The Breakfast Bomb - Recipe

LifeRemotely

Observer
breakfast_bomb.jpg

Serves: 6
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 to 1.5 hours
Estimated cost: Less than $10

Quiche is good, the breakfast bomb, well it's The Bomb. The recipe originated in South Africa and was discovered by us in Argentina. It could easily be a lunch or a dinner. One thing is for sure, it is a great way to start the day.

We have been using store bought pie crusts since they are so easy to find here in South America. The fillings depend on personal preference and what leftovers you happen to have in the fridge. We like to use slices of salami, ham, grilled steak or chorizo. For the veggies we go with bell peppers, onlions, chives broccoli or potatoes.

The Ingredients

2x large pie crusts, store bought
10 eggs, beaten
1 cup of cheese, cut into chunks
1-2 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 cups cooked meat, diced
1-2 cups cooked veggies, diced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper, optional

The Steps

breakfast_bomb_full.jpg

Start a small charcoal fire or a larger wood fire to make coals.

Prepare the ingredients for the filling. Cook, peel and dice the potatoes. Chop up the cheese, meats and any other vegetables you want to use. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the salt and pepper.

Line the Dutch oven with one of the pie crusts. Pour in the eggs and then add the rest of the filling (cheese, garlic, potatoes, vegetables and meat). Mix lightly. Cover the mixture with the other pie crust and pinch roll to form a seal between the two crusts.

Separate the coals into two piles. One will be used to cook the breakfast bomb and the other to keep a fire going to replenish coals. Make a secure base to place the Dutch oven on so that it is raised 4 to 6 inches from the coals. You want low heat at the bottom, so use about 6 to 8 hot coals. Place the Dutch oven on the coals and line the lid with another 8-10 coals. After 30 minutes remove the coals from the lid, blow the ash off and check to see how the breakfast bomb is doing. If the top starts to blacken, reduce the number of coals on the lid and check every 5 to 10 minutes.

To check if the eggs are cooked stick a knife in the center of the crust, if you remove the knife and there is runny egg stuck to it put the lid back on and bake the breakfast bomb longer.

Serve hot and enjoy.

Thanks to Luis and Lacey at Lost World Expedition for documenting the making of our very first breakfast bomb. (Their photos are better than ours.)

LifeRemotely

Observer
We use a 10" and there is no leftovers. I do not think it matters, just allow more time to bake and don't forget to check it often.

keezer37

Explorer
I made it on Sunday. Came out awesome. Thanks much!

Well it's meat, cheese, potato, and egg so even if you dropped it on the ground it'd still taste good.

It does look good. Wish I could. Maybe if I put a piece of broccoli next to it.

Last edited:

SoCal_80

Explorer
Made it again while camping over thanksgiving. Came out great again. Used egg beaters , low fat cheese and turkey sausage crumbles and it was great. The one thing I am finding is that it is taking 2+ hours to cook. Not sure if I need to start off with more coals or lower the oven closer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier