seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
That would be pretty sweet for someone looking for an inexpensive gear change to get your hand on a set of those! Provided they have no issues-

seanpistol

Explorer
UNDERCOVER SNORKEL V 2.0

After much debate on how to go about remodeling the undercover snorkel with the new lack of inner fender liners, I figured out that I could make it go into the cowling. We've probably all heard of pro street hot rods that use the negative pressure flowing over the hood and up the windshield for cowl induction, and if completely sealed, water would have to be up to the windshield to get into the engine. Getting two birds stoned at once.

First pulled the wipers off and the cowling up. Peeked inside it and saw a path to where I wanted to be, and was very surprised at how clean it was in there after 14 years. Reassured that it's a clean source of air.

Made this hole a little bit bigger with the angle grinder and cutoff wheel-

Slowly started cutting to get access to the cowling, here's what it looks like inside-

Purchased a piece of air conditioning duct to use as a flange. Trimmed it, screwed it in with self-tapping sheet metal screws, and siliconed the **** out of any seams to make it water tight-

Used a flex joint to connect it to the PVC I already had. Every seam/joint/connection has been excessively siliconed to ensure it's water tight-

Here's what my "snorkel" looks like from the outside-

Got on the highway after it was all buttoned up and above 4k RPMs it sounds noticeably loud and powerful, drowning out the sound of my exhaust. I simultaneously had the A/C on full blast because I read about people on the Tacoma forums having a noticeable amount of air robbed from the HVAC by the intake when on the throttle. I didn't notice that at all- could be because the Tacoma guys are tapping into the cowl through the firewall, almost directly above where the HVAC is getting its air from.

I wonder if I could actually see a slight increase in MPG from increased airflow?

Super happy with how this turned out.

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Yes, there are already weep holes in the tract and I placed the flange as far up as possible (about a half inch from the bottom) for the same reasons.

seanpistol

Explorer
After the usual fiasco, I'm regeared to 4.56-

Placed an order almost two months ago with East Coast Gear Supply. After a month of not seeing anything on my door, and not being in a rush, I called them- and for some reason nothing had shipped yet. They got it out immediately, sent me a tracking number, and I made an appointment for two weeks in advance to have the gear and axle shop here install the gears the same day I drop the diffs off.

Spent the day before the appointment pulling the differentials, and drop them off early the next morning. Everything went smooth for the rear, but I got a phone call saying I provided the wrong gears and bearings for the front. Turns out ECGS sent the correct Nitro gears and master install kit for the rear, but they sent me the front gears and master install kit for an 05+ Tacoma, although they had my truck correct on file. Clearly their mistake, and they couldn't offer anything else other than having me pay for another set of gears and another install kit and waiting for it to show up. I chose not to do that and sent back the incorrect parts on their dime.

I borrowed my roommates 1984 4wd Tercel wagon we've been working on and drove almost 100 miles with no A/C and a drivers door that would not open to pick up the correct master install kit from Low-Range Offroad. All said and done I am running Sierra gears in the front diff, Nitro in the rear, and Nitro's master install kits in both the front and rear. Glad that's over with.

It seems that every company suggests a slightly different way to break your gears in, but I called and chatted with Nitro on the phone and went with what they suggested. 85-140w dino oil in the diffs. Synthetic is too slippery. 8-10 minutes of driving 40-45 mph and then allowing a cooling cycle for 30 minutes. 4-5 rounds of that, and then 500 miles of no towing or rock crawling or "off-road racing", following by changing the gear oil and filling it up with whatever I like to use. Essentially the gears hardface themself during that initial break-in, and and improper break-in leads to chipped teeth and a voided warranty.

After the initial break-in, I packed up the truck with camp gear and drove 200 miles round trip- from my house at 4700 feet up to 11000 feet. I'm familiar with all these grades and am so damn happy with how the truck drives now! My transmission shift points are much better, I can pull grades without downshifting, and just saw a huge improvement of MPG on this trip. I'm still taking it easy and avoiding hard downshifts, but my truck has balls once again- this time with 35s.

On the way to the camp spot-

Had to turn around and do it again!

Now I need to make a note about my MPG. I drove to Southern CA and back a month and a half ago, with 35s and 3.91s, and got between 13.8 and 14.2 MPG. Terrible. Not to mention the truck couldn't pull a grade without downshifting or anything like that. My mileage was within this 13.8-14.2 range the entire time my truck had 35s/3.91s. After I did the cowl induction snorkel, I filled the tank, reset the odometer and my scan gauge as always, and drove as I normally do to where I normally go. 15.4! Seems too good to be true, and I can't rely on a single tank to provide an average MPG, but I'll hope for the best.

On this weekends 200 mile trip, through the mountains with an easy 20 miles in 4wd, probably at least 2 in 4lo........ I just got 18.4 MPG. I can hardly contain my excitement. And the power is night and day better than it was before! Plus 4lo is so LOW! I usually get better mileage driving to work and back than on a trip through the mountains, but I check my mileage every tank and will post back. I haven't seen a number anywhere close to that since I had a camper shell, 33s, and drove 65 for 350 miles.

Super hyped on the gear change.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow. That is some awesome mpg improvements. Did you get 15mpg with just the cowl induction??

Makes me want to regear and throw a arb in the rear. I'm only on 32s but not sure what to regear too. Maybe 410 or 430
I just want power back due to heavy and larger tires. Want better shift points too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Sounds like you made the right choice in gearing for your uses Sean. I'm down in Portland with my truck right now and have been driving through BC for the past week. Fully loaded with gear and up and down mountain passes, the 4.56 gears have been awesome with the 35s.

Now I just need to open up my fenders like you....my front flares self removed while on a trail a few days ago. The new suspension definitely gained me a bunch of travel. I'll be referencing your cuts when I get home as I will be deflaring. Probably going to follow the lead of my 80 series and fill the holes and cover with lineX.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
:jumping: :wings:
Good work sir! Regearing is one of the best mods that can be done for the overall drive ability of a vehicle after its had larger tires put on. Looking back I don't know how I put up with it before I swapped gears and I'm only rolling 33s! It's the best feeling when you can accelerate up grades without down shifting.

That's super cool that you saw what I'd call a drastic mpg improvement with the cowl induction. I've seen similar improvements from regular snorkels as well, I gotta get a jump on that!
Maybe I missed it but what air filter do you run?

Trucks lookin good!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Makes me want to regear and throw a arb in the rear. I'm only on 32s but not sure what to regear too. Maybe 410 or 430
I just want power back due to heavy and larger tires. Want better shift points too. /QUOTE]

I'd go 4.30. You'd be over geared with 32s but if you go up to 33s it'd be spot on for the v8 and you wouldn't have to swap gears again. And IMO I like being slightly overgeared. The difference off pavement is night and day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94