Calling all who carry their spares on a bumper...

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
All,

I have recently completed a custom Expedition One rear bumper with a spare tire carrier. This project took over 8 months, but it was well worth the wait...

My question is this: How are you addressing the exposure of the spare to UV / sunlight?...Any issues with dry rot? if so, how long did it take?

Thanks in advance for your insight...

Regards,

BWJ

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Every oil change or routine maintenance, swap it out with one of the other 4.

It's a good idea to do this anyways, that way the tread wear is equal on all 5.

Scrib

Observer
It is about 4 years on our RV tires, irrespective of mileage. Never any dry rot, but enough cracks to warrant replacement.

Erik N

Adventurer
Smittybilt makes pretty good tire covers. I bought the "khaki" colored one and it is thick material.

Box Rocket

really? this is a problem? What about the other 4 tires on your truck that are constantly exposed to the elements?

seanz0rz

Adventurer
I dont rotate mine in the group being that it is a slightly different tire than the rest. (ok I'm OCD)

I haven't noticed any cracking or anything, and it has been out there for 4 years.

I will look into a cover for it though.

mowerman

Adventurer
when I was at Pirelli a tyre would have an 'official' lifespan of 3 years. The rubber dries out and cracks, tyres should be stored in the dark in a temperature controlled environment (ideally)
Most people would wear the tyres out before the 3 year span becomes an issue, but on stuff with little mileage (like caravans, maybe RVs? ) tyres should be covered when not in use.
bearing in mind your climate I would get a spare tyre cover

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
We rotate ours in along with our expo trailer tires for even wear. You can also put a rubber lube/softener on all your tires to help keep them supple. Tire covers are always an option if you don't need the tire exposed for mounting things.

In regards to the question: why would this be an issue... The spare sits in the same place getting constant exposure to the same areas, where the other four rotate.

-Daniel Kent

njtacoma

Explorer
unless your truck is an open wheel race car:), the tires are not exposed to the same amount of sunlight as the spare.

Looking at the picture in the first post, the right side tires are now exposed to direct sunlight, the left tires are in the shade. If he doesn't move the truck, sometime around noon that will switch and the left side will be in direct sunlight and the right will be in the shade. The whole day the spare is exposed to the sun directly.

This doesn't account for the time when all four tires will be in the shade, say around noon, and only the spare is exposed to direct sunlight.
In colorado I have actually witnessed a tire that was more weather checked on the "top" half because of sitting on the back of a jeep.
Two good solutions as previously mentioned: cover or 5 wheel rotation.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
OK cover then...

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION! Being that I'm going for a cover, any ExPo covers available? or do we have to cobble something via the custom route?

Regards,

BWJ

Expedition Leader
My question is this: How are you addressing the exposure of the spare to UV / sunlight?...

Thanks in advance for your insight...

I've got two 4WD trucks with their spares on the rear bumper; one gets parked inside and the other doesn't. The one that's parked outside has had the Toyo MT's on it for at least 70,000 miles and the spare is not rotated with the others. There's no appreciable/visible degradation of the rubber.

If I'm going to be camping/wheeling for a week, I'll put my Trasharoo over the spare. Other than that, I don't cover them with anything.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION! Being that I'm going for a cover, any ExPo covers available? or do we have to cobble something via the custom route?

Regards,

BWJ

In my personal search I found very little options for quality covers. I'd lean towards custom high grade canvas personally. :)

-Daniel Kent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles