Which way should the lid open

• From the back

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • From the side

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

rocrunr

Adventurer
My experience is that it is easier to reach things in the trailer if the lid is hinged on the side vs front to rear. Front to rear requires you to climb in to reach stuff in the front of the trailer unless of course you add a slide out tray when the tail gates down. Just my 2 cents.

TacoDell

Adventurer
to the side... but opens at either ;)

hingeinstall06.jpg

hingeinstall11.jpg

convenient if the lid is easily removed for domestic chores...

IMG_0040.jpg

anti migration for a RTT's content... means easier access and less hassle ;)
^ (if a RTT might be considered/deployed)

IMG_0081.jpg

Flashole

Adventurer
to the side... but opens at either ;)

hingeinstall06.jpg

hingeinstall11.jpg

convenient if the lid is easily removed for domestic chores...

IMG_0040.jpg

anti migration for a RTT's content... means easier access and less hassle ;)
^ (if a RTT might be considered/deployed)

IMG_0081.jpg

I picked up those same hinges today. Like you, I wanted it easily removed for "domestic chores". These hinges seemed like the best solution for that. I'm going to stick with one side or the other though. You bring up a good point about the RTT though. I don't plan on installing one, but you never know. Plus, if I ever sell it, the next owner might want to put one on it.

jkce72

Observer
Mine is hinged in the front. I have a tailgate and plan on cutting a slide out tray in the front though. I don't have a RTT either.

JKJenn

Adventurer
My experience is that it is easier to reach things in the trailer if the lid is hinged on the side vs front to rear. Front to rear requires you to climb in to reach stuff in the front of the trailer unless of course you add a slide out tray when the tail gates down. Just my 2 cents.

I would prefer a side mount but I have a tailgate and no crossmember. I have seen set up with side mount using just one strut. I am using a RTT and leary of just one strut. Thoughts? (hoep you don't mind me jumping on your thread here, Flashole)

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Side mount here as well... I like that I can access it from in my tent, or be off to the side of the road shoulder if I needed to get into it on the road for some reason. Although the ability to open from BOTH sides would have been MUCH more useful - but I don't have a tailgate.

418590_10151376881238294_120579634_n.jpg

3412_10151376878698294_834764615_n.jpg

Flashole

Adventurer
Side mount here as well... I like that I can access it from in my tent, or be off to the side of the road shoulder if I needed to get into it on the road for some reason. Although the ability to open from BOTH sides would have been MUCH more useful - but I don't have a tailgate.

View attachment 154964

View attachment 154965

You have one sweet set up!! I've about all but decided that I'm going to have it open to the side. Other than strut placement, I've heard no real argument that the other way is better.

Jevy

Adventurer
I hinged mine on the passenger side only because I probably will be the one accessing it and I didn't want to have to walk entirely around every time I needed something out of it.

Flashole

Adventurer
I hinged mine on the passenger side only because I probably will be the one accessing it and I didn't want to have to walk entirely around every time I needed something out of it.

My thoughts exactly. I've had a setback on my build though, so I doubt that I get to the lid this week.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne