FG637 "Drag Up"

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hi Shannon,
how about this one?
technically (legally) towbars cannot be home-made however.. even a shop like ourselves cant just whip one up.. they have to be tested and approved..
mine is just for "private property" and "emergency recovery". but has 10mm side plates and 9mm cross-tube, with verti-up welds the whole way around. i dont think its going anywhere in a hurry..
Andrew

Attachments

• IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 34

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Yeah Andrew thats not going any where but its similar to what was on the truck when i got it (only ALOT lighter)

I was thinking something along these lines

the funny shape chassis is due to the tipper.

and yes only for recovery.

towbay.jpg

Ruderacing

Hi Tonka, If i may can i ask a few questions?
How have you found the Erisin combo unit? They look very versatile and affordable. It looks like Ozi Explorer only have a beta version for the android, is it much of a hassle to set up compared to using the pc version?
From what i can see the tablet doesnt interface with the cd/dvd side of it?
Is the tablet very secure in its spot or does it just sit there?
Is the road navigator side of it anygood for in town?
cheers Gav

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I've found the erisin unit ok.. Its Chinese and a bit glitchy but that's what you pay for as there is nothing else on the market like it. Oziexplorer is really easy on the android. I haven't shaken the tablet out yet and you know how ruff these trucks are.
The DVD works through the tablet screen but not remotely. I have had this unit replaced as it got really hot when charging but I think that's my 12v converter.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Ordered a set of 8.25r16 tyres today, hankook z59 for steer and toyoma eBay tyres for drive. Will see how they go.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Did some rock hopping on the week on the weekend. My fuel tank now holds fractionally less then 200l. Has anyone done anything with underbody protection or am I the only fool to need it?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have not done this as yet, but my plans include adding some in the more critical areas.
Specifically, at the front and back.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
My concern is the transfer case and 4wd selectors. The bottom of the radiator is pretty exposed to sticks and wildlife. Diffs are pretty robust they should take care of themselves.

blackduck

Explorer
Ive done some mild bar work under and around my tanks more in the way of protecting them from mild side impact
don't think ill ever be hanging the truck of some rock with them though

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have to say, I agree with Stu.
The protection that I intend to add to my truck is not so that I can compete at Tough Truck. It is to help prevent spear grass and the like from going into my radiator and to protect my water tanks at the rear if I end up coming down something a bit steep.
It all comes down to what you want out of your truck. I don't know about you Shannon, but I am trying to build a capable and reliable 4wd camper, not a rock crawler.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Rock hopping is me exaggerating. Just a few rocks on a beach track. My concern is more to do with the leading edge of the tfer case both have a tendency to bite in. I think it would be better to have slide plates under these. Not for rock hopping but for those times when you run out of ramp over. Especially with the lwb trucks it doesn't take much of a washout to strand yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz