and coilovers soon so when I do that I will post the alignment numbers.

It would be interesting to know if your caster ends up being more than the 2.00° upper limit of the spec.

seanpistol

Explorer
Did a little arts and crafts this weekend. While my 10' long snowmobile is in the back of the truck, I need some lockable storage near the wheel wells to hold my recovery gear, some ratchet straps, oil, and odds and ends.

I obtained a 20mm ammo can, cut the back of it off to weld some hinges onto it, welded the eye of an eyebolt through the front to put a lock on, made some proper width U-bolts, and bolted it into the bed. Real happy with how it turned out and I'm amazed at how much can fit inside it.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well, third time's a charm. Got an RD129 ARB locker set up on my stock 3.91 gears and put it in. Swapped the front differential once again- back to my 3.91 gears. Now trying to sell the 4.10 front. Successfully got my money back for the bad 4.10 rear with ARB, but was quite a process. I kind of hate how quickly I can swap either differential, but a 17mm wrench with a ratcheting closed end would have saved me 45 minutes due to the annoyingly tight clearances for the rear two bolts holding the front diff in. The job was extra fun this time since the high for the day hasn't been above 28 degrees.

I'm currently installing my ARB compressor. Ordered a 6 switch holder from OTRATTW- going to set up my compressor and locker switches in my overhead sunglass holder with room for future accessories. I want to get a rearview camera that plugs into my DVD player and get that on a switch to check on a trailer while driving. Hoping to have that all done for the weekend and test the locker and new Duratracs out in some fresh snow. Over a foot of fresh snow is my favorite wheeling.

Any suggestions on make/model for an inexpensive good little CB radio? Maybe one that can pull up the weather as well? Not really sure what I need in a CB.

Firestik antenna on a spring is the way to go? Or a Wilson flex antenna? Thinking I'd want to mount it to the bedrail, a 2' antenna would be just about 3 or 4" above the roofline. I don't see myself needing to talk to buddies miles away, more-so just communicating on trails likely surrounded by trees. Any suggestion on height?

Last edited:

uscg2008

Explorer
Cobra 75wx
dc06ce226420dde4b05da2ec6940ea1d_zps7bc55cfc.jpg

3def4e7cc5ee7c37ece0a9c99dd603c0_zps33e36535.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Well, third time's a charm. Got an RD129 ARB locker set up on my stock 3.91 gears and put it in. Swapped the front differential once again- back to my 3.91 gears. Now trying to sell the 4.10 front. Successfully got my money back for the bad 4.10 rear with ARB, but was quite a process. I kind of hate how quickly I can swap either differential, but a 17mm wrench with a ratcheting closed end would have saved me 45 minutes due to the annoyingly tight clearances for the rear two bolts holding the front diff in. The job was extra fun this time since the high for the day hasn't been above 28 degrees.

I'm currently installing my ARB compressor. Ordered a 6 switch holder from OTRATTW- going to set up my compressor and locker switches in my overhead sunglass holder with room for future accessories. I want to get a rearview camera that plugs into my DVD player and get that on a switch to check on a trailer while driving. Hoping to have that all done for the weekend and test the locker and new Duratracs out in some fresh snow. Over a foot of fresh snow is my favorite wheeling.

Any suggestions on make/model for an inexpensive good little CB radio? Maybe one that can pull up the weather as well? Not really sure what I need in a CB.

Firestik antenna on a spring is the way to go? Or a Wilson flex antenna? Thinking I'd want to mount it to the bedrail, a 2' antenna would be just about 3 or 4" above the roofline. I don't see myself needing to talk to buddies miles away, more-so just communicating on trails likely surrounded by trees. Any suggestion on height?

Wanna drive up to Canada and pull my diffs for me? haha You must have the process down pretty good! Glad your up and running. I also just bought the OTRATTW 6 switch panel and was possibly going to put it in the sunglass case overhead. Although there is so much room below the clock and ashtray for a panel of some kind so I might do something there... I look forward to seeing what you do.

seanpistol

Explorer
Wanna drive up to Canada and pull my diffs for me? haha You must have the process down pretty good! Glad your up and running. I also just bought the OTRATTW 6 switch panel and was possibly going to put it in the sunglass case overhead. Although there is so much room below the clock and ashtray for a panel of some kind so I might do something there... I look forward to seeing what you do.

I should collect and post some tips and tricks for swapping the diffs since I've done the rear 4 times (first was for axle seals due to a clogged breather) and the front twice. Not difficult at all, but there are some things that make it a little quicker and easier.

I definitely thought about making a panel for down low, but I think I'm try to mount a CB down there. I have it in my head that I want acessories up top in the sunglass holder, and eventual lights on horizontal OTRATTW switches on the A-pillar.

I'll drive to Canada and swap your diffs for some bronze SCS wheels with 3.5 backspacing ;)

rickashay

Explorer
I should collect and post some tips and tricks for swapping the diffs since I've done the rear 4 times (first was for axle seals due to a clogged breather) and the front twice. Not difficult at all, but there are some things that make it a little quicker and easier.

I definitely thought about making a panel for down low, but I think I'm try to mount a CB down there. I have it in my head that I want acessories up top in the sunglass holder, and eventual lights on horizontal OTRATTW switches on the A-pillar.

I'll drive to Canada and swap your diffs for some bronze SCS wheels with 3.5 backspacing ;)

That would be super helpful... post up some diff swapping tips when you can! The rear isn't bad, I've done that a handful of times myself but only ever dropped 1 IFS clamshell in my old 95' Pickup and it was a PITA.

LOL, well the black ones I have on order are short term until I can get my hands on a set of gunmetal ones when the truck lands... but you should just drive up to Canada anyway cause it's awesome up here. I'm sure you'd love the sledding.

seanpistol

Explorer
Finished the last piece of the puzzle- got the compressor mounted, plumbed and switches wired.

The way that I routed the air line was barely long enough, but I went down the driver's side of the frame because I felt I could keep it further away from the exhaust.

I wanted to mount an OTRATTW 6 switch holder overhead in the sunglass compartment, so I cut a hole as Trailscape did and epoxied it into place. It needs to be at an angle to have enough room for the wires behind the switches. I painted it with black bedliner because it's my favorite color.

After this entire ordeal, it all finally works. We got 15" of snow in 24 hours yesterday. Time to test it out.

seanpistol

Explorer
Just took advantage of All-Pro's free shipping and ordered a set of sliders.

all-pro-off-road-toyota-tundra-sliders-3.jpg

Going up to the family farm in Idaho for Christmas where I have access to a massive heated shop and some tools I don't have at home- like a plasma cutter. Been doing a ton of research and I'm going to make both a front and rear bumper and a full set of skids.

The truck is going to be fully armored with better approach and departure angles pretty quick here.

andrewwheatley

Keep up the good work dude. I am a few months away from doing a full build on my newly acquired 06 Tundra. You are keeping my stoked alive! Tested out the capabilities of a stock tundra in 2 - 3 feet of fresh snow in the UP this past weekend and was blown away by the comfort and ability. Coming from a 98 TJ, 04 4Runner, and a 87 Vanagon, the Tundra is like a maybach on the trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior