New multi use trailer build

klb67

Observer
Good guesses for the most part - she tipped the scales at 780 lbs. That includes the lid, but does not include the canoe rack or spare tire or its carrier. It was a bit more than I expected. I went home and weighed the spare tire - the steel wheel and just a 13" tire was almost 30 lbs. x2 plus the axle, springs, etc. and I can see why it is 780 lbs.

I decided, possibly against my better judgment, to get this titled and licensed in Pennsylvania, rather than going the Maine non-resident route. I will do a follow-up post when I'm all the way through the process to relate my experiences in getting a home built trailer titled in PA - for those not familiar, it is doable, but not a simple process. Yesterday I had and passed my special vehicle inspection, and the trailer must have a certified weight as part of that inspection. Today I used a title/messenger service to complete and submit the paper work to the Commonwealth. I now get to wait 2-3 weeks to hopefully get back my VIN plate, title, registration paper and sticker and license plate. She warned me many of these applications come back at least once with something that needs to be corrected. In the meantime I get to look at the finished for now trailer (until I add more lights, a battery and box, etc.).

Trailer Open Front.jpgTrailer open side2.jpgTrailer Open Tailgate Side.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, that's because you had about 142.5 pounds of thicker gauge steel and valve stem caps you didn't disclose! :)

Nice job never the less. :elkgrin:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Trailer looks great. Good luck with the inspection You will be fine It looks great and is safe.
My first trailer I got the form at AAA and sent in pictures one of each side and a weight slip.
Sent it into the state and got my plate, title and regestration in two weeks.

I have no problem with the new inspection system just the added time and expense to do it.
Once Pa. gets their regestration money and six dollars per year they are happy No more inspections.

Have you seen the crap trailers running around Pittsburgh? The YINZER boat owners " three rivers and hundreds of two times a year trailer towers"
The crappy landscapers pulling garbage. Lights broken or missing, chains not propperly attached. Bald tires, unsecured loads. I see them every day.

I double check my hitch cables and lights every time I pull my trailer.

Let us know how it goes.

klb67

Observer
Funny (and sad, actually) post Mark. The guy that did the inspection took one walk around it and said, looks great- you'll have no problem. You should see the crap that people throw together, call it a trailer, and drag it in here for inspection.

I also live very close to where the wood chipper became disconnected from the dump truck and landed on top of a minivan, killing mom and most of the kids a few years ago - dad and I think one kid somehow made it. I don't mind at all enforcement of safety requirements - I just wish it could be a more simple and less expensive process (I'm over $200 in fees in the process to date). You can see why folks buy junk trailers and use the title.

My only concern now is that PA accept the paperwork and does not start looking for something to reject it. I had to document all the materials I used, and most important, document that I paid sales tax on them. Apparently the shop in FL that I ordered the lights from didn't charge me sales tax, so I had to pay a few bucks in sales tax on those with my application. I hope they don't see a bolt in the picture that might not show up in my receipts.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
It all comes down to the mighty dollar....

Sad story about that chipper accident. It could have been avoided.

There is so much junk rolling around here.

klb67

Observer
I found a big box on my front stoop when I got home - always a good sign. I ordered a 30 mm ammo can and 2 5 gallon water cans from Colemans Military Surplus in Millersburg, PA. By design/necessity I don't have room for a HF or other big tongue box, and no real need at this point. But I thought a box to hold ratchet straps, etc. would be nice. I'll mount the 30 mm can on the tongue, and it sits perfectly between the spare tire holder and the tongue jack. At 17" x 9" x 14" high it is a big box. I placed a spray paint can in the pic for reference. I searched locally to no avail, but shipping from Colemans wasn't too bad. If I ever decide to add a battery to my set up, a big marine battery fits in the box with room to spare. I'll probably paint it black and my put a hinge and lock on it at some point.

First real use of the trailer will be this Friday when we head to camp for the long weekend - it will be loaded with the dog crate, water cans, chairs, assorted other gear, waders, goose decoys, blind bag, motor and the canoe on the rack for use on Monday when early goose season opens in PA.

water and ammo can.jpg

klb67

Observer
A few updates.

It took about two weeks to receive my license plate, registration and sticker from the state - my trailer is finally legal (although I think I should be receiving a VIN tag of some sort to attach to the trailer). It would have been cheaper and easier to go the non-resident Maine route, but in the end all my stuff will be tagged in PA, and it's a 5 year tag, so there's some convenience in that. You can get a home built trailer titled, tagged and registered in PA- it just takes some effort.

The trailer worked very well for us over Labor Day weekend to haul gear about 2 hours north to the mountains. It handled very well loaded and I hardly noticed it was there. I debated about drilling a second set of holes to lower the canoe rack for the road but I didn't notice any sway or other issues with the canoe that high. I wasn't in high winds though - probably the only road test I didn't have on the trip.

This is the trailer and Explorer loaded for the trip (home actually). Don't know where we put all the stuff previously in the Explorer and on the hitch haul - I love having this trailer for this kind of stuff.

trailer loaded1.jpg

Took my son and nephew and my dog on a hike - it was an adventure for them.

Trail1.jpg

The destination - boys love "cricks"

creek1.jpg

and lastly, my view before sunrise on Monday AM waiting for the geese to arrive - we launched the canoe about 1/4 mile up river and floated down to our spot.

river1.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice Pictures.

The trailer looks great and when you decide to start anouther It will be an easy sale with full documentation.

If the state does not send you a VIN number, PM me and I will engrave you one in stainless steel.
" I work at Bunting Graphics Verona Pa. in the Engraving Department."

klb67

Observer
I had to share that my trailer is working out exactly as I hoped it would. Duck season opens for the northern part of Pennsylvania tomorrow AM. I'm leaving tonight after work to head north about 1.5 hours, meeting my father in law on the way. The trailer is in my driveway, canoe strapped to the rack, with the motor, decoys and gear loaded and secure in the bed, and its ready to be hitched up when I get home. My wife had the Explorer until 9:30 last night. I was able to load everything last night but for the canoe before she got home. Without the trailer, I would have started my packing when she got home, plus the drive to my boat storage garage to get the canoe and duck gear. It would have been a long night. Instead, I was ready to go with time to spare, and there will be no rushing around tonight stuffing last-minute gear in the vehicle - I can just lift the lid and toss it in the trailer.

Re the vin tag - thanks Mark. I got mine from the state. I just need to install it at some point. Bunting Graphics - that reminds me that my 5 year old was adamant when I was painting the trailer that I should add lightning bolts. Why, I don't know. I certainly wasn't going to paint them on, but one of these days, I may have to get some vinyl cut to suprise him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz