Down sizing from truck camper to expo trailer. Pros and cons wanted.

Gimike812

I am not sure if this is really the right place but I think it fits here. I 27 and live in Tucson AZ with my and 3year old son and a 8 month old son. We did the minor tent camping in the past and have some of that gear. I started out 4x4/rock crawling with my built Cherokee. We wanted to get out more often so I sold my 24ft enclosed car trailer for a 95 Fleetwood Elkhorn 10.5 cab over camper. On top of my 96 Ford F350 crew cab long bed dually 2wd with 460ci gasser. I then had a flat bed towed behind it with the Cherokee. When I would go out fully loaded I was getting 4mpg in the mts. And 6 in the flat land. Well on one trip out with just the truck hunting offload I slid on ice and ended up way off the road and having to be rescued. Lesson learned only use the jeep for off road. Well last may I got laid off and had to sale the jeep and trailer.

Fast forward i have a new job and now back on track. We want to get back out doors, my problem is the camper is huge on top of my truck is very tall so it limits some places, it weights a ton, and the gas milage is a big down fall, also with out being a 4x4 getting stuck again can be a big problem. Also when taking gear plus kids toys i find the camper being filled and in need of some extra room like a small trailer. A new truck seems to be the logical option but is not an option not wanting to get into a new payment when my truck is paid for. So I find my self thinking about down sizing or maybe deprogressing back to tent camping. The camper is nice we have A/C heat running water and full shower fridge stove and oven. But in no time it will even become to small as the kids grow. I have been a lot about a expo trailer. We recently aquired the family daily driver a 2002 dodge Durango 4x4 5.9L tow package. So far I lifted it 2" and it will be getting 33s this summer along with tube bumpers and roof rack.

So am I crazy to think about going back to the old days by selling the camper and making a trailer to haul behind my Durango. I have an older tent but thinking of getting a good quality tent possibly the Kodiak 9x12 cabin with awning. And for hot water the zodi battery powered unit and a shower/ potty room tent and porta-John. Also looking at the maybe a cabelas camp kitchen for the cooking duties. I already have the cotts sleeping bags out door cooking gear(Dutch ovens, grills, smokers, stoves). I am also thinking of a fridge of some kind.

What is your guys and gals opinions. Any ideas I am missing. Currently we only get to use the camper about twice a year if we have a smaller lighter setup we could possibly go more often.

Ramjet

Explorer
You might try posting in the trailer section and seeing if they can help. I've never had either so I can only comment on going lighter and packing only what you need. Good luck.

preacherman

Explorer
I have a small m416 trailer I use with my wife and two boys. We like it for the ease of use, small footprint and ability to move quickly. We have noticed we have to pack a bit smarter in the trailer but overall we like it and it works well for us.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We are fortunate enough to have both options: A Bigfoot C2.5-10.6 camper that we carry on a '99 F350, and an AT Horizon trailer that we pull behind our FJ Cruiser.

The applications are quite different. It's certainly the case that the truck/camper combo won't go places where a good 4x4 pulling an off road trailer will go. Not that you can't tackle some mild dirt roads with the truck camper, but even with 4WD the high weight and high center of gravity of the truck camper will limit you to relatively smooth and level tracks.

The advantage of the truck camper is comfort, particularly during off-season travel. When the temps are low and there's snow on the ground it can be nice to have somewhere warm to retreat to at night. Also, you can't beat the truck camper for sleeping comfort. We actually have an identical matress to the one we use on our bed at home in the truck camper.

Both have the advantage of being able to be left packed and ready to go with your standard gear so that getting ready for a trip can be as simple as loading clothing, food and other consumables.

We enjoy having both options and use them as appropriate depending on the type of trip we are planning.

Honu

lost on the mainland
We had a really nice conqueror trailer and now back to tent camping :)

Anything can work trailer camper or tent its just what you like :) and how much work you want to do setting up ?

Downside to our tent is longer setup for sure
Upside better mileage no trailer to worry about
Downside no trailer is your gear weight and size is more critical and we had a lot of over comfort luxury things :)

Gimike812

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking over trailers and think I need to start on one to hold all my gear. I can tow behind my Durango for the remote stuff and tow behind my camper to help get all the extra gear to the spot.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I think its interesting you consider it downsizing. To me towing anything would be upsizing. Fortunately the FWC can go anywhere my truck can and I don't have to worry about turning around or backing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94