Will 285/70/17 tires fit on a stock 2003 Z71 Tahoe?

Halligan

Adventurer
I'm having new Toyo AT II's mounted on my Dodge 2500. The 285/70/17 Goodyear Silent Armors I'm taking off have about 2/3 tread left on them. I'm thinking of putting the Goodyear's on my wife's stock 2003 Z71 Chevy Tahoe if they will fit. Her rim's are the factory Z71 17" rims. Will they fit?

Kaisen

Explorer
Maybe. I run them on my 3/4 ton Suburban of similar vintage. My torsion bars are adjusted higher to accommodate. Whether there is a difference in a half-ton Tahoe or not, I'm not sure. But they work perfectly on my truck, and effectively change the gearing enough to help fuel economy.

goodwaves

Adventurer
i ran that size on my '05 gmc 1500 no problems. Went back to 265 to save a few bucks when it needed new tires and got a couple more mpg to boot.

Haakon

Observer
285/75/16 BFG fit on my 1/2 ton 2000 Suburban, they rubbed a little bit at full lock but otherwise fit so I'd expect your 285/70/17 would fit on your 2003 Tahoe.

You may not care, but they'll probably cut your MPG, when I went from 265/75/16 to 285/75/16 I lost about 10%.

Kaisen

Explorer
I hope you guys realize that a taller tire requires an odometer correction, or a correction factor when you calculate your fuel economy. For example, a 285/75-16 is covering 630 revolutions per mile, where a 265/75-16 requires 654.....a 4% difference. So if you're not correcting for it, the larger tires will appear to use more fuel.

In my case, I went from a stock 245/75-16 with 682 revolutions per mile, to a 285/70-17 with only 632 revolutions per mile....a 7.5% difference. It dropped my rpms at a true 75mph by almost 200 rpm. A real benefit to fuel economy.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Short answer: Not really.
Longer answer: Kind-of... They may rub the front of the wheel opening and the rear when you turn sharply. (If you use stock wheels, the clearance is better than with wider aftermarket wheels. ) If you crank the front up about 1", the rubbing will go away for normal driving. So if she never goes offroad, they'll probably not rub at all, but in reality, a 285 is a little bigger than the (tiny) GM wheelwell will handle for full travel and full steer. :(

Good luck!
Chris

Halligan

Adventurer
I'm still on the fence with these tires. My reason for wanting to switch is the tires on the Hoe right now are 265 BFG Rugged Trail's in load range E. These were the factory tires on my ram 2500 that got switched to the Hoe when it needed tires and I put the above mentioned Silent Armors on my Ram. If anyone is familiar with the BFG Rugged Trail's they should know that traction is not a strong suite though they wear like iron. Being load range E also degraded the ride from the P-Metric 265's they replaced.

Now that I'm running the Toyo's on the Ram I figured the Silent Armors would be better for the Hoe by providing better traction along with a better ride since they're load range D. I expect some MPG reduction but I was more concerned with rubbing.

Thanks

cowboy63645

Adventurer
I just went through this with my 2007 Silverado classic. I went from a 255/75/17 to a 285/70/17. I did crank the front up about 2" and in doing so I also added a set of shock extenders to help keep the comfy ride. I had it aligned without issue and retained the factory ride, while going to a larger tire and have the added height. The shock extenders are cheap ($19 on ebay) and add a piece of mind that my shocks can now travel as they should so no bottoming out and no harsh ride. Good luck with your choices and keep us informed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94