Dimensions of the JK 3.8 V6?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My google-**** is letting me down.

Does anyone know the height / length / width of the 3.8 V6 found in 2007-2001 JKs ?

Thanks,
-Dan

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Not sure on the dimensions but, as long as your boat isn't over 30' you should be fine with it as an anchor.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Just went out and measured. 22" deep, 26" wide, and 32" deep (including the oil pan)

These measurements include the exhaust headers, intake manifold, power steering pump, A/C, alternator, hard lines...etc.

What type of mileage are you hoping to achieve, and what mods do you have done?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Just went out and measured. 22" deep, 26" wide, and 32" deep (including the oil pan)

These measurements include the exhaust headers, intake manifold, power steering pump, A/C, alternator, hard lines...etc.

What type of mileage are you hoping to achieve, and what mods do you have done?

Thanks very much, I owe you a beer.

Hmm, as suspected, it's wide and short (being a V)

Do you have any estimate on how much longer a different engine could be before it starts to foul the radiator & fan?
(Obviously I'm going to take extremely detailed measurements before I actually commit to anything, I'm just in the early stages of looking at whats possible)

I very much want a diesel, and would hope to get towards 30mpg with 33s, mild lift, stick shift and "granny driving", or cruising at around 60.

I'm currently learning as much as I can about the 80s and 90s Merc 5 and 6-cyl diesels. The straight 6 is ~31 inches long, a full 9 inches longer than your measurement, which might be a problem...

Thanks again,
-Dan

EDIT: Has anyone seen a straight 6 engine conversion into a JK?

Idahoan

Adventurer
I'm a huge fan of the 4.0 but if I was going to do a swap it'd be a Hemi. With my 2013 3.6 and 34s I'm getting 28 to 30 on the freeway. You might consider trading it in on a 12 or 13.

I own/manage a fleet of vehicles and basically go off road for a living servicing remote radio sites. I like our diesels for towing power and range per tank. They beat you up off road. Too much low end torque and no lug. I have pulled my 1 ton diesel up an icy hill with my 03 Rubicon 2 door. Just food for thought.

Because I can't help myself, I think the 3.8 must be about the size of a breadbox because of the limited power :)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm a huge fan of the 4.0 but if I was going to do a swap it'd be a Hemi. With my 2013 3.6 and 34s I'm getting 28 to 30 on the freeway. You might consider trading it in on a 12 or 13.

I own/manage a fleet of vehicles and basically go off road for a living servicing remote radio sites. I like our diesels for towing power and range per tank. They beat you up off road. Too much low end torque and no lug. I have pulled my 1 ton diesel up an icy hill with my 03 Rubicon 2 door. Just food for thought.

Because I can't help myself, I think the 3.8 must be about the size of a breadbox because of the limited power :)

Thanks for the insight.

I won't be putting the 4.0 in there, I'm just wondering if there would be enough length for a straight 6 in the engine bay.

I'm going diesel for a whole raft of reasons, but my needs are very different to most. I'll be taking this jeep to places where you can't readily buy gas for > 1000 miles.

Thanks again,
-Dan

ZMagic97

Explorer
Do you have any estimate on how much longer a different engine could be before it starts to foul the radiator & fan?
(Obviously I'm going to take extremely detailed measurements before I actually commit to anything, I'm just in the early stages of looking at whats possible)

I very much want a diesel, and would hope to get towards 30mpg with 33s, mild lift, stick shift and "granny driving", or cruising at around 60.

I'm currently learning as much as I can about the 80s and 90s Merc 5 and 6-cyl diesels. The straight 6 is ~31 inches long, a full 9 inches longer than your measurement, which might be a problem...

Thanks again,
-Dan

EDIT: Has anyone seen a straight 6 engine conversion into a JK?

No problem Dan. I measure just shy of 5 1/2 inches from the water pump pulley to the fan motor (smallest distance).

Whereabouts are you in the world? I know the I6 swap engine is a big plan for a lot of people, but always shut down due to the amount of work to do the conversion as well as the fact that due to emissions standards you need a current engine to be in the vehicle (same year as vehicle or newer) for the conversion. Now, if this was non-registered and for off-road use only, it wouldn't matter then (as far as I know).

What gears are you currently running? I have the stock Rubi 4:10's and don't have any complaints (About a 4" lift and 35s). Honestly, for off-road use and highway driving (especially in the mountains) I find my 3.8 in the JK much better than my 4.0 I had in my Renix XJ. My XJ struggled to get to Flagstaff from Phoenix, whereas my JK can cruise up mountains with little issues. Driven it close to New Mexico and been to Vegas with the JK as well. Been very happy. Perhaps gearing would be a cheaper, better option?

I know a lot of people hate on the 3.8, but I myself actually like it.

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to talk you out of anything, just throwing some ideas and info out there.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
No problem Dan. I measure just shy of 5 1/2 inches from the water pump pulley to the fan motor (smallest distance).

Whereabouts are you in the world? I know the I6 swap engine is a big plan for a lot of people, but always shut down due to the amount of work to do the conversion as well as the fact that due to emissions standards you need a current engine to be in the vehicle (same year as vehicle or newer) for the conversion. Now, if this was non-registered and for off-road use only, it wouldn't matter then (as far as I know).

What gears are you currently running? I have the stock Rubi 4:10's and don't have any complaints (About a 4" lift and 35s). Honestly, for off-road use and highway driving (especially in the mountains) I find my 3.8 in the JK much better than my 4.0 I had in my Renix XJ. My XJ struggled to get to Flagstaff from Phoenix, whereas my JK can cruise up mountains with little issues. Driven it close to New Mexico and been to Vegas with the JK as well. Been very happy. Perhaps gearing would be a cheaper, better option?

I know a lot of people hate on the 3.8, but I myself actually like it.

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to talk you out of anything, just throwing some ideas and info out there.

Thanks again for the info and perspective. Hmm, It looks like those numbers leave me ~4 inches short for the Merc diesel I6. Extremely detailed analysis is in order.
Of course, having it stretch that far into the engine bay is going to cause clearance problems with the sump and front axle too.....

To be clear - I'm not planning a diesel swap because I hate the power of the 3.8. I personally think it's adequate for my needs with the 6 speed.
I drove a 2.5ltr TJ 40,000 miles happily....

I'm going for a diesel swap because I want the economy, reliability, simplicity AND where I plan on going gas is going to be very hard to find.

I live in the Yukon on Canada, where there are zero legal issues with an engine swap.

Thanks again,
-Dan

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

30 mpg?

Molon Labe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke