New fully loaded Moby1 XTR gallery

John E Davies

Adventurer
Pretty cool trailer.

150491_588518937827684_234463182_n.jpg

48160_588600527819525_141316187_n.jpg

Thirteen pics at this time:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588517691161142.1073741825.117644758248440&type=1

I have to say I was dubious about having the spare tire blocking the galley hatch, but being able to add a table or stove to the inside of the tire and position it either right beside the cook, or back against the trailer's right fender, sounds like it would be good. Plus you could hang some bikes or a Trasharoo off the outside of the tire.....

I added a comment at their Facebook page asking if this one would be at OE this year.

EDIT 04/30/13: I do NOT own this trailer. One member here assumed that I did, and PMed me asking questions. I am still in Search Mode in terms of an offroad teardrop. Thanks JD

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
what size engel is that?

I've been lusting over a Moby 1 set up just like this for 6 months now. I just need a to be able to fit a 80 liter fridge as we feed our bull terriers a raw diet and need the additional room for their food. I'm going to be joining the Moby 1 crowd this time next year hopefully.

John E Davies

Adventurer
What's holding you back from pulling the trigger on a Moby1?
I want to look one over in person, inspect the quality of the hidden stuff - wiring and plumbing, welds, etc and compare to the other brands. Plus I won't be able to afford one for a while...... at least, not specced the way I would like it. Maybe I'll get a basic one and have them prep it for some additional stuff to add later. I'll know better after May.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Septu

Explorer
Their new pricing is pretty affordable. Not a fan of the weight though. The XRC is 1600 lbs dry. The XC is 1200 lbs, and $12,500 without options (and narrower). If I did get one of these, I'd be looking at this, and getting them to beef it up a bit, and whatnot.

John E Davies

Adventurer
I just need a to be able to fit a 80 liter fridge
Their options sheet shows only a 45 or a 60 liter fridge. If you don't have them yet, email and ask for the Brochure and Pricing/ Options pdfs. I bet you could add a second small fridge up front in the expedition box to act as a meat locker...... but there won't be enough room for that and a porta potty.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

hollaback55

Explorer
Yeah I have their price list already. Was hoping for them to be able to customize the fridge space. If you look on their website photos and then on the gallery on Facebook you can see a very different stove/sink setup. I believe they changed the design to horizontal for the customer and added a drawer underneath. Also the fridge looks bigger than a 60 liter.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Not sure what type of off-colored cheap looking plywood they are using but it's incomparable to the gorgeous finished Russian Baltic Birch that SoCal Teardrop uses...not even close.

What??!! Maybe it's the lighting in the photo?? I own an Adventure Trailers teardrop (coach portion built by SoCal) and have also seen the Moby1 teardrop in person. The plywood Moby1 was using looked very similar to the plywood in my teardrop. Just say'n.

If you talk to Ashley Grimes (owner of Moby1), you'll find out he's a cabinet maker turned trailer builder. Although Moby1 hasn't stood the test of time from the off road community, they build a very nice looking trailer. Initial quality of "fit and finish" seems to be there. I'm interested to hear first hand knowledge, from a user, how the fit and finish looks after a year of hard use on the trails. For me, that's the real test of quality!

John E Davies

Adventurer
I'm not talking about the skills of anyone. I'm saying that the post of pix by John Davies is not even 4B grade Baltic Birch, if Baltic Birch at all. There's no comparison in those pix to the Birch used by SCT. Maybe its just that trailer alone?
This is one reason I want to see both in person. But honestly I don't give a flip about what the wood looks like as long as the grain is OK and there are no knotholes. I'm more concerned about overall build quality and thoughtful design.

Yes the Moby1 is heavy. I won't tolerate a tongue weight north of 200 lbs fully loaded (full water). That would be a big minus, but I sure like the frame design (what I can see of it) and would even have them extend those side bars to make full running boards to offer rock, tree and splash protection for the cabin. I'm a big fan of both running boards and a stout steel rear bumper on a trailer..... I also want to take a close look at their independent suspension, since I haven't found any decent pics of their frame and axles.

I personally would try to stay away from some of the options like ladder, RTT, AC and dual batteries, to keep the weight and cost down. But I sure like their big expedition rack.

It's hard to make decent evaluations using pictures posted by the manufacturer. I plan to take lots of hi res pics at OE. I'll post them here, and maybe we can make the thread a sticky "Teardrop Gallery" thread so others can post pics of the different commercially available trailers and also include base and optioned specs. Like tongue weight....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Last edited:

gadcustoms

I'm not talking about the skills of anyone. I'm saying that the post of pix by John Davies is not even 4B grade Baltic Birch, if Baltic Birch at all. There's no comparison in those pix to the Birch used by SCT. Maybe its just that trailer alone?

Seams like a strong opinion when I don't really see a picture of good enough quality to tell grade. Having looked at several of Moby1's other photos it looks like they are using a good grade of baltic birch. As far as 4B grade never heard of it the only grades I have ever seen available are B/BB, BB/BB, and BB/CP.

gadcustoms

4B = BB/BB. You won't find this low grade plywood in any SCT. View attachment 155466View attachment 155467

Grade "B": This is a selected one piece face, which is generally light and even in color. Some very small, closed, pin knots may be allowed, as well as some brown streaks. No patches, voids, or material streaks are allowed. The surface is well sanded.

Grade "BB": This is a one piece face, which is generally light and even in color. Occasionally pin knots and mineral streaking is allowed. All open knots and defects other than those allowed in grade B have been cut out and replaced with oval or "football" patches. The patch veneer is the same grade and specie, and is typically of the same color. The surface is sanded.

Grade "CP": This is a face that has been graded out from BB for small defects and mineral streaking. CP typically has more patches than grade BB which may not always be matched in color. Some splits or less than 0.5 mm are allowed. The surface is sanded.

There are all the grades, brown streaks are just a part of the wood doesn't mean it's a low grade.

I also agree with Captm we don't even know that he is using Baltic Birch for his frames, could be a hardwood.

It's all personal preference though.

Last edited:

gadcustoms

I guess it depends on who your supplier is, and their class of grading. http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-products/baltic-birch/grading/

B/BB: Single piece face and back veneer. Face veneers are considered clear and free of defects with a light-uniform color. Back allows 3-6 color matched patches, which are oval in shape and egg sized. Inner cores are solid birch single piece veneers.

Agreed, I am just trying to prove that it's not a low grade because of the brown streaks. I buy a ton of the B grade from three different suppliers for my cabinet shop and it all seems to have brown streaks on one side or another.

TheThom

Adventurer
Seriously, Greengoose!? Are we still arguing about plywood? Please don't look at my build. It won't be up to your specifications. I know that we expect more from a pro shop, but I like a little wood grain with some dark streaks.

Plywood. It's plywood.....

gadcustoms

This has turned into quite an off subject thread I think we should bring is back to what it was. Moby1 has built a bad *** trailer! One that I am sure a few companies out there might get some ideas from.

John E Davies

Adventurer
This has turned into quite an off subject thread I think we should bring is back to what it was. Moby1 has built a bad *** trailer! One that I am sure a few companies out there might get some ideas from.
Thank you. It's OK to drift off topic for a couple of posts, but IMHO it would be better to shout at each other in private, please.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz